Forum Regular

Can an 8-ohm amp drive a 4-ohm speaker?

The specs of my NAD C340 Integrated says it can give 50 watts continuous into 8 ohms.

I plan on upgrading my speakers to a pair of Dynaudios which have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms.

I will eventually upgrade my amp, but for the meanwhile, will it be able to drive these speakers in a fairly small room? Will I run the risk of frying my amp? Thanks.

Read your specs more carefully. It has ratings for 4 ohms as well as 8 ohms. It can easily drive a pair of 4 ohm speakers... indefinitely.

Forum Regular

markw

Thanks for the reply,

The specs I got from the internet only specified the 50 watts into 8 ohms. Only until I began reading on another site about the NAD's use of its ISC technology did I discover that it could drive 50 watts into 4 ohms as well.

Another question, will my amp get hotter as a result? It is currently in an unfavorable location on my equipment rack. Thanks.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prefuse
    The specs of my NAD C340 Integrated says it can give 50 watts continuous into 8 ohms.

I plan on upgrading my speakers to a pair of Dynaudios which have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms.

I will eventually upgrade my amp, but for the meanwhile, will it be able to drive these speakers in a fairly small room? Will I run the risk of frying my amp? Thanks.
    Absolutely, you'll be able to drive them. NAD amps are very good for having a lot of headroom, and I'm sure they put protection circuts in them so I wouldn't worry too much. The problem arises when you try to play them loud, and you drain you amps current dry.

Your going to want a new amp eventually. The danes can take a lot of current. I auditioned a pair once (the big Contours) that was hooked up to a 500 wpc amp, and they sounded quite remarkable. I liked them better than the B&W speakers that were priced in the same range.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Kursun
    Quote Originally Posted by Prefuse
    Thanks for the reply,

The specs I got from the internet only specified the 50 watts into 8 ohms. Only until I began reading on another site about the NAD's use of its ISC technology did I discover that it could drive 50 watts into 4 ohms as well.

Another question, will my amp get hotter as a result? It is currently in an unfavorable location on my equipment rack. Thanks.
    It will surely run hotter. For producing the same amount of power (W) into 4 ohms instead of 8 ohms, the amplifier will be required to handle about %40 more current (amperes). You have to try and see if the temperature rises to uncomfortable levels when driving 4 ohm loads.

BTW your NAD should produce somewhat more Watts into 4 ohms. In fact amplifiers with perfect power supplies (and output stages) double their power with each halving of load impedance.

Thread Information