Thread: budget tube amp

budget tube amp

hi all, wondering if anybody has some good brands for a budget tube amp, budget meaning like $300-400 cnd if possible, not used please. i've heard of jolida, but how much are they and would they be right for me? i'm going to be running a set of paradigm atoms. it doesn't need more than like 25 or 50 wpc, cause i'm going to be listening in a close range...

TUBES!!!!!!!
    sry, i just had to get that outta me

an update:

no answers?

well, some more info. I'm going to be listening in a 10x11 bedroom. My budget is the same, also, I have family in the states, so I can probably order it online. in canada they charge 7% GST on all products entering the country...ya, it really sucks.

I also would like to know if it would be better to use a tube preamp and a separate amp. and can I connect a preamp to an integrated amp or a receiver...or would that be pointless...

Linear Guy

easy now.

Are you sure you will be able to appreciate the subtlities of a tube amp on small monitor type speakers? If the answer is yes, then proceed carefully. You will probably need to buy used brand name gear in order to stayin your price range. (AMC/Jolida/Antique Sound Labs). Please avoid unknown internet Pacific rim tube gear . Low price seldom translates into long term quality. Have you considered a DIY tube project?

yes, I have considered DIY, if I can find a kit in my price range I would be fine with building it!

Hi,
    I think you will struggle to find something decent within your budget. Even DIY requieres a little bit more. I wish it wasn't like that.

Take a look at www.world-designs.co.uk

These diy products are very highly regarded in the UK.

Good Luck

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

hmm....I was looking at the Jolida 301A, what are your opinions on that amp, is seems to be good. and for $350, i might be able to afford it, i've got lot's of money coming my way

acctually, i can probably boost my budget to like $450 or 500 CND

any opinions on that amp, or should I stay away, I've got a good quote on one, $390 shipped to canada

Forum Regular

Here's an option...

...[being the one I opted for].

Consider a good tubed preamp, and a pair of powered speakers.

My choice was a (used) Music Reference RM-5 with a custom outboard power supply. It uses the 6DJ8/6922 family of tubes, and the wonder of that is that you can upgrade to the 6H23 Supertube. I have not done it myself, but I have read on the web that they sound better than any, including the Telefunkens (!). They do require more plate current, so some preamps can not juice them.

The speakers are the Proton 300/301, or you could use a pair of 301's, or any good powered speaker. Beware! There are a lot of nasty powered speaks on the market. I use this setup in a bedroom of about the size you mention. Sounds great!

Laz

hmm....already got my speaks, and I think i've decided to go with a solid state receiver, lol

but nice idea, i'll keep that in mind if I ever want a second system!

Thread Information