nightflier

B&K Amp runs too warm - need a preamp w/ 12v. trigger

I have a B&K Reference 4420 amp that I am very happy with, but it really does run warm when in use. I also noticed that it stays warm if left on all the time. What I need is a preamp with a 12v trigger so that I can control the amp with the pre on/off.

- I don't mind buying used, but I really would like a good sounding preamp (I am replacing a B&K PT3-II preamp, so I'm hoping for something that's an upgrade from that).
    - need phono stage
    - Some Rotels have a 12v trigger, but I have no idea which models I should focus on.
    - A few Adcoms (GTP-502) also have a 12v trigger, but they are hard to come by.
    - $400-600 price range (or is that too low?)
    - I would prefer to steer clear of tubes and passive preamps - I know they sound better, but tubes run hot and passives seem a little too finecky.

Any other brands/models that come recommended?

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Your amp is running warm because of the amount of bias on the output stage - nothing to be concerned about. To find a preamp for $600.00 that is a worthwhile upgrade over what you now have, comes with 12V trigger and a phono stage is asking for a lot. For $800.00 you can get a Parasound Halo P3. You may also find Classe CP-35s (with and without the phono option) coming up on Audiogon from time to time in the $600 - $650 range. If you find a unit without phono, no problem. There are a number of decent outboard phono preamps available starting in the sub-$200 range.

Halp P3: http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...asp?sku=PARHP3

Phono preamps: http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.401/.f
    Last edited by Glen B; 07-08-2005 at 11:09 AM.

nightflier

Some other options

Quote Originally Posted by Glen B
    To find a preamp for $600.00 that is a worthwhile upgrade over what you now have, comes with 12V trigger and a phono stage is asking for a lot.
    Glen,

Thanks for the input. As I'm searching online for specs, I'm realizing that I may be asking for too much. The problem is that I'm having a hard time finding any decent phono stages for less that $200 (which brings the cost up considerably). If I ignore that for a minute, what are some preamp make/models that I could consider that have a 12v trigger (no phono) that would be a decent upgrade from the B&K PT3-II? So far these are the only ones I've found:

- Adcom GTP 502, 506, 602 (although I don't consider these much of an upgrade)
    - Parasound Halo P3 (very nice unit)
    - Classe CP-35s (will look into this)

I know that Rotel has several models that include a 12v trigger. Any good ones that come to mind?

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Glen,

Thanks for the input. As I'm searching online for specs, I'm realizing that I may be asking for too much. The problem is that I'm having a hard time finding any decent phono stages for less that $200 (which brings the cost up considerably). If I ignore that for a minute, what are some preamp make/models that I could consider that have a 12v trigger (no phono) that would be a decent upgrade from the B&K PT3-II? So far these are the only ones I've found:

- Adcom GTP 502, 506, 602 (although I don't consider these much of an upgrade)
    - Parasound Halo P3 (very nice unit)
    - Classe CP-35s (will look into this)

I know that Rotel has several models that include a 12v trigger. Any good ones that come to mind?
    I have no personal experience with the Rotel stuff, only feedback on their performance. The Adcoms, forget it. The Halo and Classe preamps are likely to be your best bets, that's why I specifically mentioned them. I am in the market for a moderate price outboard phono preamp myself. At the top of my list is the Monolithic Sound PS2 at $599.00. Other choices are the Channel Islands VPP1 ($299), Pro-Ject Phono Box SE ($299) and Pro-Ject Tube Box ($549).

Forum Regular
    Anthem AVM-30 is the best sounding pre/amp processor i've heard in the category you're looking in. It has more features and upgrade capabilities than any other in the category. And the great thing about Anthem - they ACTUALLY WRITE SOFTWARE TO UPGRADE THE PRODUCT, unlike so many "upgradeable"pieces. So often the unit has the capability, but never gets software.

I've owned several AVM processors since 1999, and feel their is no better bang for the buck....BAR NONE!

Hope this helps.

What I need is a preamp with a 12v trigger so that I can control the amp with the pre on/off.
    I have successfully done the following.
    Many preamps have a switched AC power outlet on the back. Plug a 12V DC wall transformer into it. Use a short extension cord if the wall transforner is too bulky to plug into the preamp. You can use a low amp transforner (250mV). Be sure it has a plug that fits the trigger socket. At least one place I know www.jameco.com lrts you order any type plug you want and will solder it on for you if that's not something you can do yourself.

So when the preamp is switched on, power goes to the transformer and and 12v DC comes out of the transformer. Plug that into the trigger.

CAUTION: reap the amps user manual to be sure it's DC that's called for and if so whether +/- ploarity matters.

If all goes well total cost is about $10. If you have any doubt about compatability, talk to the amp's service dept and see if they have any problems with the idea.
    http://www.drachen-audio.com

nightflier

Great idea but...

Sam,

My preamp (an Arcam) doesn't have switched outlets. It was a great idea, though...

Now, is there a way to trigger that 12v wallwart with something else?

I read on a discussion board some time back that you could rig just about anything with a remote much the same way that you would a ceiling fan.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Sam,

My preamp (an Arcam) doesn't have switched outlets. It was a great idea, though...

Now, is there a way to trigger that 12v wallwart with something else?

I read on a discussion board some time back that you could rig just about anything with a remote much the same way that you would a ceiling fan.
    There is an autoswitch available for $20 in the electrical tools department at Sears that may suit your purpose. When a tool plugged into the main outlet is switched on, any items plugged into the accessory outlets are also switched on. You can plug your preamp into the main outlet and either you amp or a wall wart into one of the accessory outlets.

Craftsman autoswitch: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00924031000

Thread Information