AR Newbie Registered Member

Build hi-power Amp

Hello,

I am new to this forum and hope I am in the right place.

I am in the process of upgrading my stereo to a modular system using an active crossover. The system will be 4-way. I will need 4 amps per channel. The frequency ranges will be:

20 – 80 Hz into an 18” subwoofer
    80 – 400 into a 15” woofer
    400 – 6000 into a large horn with phenolic diaphragm
    6000+ into a smaller high freq horn with alu diaphragm

I will use a larger ss amp for the subwoofers but want to use tubes for the rest.

I sometimes listen at high volumes, so want to have the option to get there without excess interference or clipping. My speakers are all vintage / refurbished Altecs, all with SPL’s around 100 or more. My listening room is about 20 X 30.

I have built many electronic items from scratch but have only done one tube item.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to find info to build an 80 or more watt per channel stereo amp on monoblock amp?

I would like to build the best ones I can. Cost shouldn't be an issue (but I have seen kits on some websites that seem a little pricey - do tubes and transformers for such amps really warrant kit costs of thousands of dollars – I really don’t know). I would like to build them from scratch but would do a kit if the markup was reasonable.

My biggest concern is that if given a schematic with values only (ie 10uF, 100 Volts), I will not know what style/grades components to buy.

I would be infinitely grateful if given leads to complete this project.
    Thanks in advance,

Jack

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    look in the "Forum Jump" drop-down box and click on "Tweaks, Mods, DIY". Several speaker/subwoofer and tube amp builders hang out there.

Thread Information