• 11-24-2011, 04:00 PM
    HeavyD
    Car audio please help, need someone educated
    If I buy kickers ZX1500.1 1500 watt amp that is rated for 4 and 2 ohms and run it to 1 of there kicker S15 solo-baric L7 D2' subs can i run it @ 4 ohms til i get the other sub which will be very shortly after? Or do i just run it at 2 ohms and not push it all the way til I get the other sub?

Thanks ahead of time.:thumbsup:
  • 11-24-2011, 04:57 PM
    HeavyD
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
    If I buy kickers ZX1500.1 1500 watt amp that is rated for 4 and 2 ohms and run it to 1 of there kicker S15 solo-baric L7 D2' subs can i run it @ 4 ohms til i get the other sub which will be very shortly after? Or do i just run it at 2 ohms and not push it all the way til I get the other sub?

Thanks ahead of time.:thumbsup:

*edit*
    Or will this sub be fine at 2 ohms with all that power? It seems they're under rated, I see a lot of people putting over wat there recomended for? I'm ordering the sub tomarrow. Then the amp, any input would be great.
  • 11-24-2011, 09:45 PM
    recoveryone
    Continuous power ratings are a staple of performance specifications for audio amplifiers and, sometimes, loudspeakers. Continuous power is sometimes incorrectly referred to as RMS power and is derived from Root mean square (RMS), a method for measuring AC voltage or current.
    In its 1974 Amplifier Rule meant to combat the unrealistic power claims made by many hi-fi amplifier manufacturers, the FTC prescribed continuous power measurements performed with sine wave signals on advertising and specification citations for amplifiers sold in the US. Typically, an amplifier's power specifications are calculated by measuring its RMS output voltage, with a continuous sine wave signal, at the onset of clipping—defined arbitrarily as a stated percentage of total harmonic distortion (THD)—into specified load resistances. Typical loads used are 8 and 4 ohms per channel; many amplifiers used in professional audio are also specified at 2 ohms.
    Continuous power measurements do not actually describe the highly varied signals found in audio equipment but are widely regarded as a reasonable way of describing an amplifier's maximum output capability. Most amplifiers are capable of higher power if driven further into clipping, with corresponding increases in harmonic distortion, so the continuous power output rating cited for an amplifier should be understood to be the maximum power (at or below a particular acceptable amount of harmonic distortion) in the frequency band of interest. For audio equipment, this is nearly always the nominal frequency range of human hearing, 20Hz to 20 kHz. Other electronic equipment is intended to handle other frequency bands.
    In loudspeakers, thermal capacities of the voice coils and magnet structures largely determine continuous power handling ratings. However, at the lower end of a loudspeaker's usable frequency range, its power handling might necessarily be derated because of mechanical excursion limits. For example, a subwoofer rated at 100 watts may be able to handle 100 watts of power at 80 hertz, but at 25 hertz it might not be able to handle nearly as much power since such frequencies would, for some drivers in some enclosures, force the driver beyond its mechanical limits much before reaching 100 watts from the amplifier. The continuous ("RMS") value is also referred to as the nominal value, there being a regulatory requirement to use it.
    [edit] Peak power

Peak power is the maximum level of work or energy output that is measured during an observation period. See also: Power-Physics Exercise physiologists measure peak power in their evaluation of human energy-generating capacities. Peak power also refers to the time of day when there is the most demand for electricity, requiring more power from the electrical grid. Some plans for creating a more energy-efficient infrastructure call for power plants which are only online during peak times. Peak power here refers to the maximum amount of power an electronic component can possibly handle for an instant without damage. Because of the highly dynamic nature of many audio signals (eg, music, which accounts for an alternative name, music power) there is some sense in attempting to characterize the ability of equipment to handle quickly changing power levels. But, how small an instant is a matter of some variation from observer to observer and so a peak power rating is necessarily more than a little indeterminate.
    It always produces a higher value than the continuous ("RMS") figure, however, and so has been tempting to use in advertising. Generally, whatever the definition of instant used, distortion is also higher for an instant. For instance, an amplifier (especially a surround sound receiver), may be rated at 1,000 watts peak power, but the harmonic distortion level might be 10 percent under those conditions. Peak power is also referred to as max power or PMPO (Peak Music Power Output).<SUP id=cite_ref-1 class=reference>[2]</SUP>
    Peak power is a common way to rate the power handling electronics, especially loudspeakers and amplifiers. It is a very impractical and exaggerated rating used by manufacturers to make their products seem much more powerful than they actually are. Peak power refers to the maximum amount of power something can handle before damage. In speakers, the peak power rating (also referred to as "max power" or Peak Music Power Output (PMPO), is often five or six times greater than the continuous ("RMS") rating.<SUP style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" class=Template-Fact>[citation needed]</SUP>
    Ambiguity: Among amplifiers, the peak power rating is fairly ambiguous as it varies depending on "acceptable" maximum harmonic distortion.<SUP style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" class=Template-Fact>[citation needed]</SUP> For example, the peak power output rating of surround sound receivers is often taken at 10 percent THD.<SUP style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" class=Template-Fact>[citation needed]</SUP> The highest generally acceptable level of total harmonic distortion is considered to be 0.1%. Hence, two max power output ratings are sometimes provided, one at 0.1% THD, and another at 10% THD.<SUP style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" class=Template-Fact>[citation needed]</SUP>
    [edit] Total system power

Total system power is a term often used in audio electronics to rate the power of an audio system. Total system power refers to the total power consumption of the unit, rather than the power handling of the speakers or the power output of the amplifier. This can be viewed as a somewhat deceptive marketing ploy, as the total power consumption of the unit will of course be greater than any of its other power ratings, except for, perhaps, the peak power of the amplifier, which is essentially an exaggerated value anyway. Shelf stereos and surround sound receivers are often rated using total system power.
    One way to use total system power to get a more accurate estimate of power is to consider the amplifier class which would give an educated guess of the power output by considering the efficiency of the class. For example, class AB amplifiers are around 25 or 50% efficiency while Class D amps are much higher; around 80% or more efficiency. A very exceptional efficiency for a specific Class D amp, the ROHM BD5421efs, operates at 90% efficiency.<SUP id=cite_ref-2 class=reference>[3]</SUP>
    In some cases, an audio device may be measured by the total system power of all its loudspeakers by adding all their peak power ratings. Many home theater in a box systems are rated this way. Often low-end home theater systems' power ratings are taken at a high level of harmonic distortion as well; as high as 10%, which would be noticeable.<SUP id=cite_ref-3 class=reference>[4]</SUP>
    <SUP></SUP>
    <SUP>with all that said, I use a simple rule with car amps. unless the speckers match the ohm rating of the amp then your power output is about half for each level of difference. 1500 watt @ 1ohm= 750watt @ 4 ohm 375 watt @ 8 ohms</SUP>
  • 11-25-2011, 03:09 PM
    HeavyD
    Alright cool and thanx. Well they are both rated for 2 ohms so I should be good. The sub being dual 2 ohm voice coils at 1000 rms and the amp being 1500 rms @ 2 ohms so I just might have to keep the power down on the amp a little til I add the other 15.

I just purchased it last nite, I'm excited (; feel like a kid on Christmas.