Thread: Component Recs?

Forum Regular

Component Recs?

Am finally taking the big step of upgrading my old early-90s era stereo system (Adcom amp/pre-amp (GFA 555 and GTP 555II); Definitive BP8s; NAD CD/DVD player). The first step is completed with the purchase today of PSB Synchrony OneB's. The rest I really could use some advice with. Since I am a part of a family unit (one could say "King", I supppose, but that is purely self-delusion), I need something with the flexibility to do a good job with movies while at the same time satisfy my need to spend some quality time picking apart some favorite CDs. For the DVD piece, am leaning towards letting a PS3 do that work, freeing up some budget $ for the purchase of a good CD/SACD player. So here is what I am considering:

Total budget $: $6000

Speakers (done): PSB Synchonry OneB ($2300 out of the budget)
    CD/SACD: Marantz SA8001 or similar
    Amplification: Frankly, no idea. Am considering an Arcam AVR350 or Adcom GTP-870HD. I don't intend to do all the surround yet, but seems to make sense to spend the $ on a unit that can handle this piece when I get to it later this year/early next. The concern is whether or not I can get good quality two-channel musical reproduction with a receiver. Can a decent AV receiver do good audio?

Any suggestions, etc, would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance for comments...
    Jon

Looks like you have a good start. I would look into NAD HT receivers or their separates. Outlaw audio makes good separates. I use the Adcom GFR 700 AV receiver. It lists for $2K but you can get a refurbished unit or B stock for about $1200 at www.onecall.com Adcom also sells B-stock but for a higher price than onecall I believe. All units come with a 3 year adcom warranty.
    Its a very good unit, high power all 5 channels with 2 additional pre-amp outs to run 7ch. 145wpc 8 ohms, 268 at 4ohms. Runs my Magnepan 1.6's very well.
    They make an upgraded unit the GFR 700HD as well. You might want to consider this as a HT receiver. Its got some better features vs the plain GFR-700 but it has the same power

For a very good cheap DVD player look into the Oppo 980HD or the 981HD. The former is better for audio and the latter is better for video. $169-$229. www.oppodigital.com. These are very good units despite the price and there are many very good professional reviews on these units. They compare very well to units costing 2-3 times more. In fact, I'll be buying the oppo 980HD for its SACD play back and upconverting DVD player.

The speakers and Marantz SA8001 are excellent choices.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    You should hang on to your 555 power amp, if I remember correctly what Nelson Pass wrote on DIY the 555 is his original design for Adcom. The 555 could either run off a receiver for the mains or you could get a preamp processor and another Adcom multichannel amp to add to the 555. Adcom has a processor but I don't know that much about it. The NAD T175 runs about $1,800.00. Arcam has a processor for around $2.5k that isn't bad. If you get a decent processor it can play CD while using your DVD player as transport. So you can save money there. And, if the CD playback doesn't seem adequate you can always add a separate unit later. Onkyo Pro 885 has all the latest HDMI and HD audio features for around $1,800.00 as well. Or, if you really want to blow the budget in a few months Marantz will be shipping their new processor and matching multichannel power amp. A few I've talked to who went to CES talked like this package was impressive. The processor is estimated to cost around $2999.00, not sure on the amp.

Forum Regular

Thanks...need help with next step

Thanks for all the help. Am now leaning towards keeping the GFA-535ii (the 555 was a typo) and tossing the GTP555 for a pre/processor. That will save a little on the remaining budget that I can throw at a good CD for audio while providing the flexibility for an upgrade to surround later for the Friday night family movie. Hopefully that will provide a good all-round system that meets my need for a quiet night of jazz while providing a decent setup for the kids tv viewing.

So...any good recs on a pre/pro? Looked at a Rotel 1069 today that seemed like it might do the trick, but of course would want to take it home for a demo. As far as CD player, am considering the Naim CD5i or Cambridge Audio Azur. Any and all suggestions welcome and appreciated!

Welcome jonsocal

Have you fired up those PSBs yet? I would be very interested in your opionion of these speakers. I may be upgrading in the future and will be looking at the Synchonry and Thiel towers.

I currently have my PSB G-Design towers powered by Marsh Sound Design separates that seem to be a very good match with them but of course this is 2 CH only. To be honest, I don't miss MC at all, even for movies.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

I'd do that too

Quote Originally Posted by jonsocal
    Thanks for all the help. Am now leaning towards keeping the GFA-535ii (the 555 was a typo) and tossing the GTP555 for a pre/processor. ...!
    I had a 555II and I agree with Mr.P and yourself that there is no rush to replace that power amp. I had one for awhile and found it a very nice sounding amp, a tad warm and "dark" without the common solid state harshness. I would say the 555II doesn't have high-end resolution but it is a nice amp.

Suspended
    You can try your 535 but depending on the load your speakers present the 535 may be a little under powered. You can find 555 or 5500 ridiculously cheap used.

Did you see the processor recs in post #3?

Take a listen to Arcam CD players, they start around $699.00 and I've always found them to be exceptional.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Welcome jonsocal

Have you fired up those PSBs yet? I would be very interested in your opionion of these speakers. I may be upgrading in the future and will be looking at the Synchonry and Thiel towers.

I currently have my PSB G-Design towers powered by Marsh Sound Design separates that seem to be a very good match with them but of course this is 2 CH only. To be honest, I don't miss MC at all, even for movies.

I have only used the set that I brought home from the dealer for a day, so have not had a lot of time with them. First impression can be summed up as "incredible", however! The PSBs deliver beautifully clear mid-range and highs with solid reproduction of the bass lines. Vocals come through with pure clarity. That said, if you are a big fan of deep thumping bass, these may not be for you unless you add a sub to the mix. I spent a lot of time with these listening to Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" and, although this is a very simple and clean recording, I heard detail that brought me right into the recording studio with this master of the blues.

On the pre/pro side, I did see the recs above. I am not a big fan of Onkyo, but this impression was formed during my college years and will definitely check these components out. Again, thanks for all the help - this discussion has been very useful in helping me crystalize my thinking on the upgrade.

Suspended
    What price were you shopping for a processor?

Forum Regular
    The PSBs with stands ran $2300. Total budget is $6000, so have $3700 left for a replacement CDP, pre/pro. Although I have surge protection, I don't have a power conditioner in the system, so that might take some additional $.

Suspended
    If you get a decent enough processor you may be able to make do with out a stand alone CD player. Using your DVD player as transport and the DAC inside the processor for CD playback.

Forum Regular
    Oh sure...throw another wrinkle into the process!

I have to say that this has been quite an education coming up to speed on the current state of audio given the tremendous evolution that has occurred. Speaking of which, I was reading an article in Absolute Sound last night that suggested that CDs (and DVDs) are likely going to fade into the background over the coming few years in favor of media servers and increase in high/audiophile quality downloads. I think that the only real issue holding back this move right now is the current state of broadband.

Suspended
    In a way it would be nice not to have to keep finding room for my expanding music and video collection but I am just not a download guy. I would think I'm not the only one who is like that, if so, music could become only available to a certain segment of the population if they did away with the disc. What a radical change that would be, there has always been some tangible medium from 78's to 45's to LP's to discs. Just think though, without ever being able to actually say you own the download, some one will always have control of it. I guess in a way they do now with copy protection but it just feels different when you have a disc or LP in your hand opposed to a download file which could be subject to so many more dangers that could destroy or corrupt it. Many of the online services seem to have their price structure set to not be so consumer friendly too. Like the one where you pay so much a month for limitless access to music but if your subscription elapses so does all the music you downloaded. Even if everything was perfect though I have been listening to music for so many years in basically one frame of mind, go to the rack, pull something that sounds good and put it on, this download thing don't appeal to me at all.

Being a service based economy though I'm sure some one will figure out how to help the geezers who are download challenged

Forum Regular
    Thanks for responses. After a visit to my one of my favorite music stores, I am currently auditioning a Creek Destiny integrated and am quite impressed with the match between it and my PSBs. To help keep the budget in balance, I am running a Music Hall CD-25, which is significantly better than the old NAD T 550.

Question: How much of a difference is there between the CD-25 ad CD-25.2? I can get the floor model CD-25 for $475. Is the $125 in savings worth it?

One other question: The Creek sounds fantastic. Before I pull the trigger on this unit, is there anything that I should be thinking about?

Suspended
    I have liked the Creek components I've heard. There are many good brands but if you like the Creek and fits your needs, get it. If you haven't heard much to compare the Creek to you might want to listen to a couple other things to put your mind at rest that you've made the right choice, but if you've heard some good amps and the Creek does it for you, then pull the trigger and start having some fun listening to your favorite music.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for everyone's help on this. Ultimately, it comes down to what sounds the best for the money you have to spend. For me, the Creek Destiny/MH CD25.2/PSB Synchrony OneB combo is a perfect match!

Now the only things to think about for potential future upgrades are speaker cables (using Monster currently) and power conditioning....

Suspended
    What price were you thinking for the cables and power? www.amusicdirect.com is closing out some Audioquest stuff at a good price. Right now, Siltech, is my favorite cable brand for IC's and speaker, www.spearitsound.com I believe still has some stock on sale. I'd recommend something from the MXT Pro series.

I've had good luck with PS Audio power products but they can be pricey compared to like a Monster outlet device. I feel you get what you pay for though. Power products and cables are hotly debated though, the only thing you can really do is look around to see what you might want to try and do so. If it works and you recognize a benefit, great, but if not, then you can always return it. Just make sure you buy from an outlet that allows for returns, most websites and even local stores do. If you have a "real" stereo store in your area they should have products available to bring home to play with.

I own a MH 25.2 cdp and really liked the sound. It was very detailed and extremely transparent. But it was a little fatiguing with my amp so I modified it which changed the sound 180 degrees to a more foward sound (less preferable to me). From what I've read about the older MH25 the 25.2 is supposed to sound much better and some of the flaws of the 25 were addressed. You might also want to consider the Cambridge Audio 640c v.2 CDP. You might be able to find a used one for a similar price as the 25.2.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP