New Toy: Audio Zone Pre-T1 Preamp

Audio Zone Pre-T1 Preamp.

New Toy: Audio Zone Pre-T1 Preamp-ar.jpg

This passive preamp is based on TX102 transformers.
    A brief comparison to the Sonic Euphoria PLC

1. High freq - Pre-T1 sparkles with less grain.

2. Mid freq - PLC has a bit more body, but Pre-T1 is more transparent with better balance.

3. Low freq - PLC has more emphasis on bass but a bit bloated at times.

4. Volume Control - PLC has finer volume settings, but the Pre-T1 has +6dB switch.

5. Connectibility - PLC has 4(inputs)/2(outputs) pairs with Tape Out. Pre-T1 is
    factory set to 3/1 or 2/2 option.
    My unit came with 2/2, but I have the Burson AB160, so that makes it 3/2.
    The Manley Skipjack or other switchers may be required for some. PLC came with 1 pair of WTB RCA for both In/Output. Pre-T1 is equipped with regular generic RCA connectors.
    The WTB connectors sound cool, but I think the cost difference should be allocated to other part of audio where it actually makes obvious difference. But the WBT connectors seem to make better physical connection to all interconnects.

6. Ground - Pre-T1 has Ground Float with a switch, PLC comes with a ground wire.
    Pre-T1's ground float works, while PLC didn't make a difference in MY environment, but was never an issue. Pre-T1's ground float is only noticable when turned all the way up so it should not be beneficial during normal playback.

7. Design Base - PLC is Autoformer wound and entirely wired with Cardas. Pre-T1 is S&B TX102 ver.1 transformers based.

8 Problem - I now have 3 preamps, and have to decide which one to sell...

Have Fun,
    JRA

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    He who dies with the most toys wins.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Oh and by the way it is purty.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    He who dies with the most toys wins.
    Tru.
    My friends always ask me why I keep all of my albums when I can only listen to 1 album at a time... But I think dakatabg will always win. That man is insane

Have Fun,
    JRA

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    .... But I think dakatabg will always win. That man is insane

Have Fun,
    JRA

You got that right...I sent dakatabg a PM asking to buy one of his vintage Marantz receivers and from his reply I think I insulted him or he thought I was insane. He kindly let me know he never does anything as such.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Thread Information