Thread: cd vs. amp?

Forum Regular

cd vs. amp?

If someone has a old thread for this, just let me know. I have paradigm studio 20's run with a yamaha rx v496 surround receiver and a jvc dvd player as a source. Which is more pressing to be replaced for getting the best sound from the speakers? Thanks for all help.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyhat
    If someone has a old thread for this, just let me know. I have paradigm studio 20's run with a yamaha rx v496 surround receiver and a jvc dvd player as a source. Which is more pressing to be replaced for getting the best sound from the speakers? Thanks for all help.
    Might depend on your budget and listening habbits. At moderate/average volumes (below 85 dB, if you're using the analog cables from your DVD player to your receiver, I'd say a better CD player would benefit you more than amplification. Start adjusting those variables and it becomes less clear.
    The studio 20's are reasonably efficient and don't need much power to play loud, so more power isn't necessarily better. A better pre-amp stage might be called for, but not to work with the DVD player, I don't think.
    My limited experience using inexpensive DVD players as CD players suggests a dedicated cd player might be the best thing for you here, but I haven't heard your setup so I can't say for sure.

I'm curious as to what others will think.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the tip. Should I stay away from used cd players since with moving parts I am assuming they don't live as long as an amp or a speaker? Thanks.

Have you tried running an optical cable to the Yammie and using the JVC merely as a transport? DAC's make a big difference in sound quality, and this would be a pretty easy way to find out if the JVC is indeed the culprit.

Hope this helps.

Thread Information