AR Newbie Registered Member

Unhappy Which 1 ( Marantz SR14 MkII OR Denon 3803 )

HI
    I have an option of buying either Marantz SR14 MkII Ex OR Denon 3803 due to the price is same for both.

Pls help in suggesting which one to Go For.

Forum Regular

SR-14-Easy!

It has the best parts and sounds better. Also, this unit is built to last!

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey37
    It has the best parts
    Cite the differences. Better board? Better DAC's? Better powersupply?

and sounds better.
    Didn't know you had the same speakers, room, source, and taste in music as ilyas. That's a helluva coincidence.

Also, this unit is built to last!
    Considering that both Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company, chances are there are more similarities than differences at this point. However, your statement implies that Denon has a higher failure rate so you'd better state your source for this. I've enjoyed various Denon pieces since the '80's and have found them to be very durable. They also have a very good rep from many people on audio bb's.

Ilyas, the only answer to your question is whichever sounds better to YOU and has the features that YOU want. They are both very reputable companies and you should be happy with either. The 3803 has video upconversion which comes in handy which I don't think the SR14 has. The 3805 was just released so make sure you're getting a serious discount on that 3803 as well. This could make a compelling difference in price.

Good luck

Forum Regular

Excuse me topseed!

The Marantz does have video upconversion. I cannot debate the SR-14 against the 3803 and do this excellent piece of equipment(SR-14) such an injustice! The question was asked so I gave my opinion-take or leave it. Hey Topseed, I bet you picketed Augusta with Martha Burke last year. Also, I bet the 3803 is better than the 5803, right? Put your headphones back on buddy.

Forum Regular

What tastes better?

An ok tasting burger or a great tasting burger? Topseed I'm very interested to hear your opinion.

Dammit, now I'm hungry!

An ok tasting burger or a great tasting burger? Topseed I'm very interested to hear your opinion.
    Define the differences between "ok" and "great" tasting. What if someone is a vegan? To them, an "ok" might be a tofu burger, while a "great" one might be a vegetarian burger. Personally, I prefer the dead animal flesh kind but who knows? This is exactly my point. We don't know ANYTHING about the poster. What's his musical taste? What speakers is he using? Is it more important to run 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 or two channel? The Marantz is 3 times(!) as expensive from a list price point of view so why is it suddenly less than a kilobuck? B-stock? Opinions about sound quality are fine, they make the audio world go 'round. However, if you're going to make sweeping generalizations about quantifiable item like parts and reliability, all I'm asking for is proof.

FWIW, I own both Marantz and Denon products so I could really care less which one he buys. I have no bias, it's not my money and I'm not so bold to think that I have golden ears.

ps. I'd just as soon watch grass grow than watch golf...oh wait, it's the same thing. Play yes. Watch no. I'd also never spend that much money on a receiver when there are countless better options in separates. For the obscene amounts of money flagship receivers cost I guarantee I could assemble a pre/pro and multi-channel amp that would not only kill the receiver but be a far better synergistic match to whatever speakers they were driving. YMMV

Forum Regular

What?

I'm sure a vegan would prefer a great tasting tofu burger over an ok tasting one, but thats just my opinion. So you could set up a sep system that would kill any receiver? Would your setup be as convenient(one box) and financially pleasing as a receiver? I shall not call myself an audiophile because I will not be stereotyped. What I will say is that the SR-14 is the pimp and the 3803 is his cane. While the 3803 can accomplish what denon has intended, the SR-14 just smacks it with a backhand. By the way I am also familar with both lines. Your hungry? May I be so frank? Your sitting at home drinking a sam's cola and grinning from ear to ear because you paid bottom dollar pricing for 2 pounds of balogna!

You gotta problem with Sam Walton?

I'm sure a vegan would prefer a great tasting tofu burger over an ok tasting one, but thats just my opinion. So you could set up a sep system that would kill any receiver? Would your setup be as convenient(one box) and financially pleasing as a receiver?
    Look, you're missing my point entirely. The SR14 is a very good receiver. The 3803 is also a very good reciever. I've no doubt that to you, the SR14 is the best receiver money could buy or you wouldn't have spent your own hard cash, right? If you truly believe that the Marantz can compete with separates, I have no problem with that at all as it's your money and your ears so knock yourself out. For my tastes within my system, with a $4k budget I'd get maybe a Rotel 1075 mated with a Parasound Halo P3 and have $2,200 left over to buy tunes or a helluva nice rptv. Need more power or finesse? OK, how 'bout a used Conrad/Johnson MF5600 ($2K used on ebay) paired with a Lexicon MC1 ($1,799 on a'gon) and still have cash in my pocket? For some people, a receiver simply presents too many compromises. If you don't fall into this group, that's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey
    Your hungry? May I be so frank? Your sitting at home drinking a sam's cola and grinning from ear to ear because you paid bottom dollar pricing for 2 pounds of balogna!
    Let's not forget Sammy was the richest man in America (Bill Who?) before he took the trip to the big shopping mall in the sky. However, I have to admit your perception is uncanny. How'd you know I'm practically an expert at sniffing out baloney?

Forum Regular

I luv this site!

Topseed what r your feelings towards definitive technology ?

Topseed what r your feelings towards definitive technology ?
    Very good for HT apps. In fact, I have a DefTech sub in my main system and have been very happy w/ it for years. Their new SuperCube subs are one of the better ones out there because they are small (high WAF), fast (good for music), and can bring the rafters down. DefTech has always made kick a** subs.

For music, their towers aren't my cup of tea sound wise but I think they represent a good value. With their built in subs, the buyer can actually save some serious coin as they no longer need an extra sub (unless they are totally bass nutz). Dipoles also need space to breath so they present some positioning challenges as well and wouldn't be my first choice if space is limited. Their sound quality is more suitable for HT than music IMHO.

Smile Thanks Top Speed

Thanks for the ADVICE topspeed, i bought the Marantz Sr14Ex MARK II for USD 1100. and i picked up def tech cinema pro 100 they both go along very well.

They both R simply great!!!!

I heard denon 3803 but i still liked the 2 year model of marantz SR14.

Thanks to every one who had shared info & their views on this question.

Forum Regular

Where did you purchase the Sr-14 from?

Ilyas

Smile

I bought it from V V Electronics AbuDhabi - United Arab Emirates.....

Thread Information