• 06-13-2005, 12:55 PM
    miorris
    Connecting Pre Amp +> Integrated Amp +>Power Amp
    :confused:

Hi, I want to know does this connection below is excepted and didn't damage the amp, loudspeakers and the sound performance.

Arcam Alpha 9 PreAmplifier (A)* connect with the Arcam Alpha 10 Integrated Amplifier (B)* and it connected with the Arcam 9P Power Amplifier (C)*. So, (B)* and (C)* act as a bi-amp for the loudspeakers. Any line inputs (from eg. cd, vinyl or others) will plug in the preamplifier to(A)*. So, what is your comments.Pls guide

Miorris
  • 06-13-2005, 01:49 PM
    markw
    With that configuration, you don't need the integrated.
    You don't want or need two preamps in the circuit.

If you wanted to biamp, then you would split the signal out of the preamp, feed one output into the input of the power amp, and the other into the power amp input (not a preamp input) of the integrated, assuming it has one. If not, oh well...
  • 06-13-2005, 02:06 PM
    JohnMichael
    Some of the british integrated amps have preamp outputs specifically designed for biamping. These are different from the style of integrateds where they have the jumper bars from the pre to power amp section and once you pull the jumpers you lose the power amp portion. If you do not already own these pre-amp and amps I would look into the int. amp to see if it has the pre-out and buy just the int. and power amp. If you own all three and the int. does not have a seperate preamp input I would use any of the regular inputs and turn the volume control on the int. up and let the preamp control the volume. It should work out well.
  • 06-13-2005, 03:51 PM
    Geoffcin
    Here's the problem you may have
    Quote:

Originally Posted by miorris
    :confused:

Hi, I want to know does this connection below is excepted and didn't damage the amp, loudspeakers and the sound performance.

Arcam Alpha 9 PreAmplifier (A)* connect with the Arcam Alpha 10 Integrated Amplifier (B)* and it connected with the Arcam 9P Power Amplifier (C)*. So, (B)* and (C)* act as a bi-amp for the loudspeakers. Any line inputs (from eg. cd, vinyl or others) will plug in the preamplifier to(A)*. So, what is your comments.Pls guide

Miorris

When using different amps for bi-amping it is nessasary to have the gain matched exactly. Although from the same company, the Alpha 10 intergrated, and the 9P amp may have slighty different gain levels. This will cause a mismatch in your speakers levels.
    Most amps list the signal gain, I'm not sure that an intergrated would.