A complaint of NAD160 + NAD216 combination.

I own NAD 160 + NAD 216 to drive my Canton's Vento 807.

This combination of amplif. provides me a deep musical sound, with great soundstage, clarity, with enough bass, but on the other hand, the range is not well balanced. There is plenty of bass (sometimes sort of boomy) and highs seem a bit obscured.
    My biggest complaint is that frequency around the bass drums are muddy, I listed to rock a lot and here it is the most notable.

I compared this combination with NAD319 (I used absolutely the same cables and speakers). Yes, the range was better balanced, bass drums were OK, just, this sounded more harsh and I little missed the pros described above.

(I used NAD 320BEE with other canton's before and the drums were superb there).

I'll appreciate every comment, or experience you can share with me to improve the performance of 160+216.

Thanx.
    prog metal

Suspended
    I'm not that familiar with the sound between various NAD components. One thing you might try is experimenting with speaker placement and toe in or out to see if it helps anything.

Suspended

Have you considered...

...that it might be room interaction? Perhaps a couple of judiciously placed bass traps might help.

thanx guys,

but perhaps I didn't describe my problem exactly.

I complain about sound character of these amplifiers, that means, when I listen in very close area to speakers, I hear the bass drums are not that bright, dynamic, blowy and with the specific contour.
    I guess, some mids are pushed and might be some different cables can help.
    (As I mention also highs are not that great)

So. I don't mind about some boomy bass in my room, I know that's matter of acoustic.
    prog metal

Suspended
    It may just be the sound of that amp, any chance of trying a different one? When time allows I will look those models up to see if anything stands out. What cables are you using now?

MR Pea.. as I mentioned here in my first post, I shortly compared it with NAD 319. I think, bass drums were reproduced much better, but I cannot say that 319 is fully better.
    Might be, that power amp. NAD 272 ,or integrated 370 could be a choice for me, but I didn't hear those.

I had also experience with NAD 320 BEE, but with my previous speakers and that sound was different again.

I'm using Kimber http://www.kimber.com/Products/LoudS...s/8PR/8PR.aspx speaker cables, but signal cables are too poor Monacor cables.
    prog metal

Suspended
    Do you have access to any other brands, Arcam, Primare, Krell, or on a budget Adcom? If you buy from a NAD dealer see if he will let you borrow one of NAD's Master series to try.

I haven't used Kimber but they seem to have a good reputation. I wish I had the answer for you but I'm just not that familiar with different models of NAD. Until maybe a year ago we didn't have any one in my area that even carried them.

Thx for tips, some of those brands are accessible, but my budget is not high. NAD master is too expensive for me.
    I'll try to collaborate with my NAD's and also to get to listen any other amp.

Commonly they coupling canton's witch Denon, or Onkyo, but I wouldn't go this way.
    prog metal

Recently I provided my NAD 216 to general maintenance/improvement to official service man. A lot of capacitors have been replaced and some other changes.

It helped to get much clearer sound overall, clearer highs and more control on bass, but the character stays in way I described it above.

Since , I'm quite satisfied with my setup, I'm just searching on internet and reading the forums to find the good amps.

That's pity , that NAD M2, M3 , Krell s-330i... are out of my price range, but from second hand it could be better.

But definitely I have to treat my room acoustic in my new flat I'm moving to.
    prog metal

Suspended
    If you are interested in trying Krell look for one of their older integrated amps used. There is a kav-300i (without the "S") which is one of Krell's original integrated amps and should be your lowest price alternative in Krell. The 400xi probably the next from there. The best Krell integrated would be the kav-500i or 300iL.

Keeping in a budget I think you might like the Adcom power amp either a gfa-5500 or 555.

If wanting good bass definition keep with amps known for high current.

Thread Information