Forum Regular

Chord SPM 600 VS Plinius SA102 VS Bryston 4BST with Dynaudio Contour S3.4

I am looking at a power amp for my dynaudio contour S3.4. My room size is 4 meters by 6 meters (distance between speakers and me 4 meters).
    I am at a loss to figure out which 2 channel power amp to choose for my system. Which amp would be the best match for my Dyn S3.4.
    I will also be looking at looking at either a Denon AVR 2807 or an Arcam AVR300 for my pre/pro (replacing denon AVR 3600).
    I will use my existing power amp denon POAT3 to drive my center and rears.
    My listening involves 65 % music and 35 % home theater.

Any advice would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

What is your budget??? Looks like you have some sweet choices...my choice would be the Plinius all the way, but i'm not familiar enough with the other two choices.

Forum Regular
    Hi peruvianskies thanks for replying. I noticed most people recommend plinius with Dyn contours. They are all between $7-8k AUD. Chord amps are british made and the royal opera house in london uses them. see link http://www.movement-audio.co.uk/webs...ord-spm600.htm. bryston like plinius are solid and beefier amps but canadian made. qute popular in North america. BTW from your pics, you got some awsome pieces of equipment yourself.

Thanks htlover....it's a work in progress....my next step is actually to get a 2 channel power amp myself OR get two monoblocks. I have been set on getting a Classe amp ever since I heard them in combination with my current speakers. Now I just need to save up the funds. I think there was at least one or maybe two people on AudioReview that use the Plinius. I know alot use Bryston as you mentioned it's popular in North America. Same with Krell.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I think that's one of those no-lose decisions, which is why it's so hard for you.

That's a pretty big room.

Dynaudios are notoriously hard to drive. I just did a quick glance at the specs of those three amps, and they all seem to be capable, but the Plinius seems to specify 4 ohm loads as an afterthought, so I'd rule that one out first. I'd go with the Chord or the Bryston. I've heard good things about Bryston, and its specs make it seem beefier, as you say, but I've also heard tremendous things about Chord.

The nice thing about "tuning" your system for music is that it ends up working quite nicely for movies.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    Thanks for your vote of confidence Peter. I am auditioning the chord spm 600 atm. They are amzingly detailed, open and transparent, however they dont seem as warm or have the weight that maybe a bryston may have. I am blown away with the amout of detail you get from this amp. They made my current power amp denon POAT3 sound very, very ordinary. I guess If you go for warmth you might have to forego detail. Mind you having said that I have a feeling my denons might also have a lot to do with the brightness of the spm600 as well. May be a warmer pre amp (if there is such thing) may make the chord spm 600 sound a lot warmer.
    Home theater on the SPM600 was mind blowing. The detail you get makes the experience even more real.
    Last edited by htlover; 10-24-2006 at 08:57 AM.

Forum Regular
    Ok guys. it works out that my source (denon dvd 2800) was the main culprit behind why the chord spm 600 was sounding so treble high. I took the amp back to the dealer and tried it with primare dvd 26 player and the result was amazing. The sound coming out of the spm was not only unbelieveably detailed but also warm at the same time. I was mesmarised. Have to give plinius a go before I make a final decision.I would be more than happy with the SPM 600 and Primare DVD 30.
    So the lesson I learned was that apart from your speakers, the most importand component in your hi fi system is the power amp foliowed by the CD/dvd player.

Say if i had $15750, I would spend it as follows
    1) Power amp ($5000)
    2) speakers ($5500)
    2) dvd or cd player ($2500)
    3) pre amp ($2000)
    4) cables ($750+)
    Last edited by htlover; 10-25-2006 at 02:15 AM.

Forum Regular
    Hi guys I finally ended up with chord SPM 600. Tested the Chord SPM 600 against the plinius and for me, it was a clear winner. Plinius just could not match the Chord in terms of musicality, clarity ,depth and dimension. The instruments and vocals were 3 dimensional and engulfing.
    Not saying that there was anything wrong with the plinius but the chord sounded just that much better. It was almost 40% cheaper (demo model) than the plinius. I am very happy with my decision. My earlier concern was quickly dispelled when I heard the chord SPM 600 with the right source and pre amp. With Primare DVD 26 and Parasound pre amp it sounds so much better than my current denon equipment. I will be upgrading those anyway.
    Last edited by htlover; 10-27-2006 at 06:13 AM.

Glad things worked out!
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    Thank you Peter so am I. As you so rightly put, it would have been a no loose decision if I went for any of those.

But you still listened to them all yourself and still found one that was superior to your ears. Should be a lesson for all of us.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thread Information