• 01-22-2007, 01:46 PM
    ychousa
    Cleaning an old and rusted McIntosh amplifier
    Hi, everyone! I have an old McIntosh MC2300 power amplifier. It was burned about 6 years ago. I didn't know anything about equipment maintenace at that time, and due to my ignorance, one day it made a big beep sound, smoked, and died. Since then, due to its super heavy weight and for fear of big fixing cost, I have stored it in the living roon near TV as a kinda rack for other equipment.

It was a year ago that I found my newly adopted dog had been peeing on the front panel for at least several months. The power and volume switch are not working(kinda fixed), and rusted with his urine. :incazzato:

Now that I have time and energy to get dirty to fix it, I want to know where to start this long and winding task. Due to the nature of the problem and cost, I want to do it myself, if possible. Any advice is really appreciated.
  • 01-22-2007, 05:07 PM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ychousa
    Hi, everyone! I have an old McIntosh MC2300 power amplifier. It was burned about 6 years ago. I didn't know anything about equipment maintenace at that time, and due to my ignorance, one day it made a big beep sound, smoked, and died. Since then, due to its super heavy weight and for fear of big fixing cost, I have stored it in the living roon near TV as a kinda rack for other equipment.

It was a year ago that I found my newly adopted dog had been peeing on the front panel for at least several months. The power and volume switch are not working(kinda fixed), and rusted with his urine. :incazzato:

Now that I have time and energy to get dirty to fix it, I want to know where to start this long and winding task. Due to the nature of the problem and cost, I want to do it myself, if possible. Any advice is really appreciated.

sob...sniffle..whimper
  • 01-22-2007, 09:43 PM
    icarus
    you have got to be kidding me.. your dog was peeing on it!! that is one of the most tagic yet in a sad way the most hilarious thing of heard(since it wasn't mine of course).

sadly I don't have a clue where too start, i just had to comment on your dog peeing on your amp. Sorry
  • 01-23-2007, 08:03 AM
    basite
    You broke the unbreakable!
    what about: send it to me, I'll let it repare, and then I'll keep it?
    nah, just kiddin,

I would take it though...

if it smoked, and died, you probably won't be able to repair it, so you'll have to let a qualified technician do it for you, and it's even better to let an official mcintosh repaircenter do it.

but still, I'll take it...
    at least if you clean the urine off it...

greetings,
    Bert.
  • 01-23-2007, 01:35 PM
    JoeE SP9
    If you fix it the dog will probably urinate on it again. If you won't get rid of the dog you should give the amp a good home. Mine is very good.:ihih:
  • 01-24-2007, 04:14 AM
    Dusty Chalk
    Do you have a dog? Because he might try to "say hello" to the other dog.
  • 01-25-2007, 12:35 AM
    jpchleapas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ychousa

Do a search but if ANY of the dog pi$$ got inside and on the boards just throw it out or pay for brand new boards. Even if you can find a tech to repair it there is a good chance a future problem from the watering would happen and it could even cause future shorts starting a fire. I would just toss it myself, or sell it for the case and face plate parts only clearly stating the nature of the problems with it honestly. Time to put that dog down perhaps? I am a former dog owner for over half of my life. I always treated my dogs like a member of the family. Saying that I would not hesitate to put down a dog that pissed on my stereo gear like my $3,500 ADA HT amplifier, 60" HDTV. Or "The Dog Whisperer" would need to rescue that dog from death row in the nick of time. Some forms of bad dog behavior should never be tolerated. Good luck! John
  • 02-25-2007, 10:26 PM
    poweredamp
    With the complexity of the situation, the smartest thing to do is to have the thing serviced. Don't waste the beauty of your amp!