Forum Regular

Question Question about:Rotel RCD1072,ROTEL RA-1062, JM-LABS 707S

Hello everyone,
    I have a question. I am starting from scratch to build a system. I have read a great deal of reviews about ROTEL, JM-LABS and B&W.
    Recently, I had a chance to listen to a system like the below:

ROTEL RCD-1072 (CD player)
    ROTEL RA-1062 (Integrated Amp 60Wpc)
    JM-LABS 707S (Bookshelf)
    Straight Wire Octave II Speaker cables
    Straight Wire Interconnects

I liked it a lot. I only like 2 channel stereo. I would like to get second opinions about the above configuration and what other configurations might be comparable. For exmaple, would NAD components of comparable prices be very similar to ROTEL? Or B&W 602 S3s, will they be very similar to JMLABS 707s?

Please, any input is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,

F1
    I don't know how much those speaker cable and interconnect cost, but if I were you I would get thick generic speaker cable and generic interconnect from Rat Shack or else, and get JM Lab Cobalt 806 instead. It has the same sound characteristics but with very noticeable refinement.

Forum Regular

Thanks F1

I know they are better but we are looking at $350 more for cobalt 806. You probably had a chance to compare them.
    I read good reviews about the staright cable here at audioreview. They sounded good when I listened to them today but I did not have a chance to compare them to any other brand because the dealer that I went to only carries the Straight wire.
    Thank you so much for the insight F1.

F1
    Quote Originally Posted by stereo_always
    I know they are better but we are looking at $350 more for cobalt 806. You probably had a chance to compare them.
    I read good reviews about the staright cable here at audioreview. They sounded good when I listened to them today but I did not have a chance to compare them to any other brand because the dealer that I went to only carries the Straight wire.
    Thank you so much for the insight F1.
    You are welcome. I have both 806 and 705. When I bought 806 I compared it with 706 side by side and I straight away noticed the improvement. When I compared 806 to Electra 906 I guess I need better ears to notice any significant improvement. To me the difference between 906 and 806 is much more subtle than the difference between 806 and 706. So value-wise 806 is the best to me.

I bet the good sound you heard in the store came from the speaker itself, not from the cable/interconnect. So if you consider saving by going generic cable/interconnect you don't need to top up as much (I assume StraightWire is not inexpensive). Anyway, good luck on your choice.

Thread Information