Thread: Classe Amps

Classe Amps

I'm wanting to make a purchase in the not to distant future of a new two channel amp/control amp and doing a little research. Been thinking about Classe amps and wondered if any body has any information about them they could contribute?

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    I'm wanting to make a purchase in the not to distant future of a new two channel amp/control amp and doing a little research. Been thinking about Classe amps and wondered if any body has any information about them they could contribute?
    Current Classé stuff is damned expensive!

They used to have somewhat lower priced models, but they were bought by B&W who also own Rotel. After that I suppose the model line was modified so that Classé wouldn't compete with Rotel, i.e. Rotel remained a mainstream line while Classé became exclusively high-end.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Current Classé stuff is damned expensive!

They used to have somewhat lower priced models, but they were bought by B&W who also own Rotel. After that I suppose the model line was modified so that Classé wouldn't compete with Rotel, i.e. Rotel remained a mainstream line while Classé became exclusively high-end.
    Yeah I've read about how over priced Classe is. But those who say its over priced say its some of the best stuff they have heard. I see its compared to Krell a lots...not having the shear power as Krell but more detailed and refind. Their CDP's also get very good reviews as well. Even the used stuff is very expensive. I wonder if MR Peabody has had a chance to listen to Classe?

Suspended
    Frenchmon, Best Sound on Lindbergh near Olive carries Classe'. Some of their older stuff I liked pretty well but I personally wouldn't own any of the newer gear, the sound isn't my thing at all. Who ever told you it was the best they have heard must not have heard much The build quality is top notch. The sound to my ears is the absolute deadest I've ever heard. It makes the recordings sound like you are listening in a padded room.

Before pulling the trigger it would be a big mistake not to listen to T+A. It's not the best known here in the U.S. but the sound is very good. My first impression of them was Arcam on steroids. T+A has the speed and detail but does it better and more seductive. You can listen at Music For Pleasure. If possible talk to Duane.

The Sound Room is supposed to have Levinson but I don't know if they have any on display.

There's a link in my signature to T+A, it's the page with my CD player but you should be able to link to the home page. I want to check out the Power Plant one of these days just for curiosity.

Thanks Mr.Peabody for the heads up. I've seen some of the older Classe stuff on audiogon and wondered about it also. The new stuff sure looks impressive, but you gave it the thumbs down. I just might go over there and and take a listen. Also when I get the time I'll go check out the T+A.

I remember you saying a while back you had a friend who had Marantz Reference. Did you ever get a chance to listen to it? IF so what did you think? Im interested.

frenchmon

Suspended
    If you listen to the Classe' please let me know what you think. You may enjoy it, you like Rotel more than me. Unfortunately, I didn't get to hear the Marantz Ref. This was a guy who worked a MFP for a while and then moved on. You should listen to T+A, I'd like to see what you think.

www.amusicdirect.com carries several higher end lines as well including BAT. You might browse to see what you think. I really want to hear some of that Edge gear. A guy told me that is supposed to be the shtuff.

Forum Regular

It's been about 6 years ago when I last heard Classe

I recall that I was impressed with the massive mono-blocks, pre-amp, and CDP--all of it Classe-- as the Classe was hooked up to Aerial Acoustics Model 10-T speakers. My only recollection is how authorative and suave the presentation was in the demo room. Of course the Classe has always been eye candy to me so I was impressed with all of it.

Having said that.... my recent auditioning and eventual purchase of Belles gear has me believing that Belles amps are some of the best bang for the buck audio gear in this hobby. Check out Belles if you get an opportunity to hear it.

Good luck with you selection.

LeRoy

Thread Information