Why no Altec information?

On a previous post I was advised to look into the used market to achieve my objective of a decent 2 channel setup consisting of separates. I chose to toy around before investing a lot of money in the stereo equipment. Since then I have purchased a preamp (Rotel RSP-960AX) and two amplifiers (Altec Lansing 1407a). I noticed a few posts in regards to Altec amplifiers but the replies are inconclusive (I realize any reply is relative). Because of this I was reluctant to make the purchase, but the $140 asking price was insignificant enough to constitute a trial. The amplifiers appear to be in excellent condition. I was able to find the specifications online (http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet...1415A-Data.pdf), and they seem to be competitive with other more popular brand (Rotel, Adcom etc.) specifications. I have read that these were originally intended for PA and theater systems, but I don't see any reason why I cannot use them for a stereo setup. I intend on using one amp per a channel. Does anyone have listening experience with these or any other Altec amplifiers? I am curious to know if I should expect a desirable result form these considering they were so inexpensive. I plan on buying some shelf speakers in the near future. Until than, I am eager to here any replies. Thanks.
    Last edited by Eventix; 01-01-2007 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventix
    On a previous post I was advised to look into the used market to achieve my objective of a decent 2 channel setup consisting of separates. I chose to toy around before investing a lot of money in the stereo equipment. Since then I have purchased a preamp (Rotel RSP-960AX) and two amplifiers (Altec Lansing 1407a). I noticed a few posts in regards to Altec amplifiers but the replies are inconclusive (I realize any reply is relative). Because of this I was reluctant to make the purchase, but the $140 asking price was insignificant enough to constitute a trial. The amplifiers appear to be in excellent condition. I was able to find the specifications online (http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet...1415A-Data.pdf), and they seem to be competitive with other more popular brand (Rotel, Adcom etc.) specifications. I have read that these were originally intended for PA and theater systems, but I don't see any reason why I cannot use them for a stereo setup. I intend on using one amp per a channel. Does anyone have listening experience with these or any other Altec amplifiers? I am curious to know if I should expect a desirable result form these considering they were so inexpensive. I plan on buying some shelf speakers in the near future. Until than, I am eager to here any replies. Thanks.

I have no experience with Altec Lansing outside of computer audio... so I can't comment on their amps.....

But my piece of advice is Be Very Cautious about buying brands based on Specs.... Frankly, specs mean almost nothing in the audio world.... A great Pre-amp and a piece of junk will likely have the same or similiar specs (at least according to their respective manufacturers)..... But only one of them will actually perform up to the specs....

Yes, I am very aware of this considering I was once a car audio enthusiast. The only reason I mentioned it is because the data sheet is all I know at this point. I thought someone maybe able to shed some light on the quality of Altec’s products based on the era of production (late 80's early 90's). There seems to be a lot of processors, amplifiers, and speakers drifting around, but no tangible reviews on the amplifiers. Maybe the people who do own Altec amplifiers are impartial to their performance. Until they comment, we will never know. Thank you for your reply. I didn’t think I would receive a response.

For those interested, I added a couple pihotos of the amplifiers to my gallery.
    Last edited by Eventix; 01-01-2007 at 05:24 PM.

Thread Information