NAD C352 vs Marantz PM-7001

Has anyone done a direct comparison betwen these two integrated amps?

The C352 has been getting rave reviews for a while now, and while there isn't much information out about the PM-7001 yet, what there is sounds very positive. I've always liked and admired both brand, and I'm not sure which would be the better alternative.

I love all kinds of music, though acoustic and vocals are my "make or break" points. I'll be using the amp in a 13' x 15' den for a second, two-channel system. I'm using Magnepan speakers, so whatever I choose has to have some grunt and be able to handle their 4 ohm load.

If you've listened to the two, especially if back to back or through the same speakers, can you tell me your perceptions of the two units? What did you like and dislike about each, now does their sound quality compare, and did you ultimately choose either of these amps for yourself?

Forum Regular
    Hi. Well, I'll take a stab at it.....If you have heard these amps and there is one that your gut is going with, go with it. If you are worried about the power, ask the salesperson (assuming that you have access to hear these amps) to hook the amps up to some speakers that are tough to drive, and that might give you an idea of how much power the amps can deliver. I would probably go with the NAD. They seem to have pretty conservative power ratings. I own the C720BEE receiver which is rated at 50 watts. It powers two sets of speakers that are rated at 86db @ 8 ohms and occassionally a pair of speakers rated at 86db @ 6 ohms. I have no problems as far as power goes. I think that the 80 watts of the C352 would probably power your Maggies fine. Maybe some planar folks will jump in here and offer their expertise. Good luck.

By the way, I might be wrong here, but I would be a little cautious about running a 4 ohm load off the Marantz. I think that NAD has a better reputation for driving more difficult loads.

Generally speaking NAD does do a better job with more difficult loads...but still beware.

Quote Originally Posted by The13thGryphon
    Has anyone done a direct comparison betwen these two integrated amps?

The C352 has been getting rave reviews for a while now, and while there isn't much information out about the PM-7001 yet, what there is sounds very positive. I've always liked and admired both brand, and I'm not sure which would be the better alternative.

I love all kinds of music, though acoustic and vocals are my "make or break" points. I'll be using the amp in a 13' x 15' den for a second, two-channel system. I'm using Magnepan speakers, so whatever I choose has to have some grunt and be able to handle their 4 ohm load.

If you've listened to the two, especially if back to back or through the same speakers, can you tell me your perceptions of the two units? What did you like and dislike about each, now does their sound quality compare, and did you ultimately choose either of these amps for yourself?
    Hi, Gryph. Which Magneplanars are you using? Doesn't matter though; if you can afford it, any Magnepan can do justice to a better amp than a NAD or lower line Marantz.

I upgraded from a NAD C270 to my current Bel Canto eVo2i integrate: I can assure you that the improvement was very audible and "huge" as that term is used in audiophile circles. The current Bel Canto integrates are ICEpower based, (rather than Tripath), but have had some excellant reviews. See their integrated offerings -- more money but argueably better value than NAD or Marantz -- much better sound and a lot more power which doesn't hurt with Magneplanars ... I'd go for the USB model myself, given I listen mostly from my computer.

Thanks for your feedback...

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Hi, Gryph. Which Magneplanars are you using? Doesn't matter though; if you can afford it, any Magnepan can do justice to a better amp than a NAD or lower line Marantz.

I upgraded from a NAD C270 to my current Bel Canto eVo2i integrate: I can assure you that the improvement was very audible and "huge" as that term is used in audiophile circles. The current Bel Canto integrates are ICEpower based, (rather than Tripath), but have had some excellant reviews. See their integrated offerings -- more money but argueably better value than NAD or Marantz -- much better sound and a lot more power which doesn't hurt with Magneplanars ... I'd go for the USB model myself, given I listen mostly from my computer.
    Thanks for the idea Feanor, I like the look of the Bel Canto integrateds, and they are getting good reviews... I'm just not able to afford them for a second system right now. Maybe somewhere down the line, but for the moment I need to stay within the $600 to $800 range.

Quote Originally Posted by superpanavision70mm
    Generally speaking NAD does do a better job with more difficult loads...but still beware..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark111867
    Hi. Well, I'll take a stab at it.....If you have heard these amps and there is one that your gut is going with, go with it. If you are worried about the power, ask the salesperson (assuming that you have access to hear these amps) to hook the amps up to some speakers that are tough to drive, and that might give you an idea of how much power the amps can deliver. I would probably go with the NAD. They seem to have pretty conservative power ratings. I own the C720BEE receiver which is rated at 50 watts. It powers two sets of speakers that are rated at 86db @ 8 ohms and occassionally a pair of speakers rated at 86db @ 6 ohms. I have no problems as far as power goes. I think that the 80 watts of the C352 would probably power your Maggies fine. Maybe some planar folks will jump in here and offer their expertise. Good luck.

By the way, I might be wrong here, but I would be a little cautious about running a 4 ohm load off the Marantz. I think that NAD has a better reputation for driving more difficult loads.
    To save space in my den I plan to use the MC1's, due to their wall mounting capability. I'll pair them with a couple of good small subs, such as the HSU STF-1's. Therefore, the integrated won't have to privide the juice to drive the bass, that will be handled by the sub's internal amps. The integrated will only have to handle frequencies above 80 Hz. Do you think that will make using the Marantz more practicle? Or will the overall 4 ohm impedance still be a problem?

Also, I know that NAD uses their "PowerDrive" circuit, which monitors the impedance of the speaker load and adjusts the power supply to "best cope with the specific load." That sounds like a plus to me, but I know people who poopoo anything that doesn't "double-down" into a 4 ohm load. What are your thoughts?

Thread Information