AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Thoughts on voltage converters

I own a multichannel amp 5*200w made by a internet only company. I need to move to Europe in a few months for some time and I was thinking about taking the amp with me and use a voltage converter. The max input into the amp is 1800W, so I thought that by getting good quality 2-3000w converter I would be fine. I talked to the company that made these amps just to be sure and they told me that the amp would not sound as good if it was used with a voltage converter, mostly because of the difference in hz (50 vs 60hz). The customer service agent said that I should buy another model (monoblocks) that they sell which accepts both 110v and 220v.
    What are your thoughts on this matter? Will the converter affect the sound or is the company just trying to sell more amps?

It's just a hobby
    There are quality of converters vary and you need to ensure that you buy one that KVA rating suitable to amps wattage rating, if you buy a good quality converter preferably one with surge protection and RFI filtering you will be fine. However looking at the specs you have mentioned, a good quality 3KVA converter will cost a bit of money.

See if you can find a local audio service tech to look at it. Sometimes a reversable internal mod will do the trick. I'm guessing the unit must use a switch mode supply as 50hz vs 60hz should not be an issue for a simple transformer + filter cap supply.

Thread Information