Thread: Will this help

Forum Regular

Will this help

I just purchased a pair of Von Schweikert VR-1 monitors, and currently have them hooked up to my Marantz SR-7000 receiver. I am extremely happy with the new VR-1's and the sound I get out of them with the marantz, i'm just wondering if adding a dedicated amp will improve the sound at all.

I was thinking along the lines of the Rotel rb-1050, or possibly the 1070. What others in this range should i consider?

Since you ask ...

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    I just purchased a pair of Von Schweikert VR-1 monitors, and currently have them hooked up to my Marantz SR-7000 receiver. I am extremely happy with the new VR-1's and the sound I get out of them with the marantz, i'm just wondering if adding a dedicated amp will improve the sound at all.

I was thinking along the lines of the Rotel rb-1050, or possibly the 1070. What others in this range should i consider?
    I doubt that the Rotel 1070 would make enough difference to be worth the outlay. There are some amps that probably would but they will cost a little more. Here are a couple ...

Forum Regular
    those are just a little out of my price range, but i do appreciate the recommendations.

of something like the rotel wont add much to the sound, would i be better off using that money on a better cd player or universal player?

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I doubt that the Rotel 1070 would make enough difference to be worth the outlay. There are some amps that probably would but they will cost a little more. Here are a couple ...

Here's the thing, the VR1's are easy to drive. IIRC, their minimum impedence is only 6 ohms, so unless you make a dramatic change in amplification, the differences will be minimal. IOW, moving from one SS amp to another SS amp won't be that dramatic.

VSA voice their speakers with tube and switching amps, so you might consider that route. Perhaps a nice Jolida, ASL, Cayin, or Prima Luna would do the trick. A used PS Audio HCA2 can be had for around $600-700 on audiogon. I've driven my VR1's with the HCA2 and it sounded wonderful, then again they sound great with a vintage Marantz 2230 as well . One thing about tube and switching amps, they are lot easier to get wrong than get right so make every effort to audition before buying, especially a brand you're unfamiliar with.

Hope this helps.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the info Speed

Like I said in my original post, I am extremely happy with the sound now, I just thought i could possibly get a little better sound by adding a dedicated amp. But hey, if i can save myself the money, i'm all for that!!

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Here's the thing, the VR1's are easy to drive. IIRC, their minimum impedence is only 6 ohms, so unless you make a dramatic change in amplification, the differences will be minimal. IOW, moving from one SS amp to another SS amp won't be that dramatic.

VSA voice their speakers with tube and switching amps, so you might consider that route. Perhaps a nice Jolida, ASL, Cayin, or Prima Luna would do the trick. A used PS Audio HCA2 can be had for around $600-700 on audiogon. I've driven my VR1's with the HCA2 and it sounded wonderful, then again they sound great with a vintage Marantz 2230 as well . One thing about tube and switching amps, they are lot easier to get wrong than get right so make every effort to audition before buying, especially a brand you're unfamiliar with.

Hope this helps.

If you're happy, save your $$

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    Thanks for the info Speed

Like I said in my original post, I am extremely happy with the sound now, I just thought i could possibly get a little better sound by adding a dedicated amp. But hey, if i can save myself the money, i'm all for that!!
    If you're happy with the sound, spend your money on music or videos.

Of course, there is always a better piece of equipment out there somewhere, but bide your time.

Forum Regular

I think I'll take your advice!!

or i'll put it toward a new TV...LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    If you're happy with the sound, spend your money on music or videos.

Of course, there is always a better piece of equipment out there somewhere, but bide your time.

Thread Information