• 07-24-2005, 03:28 AM
    Kaboom
    Cambridge audio azur 540a vs 640a
    So as many of you probably know i managed to score a great deal on the 540a a few days ago, including a 15 day try at home period.
    Now i am completely satisfied with the performance of this amp, but i could return it and get the 640a from the same place for only 30€ more.
    Now my question is, is there a difference in sound quality in the two to justify the trip and teh extra money?
    aside from the power rating, are there any other diffs between these two?
    Cheers
  • 08-01-2005, 05:30 AM
    soundman007
    Read and Listen
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaboom
    So as many of you probably know i managed to score a great deal on the 540a a few days ago, including a 15 day try at home period.
    Now i am completely satisfied with the performance of this amp, but i could return it and get the 640a from the same place for only 30? more.
    Now my question is, is there a difference in sound quality in the two to justify the trip and teh extra money?
    aside from the power rating, are there any other diffs between these two?
    Cheers

I suggest reading the design info at mfg website for comparison and listen to both. Anyone can tell you anything but it's your ears that need to make the decision.
  • 09-03-2005, 03:31 PM
    hermann_giron
    Do you need the power?
    For an extra 30 bucks i would go for it... unless the drive is a pain.

the extra watts may let you make your system play a little louder (the wattage difference is not that important), but most important, they should actually help with the quality of your sound.

When music has wide dynamic ranges, where quiet sounds change to loud sounds, like some Jazz, classical or concert pieces, the extra watts help.

Also, a higher watt amplifier should reduce risk of damage to speakers when playing your music at louder levels.

if you never play your music loud, go for it anyway.... its only 30bucks. : ;)