nightflier

Can using just one channel damage a stereo amp?

I was doing some network cable pulling yesterday at one of our remote locations at work and they had a older (mid 90's?) Kenwood receiver and a pair a speakers on shelves in a large room but there was only sound coming out of the right speaker. When I asked about that, they said that the left speakers had fallen off the shelf a few years ago and never worked after that. The manager told me that they just turn up the volume when they want more sound.

Well I climbed up there, and it was just the speaker wire that had been pulled out of the posts on the back of the receiver. I reconnected it, and everybody was happy.

However, did this receiver suffer any damage from only using one channel at high volumes for "a few years" ?

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    However, did this receiver suffer any damage from only using one channel at high volumes for "a few years" ?
    Most likely not. Tube amps, however, don't like having a missing load.

rw

Wow i cant imagine anyone not even looking to see why the speaker didnt work for a few years...would drove me crazy after an hour or two of not knowing. Even it it was only the "work stereo"
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

Thread Information