AR Newbie Registered Member

Classe -vs- Integra DTC 9.8

I currently have a Classe ssp-30, I don't know enough to determine if i should buy an Integra DTC - 9.8. i know classe is a fine piece of equipment. would going w/ the Integra be a lateral move? the only benefit I'm sure i would realize is the HDMI 1.3 and the switching capability that would come with the latest piece of gear. the Integra is getting some rave reviews. does anyone have an opinion on if i should or shouldn't? this system will primarily be used for movie and satellite tv any help would be appreciated.

Suspended
    The 9.8 has all the latest technology but I think it would be a slight step backwards from Classe in sound quality. If you have Blu-ray or HD-DVD with the newer HD audio though it could even things up a bit in sound.

I'm looking at making a similar move though. I'm looking at the Marantz AV-8002 "?" that's do to come out soon. I'd be surprised if it sounded as good as the Primare but I'd like to get the newer technology and it's only for surround sound. With that being said I have thoroughly enjoyed a high end surround sound. Many don't think there's much difference for HT but I'm here to tell you there is. Imaging, sound stage, direction and overall response is just as important in HT. And, as in music, much of the sound has to do with the original recording and production. Marantz is packing a lot in it's package for $3k but only time will tell.

Gab
    Forum Regular

Cool

Why not simply use the Rca jack into your amp. I do it and its fine.Hdmi is just another
    cable with no advantage at all for audio/digital use.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    thanks for the replies! please keep them coming.

Utmostjamin1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gab
    Why not simply use the Rca jack into your amp. I do it and its fine.Hdmi is just another
    cable with no advantage at all for audio/digital use.

id say using an HDMI cable to send Pure DSD from an SACD player to the integra is an advantage...
    Klipsch RF-7 fronts
    Klipsch RC-7 center
    Klipsch RS-7 surrounds
    Velodyne DD-15 Subwoofer
    Integra DTC 9.8 Preamp Processor
    ROTELRMB 1095 Multichannel amplifier
    Oppo DV-980 H
    Samsung BDP 1500
    Sony 80 GB Playstation 3
    Sony Bravia XBR 46" LCD HD-TV

Gab
    Forum Regular
    ok DSD use 64 x oversampling over 1 bit, i have nothing against philips , they are underated products, but you get way much crappy sound with 1 bit conversion.
    64 x oversampling just create more problems. My recommandation : keep far far from sacd and dsd , just my opinion.

for the nerds : http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/surr.../page_07.shtml
    for the ears : go listen and compare ,
    i have used 20 bit, 22 and 24 bit and i dont see the point to upgrade* to DSD, its like polishing under the car to make it shine. idk lol

Thread Information