Buying a used power amp?

I'm looking at adding a power amp to my home theater but to buy a decent new power amp is a little pricy. I have a used sub to trade in so that will cut some of the cost but I don't have a ton to spend. As well where I live Winnipeg, Manitoba there are not alot of places that sell used equipment. The 2 amps I'm considering are the B&K ST-140 and the Audio Research D100. The B&K is $580(CDN) and would be $330 with the trade in and the Audio Research is $500(CDN) and would be $200 with the trade. Can anyone offer me an opinion on these 2 models? Also, I could save up $400 or so dollars and buy something new for around $700(CDN), any suggestions would help. Thanks.

Forum Regular
    Dude, I live in winnipeg as well. Check out Creative Audio, they have some good trade in prices. Their website is Creativeaudio.ca 452-5921. They are on Osbourne right at confusion corner.

They also have some pretty good used stuff right now, but they will update their list shortly.

I've bought all my gear from them and they have been very good to me.

I would look at somthing from Anthem or NAD. It all depends on your speakers, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrenmc
    I'm looking at adding a power amp to my home theater but to buy a decent new power amp is a little pricy. I have a used sub to trade in so that will cut some of the cost but I don't have a ton to spend. As well where I live Winnipeg, Manitoba there are not alot of places that sell used equipment. The 2 amps I'm considering are the B&K ST-140 and the Audio Research D100. The B&K is $580(CDN) and would be $330 with the trade in and the Audio Research is $500(CDN) and would be $200 with the trade. Can anyone offer me an opinion on these 2 models? Also, I could save up $400 or so dollars and buy something new for around $700(CDN), any suggestions would help. Thanks.
    I ran a ST140 for pretty much 15 years straight and the only thing that went bad was the power switch light burned out. That's it. It's a terrific amp and absolutely dead reliable. Very deep, powerful bass and smooth thru the mids. The treble is a bit veiled tho and tends to roll off, not unlike older tubes. The sound is on the warmer side (I'd guess the ARC is the same considering their classic sound) and would mate well with brighter speakers. ARC is as reputable as they come so you really can't go wrong with either. Plug 'em in and see which one sounds best to you.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Waxxiemann
    Dude, I live in winnipeg as well. Check out Creative Audio, they have some good trade in prices. Their website is Creativeaudio.ca 452-5921. They are on Osbourne right at confusion corner.

They also have some pretty good used stuff right now, but they will update their list shortly.

I've bought all my gear from them and they have been very good to me.

I would look at somthing from Anthem or NAD. It all depends on your speakers, man.
    Waxxiemann,
    A fellow Winnipeger, who would have thunk it! I was just there actually last weekend to check out their stuff. They do have alot of gear and are very helpful. I had a used Jamo SW410 subwoofer to trade in but it sounded like they would probably only give me $250.00, so I went back to McCulloch Audio/Video(I've bought all my gear from them) and they gave me $400 for it. He had a used Acoustat Trans Nova Twin 200 power amp so I ended up taking that over the Audio Research D100. It was a little more expensive but twice the power. I can trade it back to him later and he's going to find me a used Bryston power amp which will be a big upgrade. My speakers are Angstrom Modular 8's(2 - subwoofers) & Angstrom Modular 4's & 2's (front & rears), and 6C centre channel in the same series. Here's the link if you'd like to check it out http://www.angstromloudspeakers.com/prod_modular1.html. P.S. Thanks for the advice!

Thread Information