Forum Regular

Breaking in my A5 with the preout on my home theater?

Well, turns out I'm going to have to wait a month or so to get my paradigms. So for now, my Musical Fidelity A5 is living in my theater room and I'm switching the speakers back and forth between it and my surround amp.

Now, would it hurt or be detrimental in any way to hook up the preouts from the Denon (currently a 2803) to the A5 HT input (designed for home theater) and break in the amp in the meantime? It's not the highest quality sound....not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

-G
    Living Room: Musical Fidelity A5 - Sony SCD-555ES SACD - Player - Paradigm Studio 100v3s

Theater: Denon 4806 - JBL S412s and matching center - Polk FX3i surrounds - Sanyo Z4 HD projector

Forum Regular
    Would it hurt?

No.

Forum Regular
    just be aware you have two volume controls so keep the Denon's at a constant volume (say -00) and adjust only with the MF (on the low side)

Yes, good advice

Quote Originally Posted by IRAWB
    just be aware you have two volume controls so keep the Denon's at a constant volume (say -00) and adjust only with the MF (on the low side)
    Don't overdrive the A5 using a high gain (volume) setting on the Denon, otherwise you might cause some distortion in the A5. Ideally you would set the Denon volume setting to "unity gain", (say a 12 o'clock setting), and control the volume using the A5 as suggested.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Don't overdrive the A5 using a high gain (volume) setting on the Denon, otherwise you might cause some distortion in the A5. Ideally you would set the Denon volume setting to "unity gain", (say a 12 o'clock setting), and control the volume using the A5 as suggested.
    Actually, the A5 has an input called "HT" which is disconnected from the A5's volume control. So the only volume control that will be controlling the front speakers is the denon's.

So that A5 is designed to be plugged into the pre-outs on an A/V receiver. Still not a problem I assume?

-G
    Living Room: Musical Fidelity A5 - Sony SCD-555ES SACD - Player - Paradigm Studio 100v3s

Theater: Denon 4806 - JBL S412s and matching center - Polk FX3i surrounds - Sanyo Z4 HD projector

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Why not...

...use the Denon's "tape-out" jacks to feed the A5...they are live with any source, they are at line level and the Denon's volume and tone controls have no effect on their output...

Simply use an IC to feed that output to any source input (except phono of course, if so equpped) on the A5...the Denon will simply be a glorified source selector...no volume control redundancies, no chance for overdriving the MFs input stages...and you can give it (the A5) and it's various knobs and switches a good shake-down...

jimHJJ(...of course I assume we're talking about the A5 integrated amp...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

I have the A3.2 with the same home theater direct feature, basically just a pre-in. You'll be burning in your amplifier section but not your pre-amp section as it is being totally by-passed. I'm curious someday to try it with my Teac reciever for the front mains.
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyBC
    I have the A3.2 with the same home theater direct feature, basically just a pre-in. You'll be burning in your amplifier section but not your pre-amp section as it is being totally by-passed. I'm curious someday to try it with my Teac reciever for the front mains.
    ...in correct audio jargonese, that would be a "power-in" jack...it would be fed my a "pre-out"...

jimHJJ(...I don't think there is such a thing as a pre-in...that would be a source input or "line-in"...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Thread Information