Forum Regular

Connecting external amp??

I have an old Yamaha CR-840 receiver and it has input and output connections on the back that are labeled "Adaptor". The manual says that this for connecting a graphic equalizer, Dolby Unit or other audio equipment.

Does anyone know if an amplifier could be connected using thes terminals??

Suspended
    It cannot. That is a processor loop which will not allow the signal to be adjusted via the volume control. You need a preamp output in order to hook up an external amp.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the reply.
    The reason I asked is that I saw an old thread in the Audiogon forums where someone was talking about this same receiver and they had said that there was a pre-amp, however, there is nothing labeled pre-amp anywhere on it, so just thought I'd take a shot.
    Thanks again.

It's in there, believe me.

Receivers consist of a tuner, a preamp and a power amplifier, all integrated on one chassis. Your only acccess to it is via the inputs on the back. It's output is fed directly (and internally) to the power amplifier on that chassis. A few receivers offer preamp outputs on the back panel to feed external power amps, but it doesn't look like yours is among them. Its a feature, not a statement of quality, though. Yours is excellent.

Forum Regular
    Thank you for the reply.
    You and Mr. Peabody, and many others help to make this a great resource for learning about audio.
    Have a great new year!!
    Last edited by Ryukyu; 12-26-2006 at 11:33 AM.

Thread Information