SCH
    AR Newbie Registered Member

Bi-amp and bi-wiring

I'm no expert, so forgive me if I'm not clear on this, but...My speakers have bi-wire capability. I am using only one amp to power them and the amp does not have outputs for bi-wiring, as some do. There are two sets of speaker outputs, though. Would it work to run "A" set of speaker outputs to one set of posts on the speakers and then run the "B" outputs to the other set of posts? My preamp has two sets of outputs. What if I ran those to two identical amps and then ran the outputs of both amps into the two sets of posts on the speakers? Does any of this increase performance? If I use two amps, is there a crossover available where the amps would be amplifying only the frquencies that go to the set of posts they're wired to?

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Before you blow something up just pause for a moment.

First, Bi-wiring really doesn't have anything to do with your amps capabilities, because Bi-wires are wires that have 2 connection points at the amp end and 4 connections at the speaker end (2 high, 2 low). You said that your speakers are able to be bi-wired, which is good to have, but not necessary and I had mine bi-wired, but didn't really notice a huge improvement overall. It depends though. Bi-amping is quite different though and you will need 2 amps to do so. Each amp is working exclusively on each speaker in this case and your amp should have instructions on how to bi-amp so you know where to connect. When you bi-amp you will need a total of 4 runs of speaker with 2 connections on each end (+ and -). There are plenty of threads on here about bi-wiring and bi-amping. You will certainly get MORE benefit from bi-amping because you are making your amp work half as much so therefore you are able to get more power to your speakers.

Thread Information