• 11-04-2004, 09:07 PM
    hermann_giron
    "Burn In" period for a NAD C320Bee
    Hi Guys.

My lesser quality but higher powered amp burned out and after a lot of internet reviewing I purchased the NAD C320Bee as a replacement (I didnt get a chance to audition the Amp before purchasing it.)

I just started trying out my new Integrated Amp tonight and have heard a sound quality that is totally different from what I had before. Basically, although the sound quality is much cleaner than with my previous amp, the high-mid and low-high frequencies sound blaring and the Mid-Low frequencies are sort of absent. (my listening has been in low to mid volume levels).

I read many reviews and conversed with some people that state that the C320Bee has a long "Break In" period and I am wondering if anyone else out there has had experience with the sound quality changing drastically with this model once it has been burned in.

Do you think the blaring mids and lack of lows can be part of the break in, or is it more probably related to the lower power rating of the amp (dropped from a 100 Watt rated amp to the Bee, rated at 50 Watts) and what my ears are accustomed to?

I have played with the bass and treble adjustments but dont think I should have to do this to get a balanced and well rounded sound from this quality of equipment. The amp has not been played for more than 3 hours, so I may change my opinion after some more listening, but would appreciate your comments.

Thanks, HG
  • 11-06-2004, 03:22 AM
    Mash
    Burning-in or breaking-in audio components ....
    Burning-in or breaking-in audio components is pure hogwash. Utter nonsense. What you are describing is an "apparent difference" relative to what you had before. Maybe what you hear from your system now is "wrong" or maybe it is "more accurate" than what you listened to before. There is really only one way for you to answer your question.......

Attend enough live recitals to learn what "real" music sounds like and then decide whether or not you have a problem. You may simply have a more accurate system than you had before, but you will not know this until you attend enough live recitals to learn what "real" music sounds like. [This is why we all use equavilent {interchangeable} tape measures for determining lengths, rather than everyone using their own totally different measurement units.]
  • 11-06-2004, 06:31 AM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hermann_giron
    Hi Guys.
    The amp has not been played for more than 3 hours, so I may change my opinion after some more listening, but would appreciate your comments.

When you listen to guys like Nelson Pass (designer of Threshold and Pass Labs products), then you will find scientific reasons for warmup.

I used the 320 for a while before trading for a NAD AV Receiver which is really what I needed. The 320 is tonally very cool and does benefit from some warmup. Mine sounded somewhat less bright driving Advents after being on for a couple of hours. Since the amp runs pretty cool, leave it on for a while and listen again. I wouldn't obsess over it.

<a href="http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2228&highlight=warm">Warmu p phenomena</a href>

rw
  • 11-06-2004, 04:14 PM
    Geoffcin
    Sometimes this happens
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hermann_giron
    Hi Guys.

My lesser quality but higher powered amp burned out and after a lot of internet reviewing I purchased the NAD C320Bee as a replacement (I didnt get a chance to audition the Amp before purchasing it.)

I just started trying out my new Integrated Amp tonight and have heard a sound quality that is totally different from what I had before. Basically, although the sound quality is much cleaner than with my previous amp, the high-mid and low-high frequencies sound blaring and the Mid-Low frequencies are sort of absent. (my listening has been in low to mid volume levels).

I read many reviews and conversed with some people that state that the C320Bee has a long "Break In" period and I am wondering if anyone else out there has had experience with the sound quality changing drastically with this model once it has been burned in.

Do you think the blaring mids and lack of lows can be part of the break in, or is it more probably related to the lower power rating of the amp (dropped from a 100 Watt rated amp to the Bee, rated at 50 Watts) and what my ears are accustomed to?

I have played with the bass and treble adjustments but dont think I should have to do this to get a balanced and well rounded sound from this quality of equipment. The amp has not been played for more than 3 hours, so I may change my opinion after some more listening, but would appreciate your comments.

Thanks, HG

Yes, there will be changes as your amp settles, but not incredible ones.

The very best amps can drive ANY speaker with no problems. Moving down a notch, great to good amps, (what most of us have) can sound different with different speakers.

Most people think of amps as a separate entity, but when hooked up to speakers they are essentially a closed loop acting together. The impedance curve of speakers can vary wildly, and some speakers also have issues with capacitance. All this can add up to a whacky load for your amp to respond to, hence different sounding.

The BEE has got good buzz [pun] about it, and is regarded as a quality amp. Perhaps it's just not the one for your speakers though?