Thread: Idea's Anyone?

Question Idea's Anyone?

I need some help. I'm wanting to get a dedicated 2ch amp and use my preamp zone2 from my Adcom AV receiver for 2 ch music but still use the Adcom for HT use. The problem I have is that I want to use the Magnepans for both. To do this I would have to use a speaker selector switch backwards to switch between amp sections. I really dont want to use the selector because of signal loss and also because the amp I want is 375wpc and there are no selectors that can handle this kind of power. I would also run the risk of shorting out both amps.

My solution to this could be using the 7.1 preamp out on the Adcom into a 2ch preamp and amp. For HT use, I could run it in bypass to by pass the 2nd preamp and keep my sub and center channel connected to the Adcom. The Adcom would run the center and sub and the 2nd preamp would run the front channels. ( I only run front, center and a sub for HT use )

For 2ch listening, I would use the 2nd preamp and amp for just the front speaks. I dont use my sub for music.

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Larry
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    All I do is switch speaker leads at the speaker. It's not a big deal with bananas.

I couldn't understand if you were using a stereo preamp or using the Adcom for both stereo and HT. If using the Adcom for both, just use the preamp outs of the front mains to the new stereo amp. This amp would be used for both as the speakers would but it's the easiest way. If using a stereo preamp, refer back to original statement.

I haven't grasped what your hook up lay out is in your post, so I'm not sure it would work. Which "bypass" are you talking about? I don't think an A/V receiver would have the type of bypass you would need. Even if it did, you would still need some way to switch amps to speaker, I think.

If you got a stereo preamp with a "theater bypass", then you could go from the Adcom's main L/R preamp outs into that, using the stereo amp to power mains all the time again.

I talked to the local audiphile store and the guy is a guru. Basically I'm using my AdcomAV receiver for both streo and HT use. He said I could buy another preamp and amp. Run the ic's from the preamp out to another preamp and into a 2ch receiver. The speakers would be hooked up to the new pre amp except for the sub and center channel. I would have to get a preamp with pass through or by pass channel which they do make. For CD sound the analog outputs of the CD player would go to the new 2ch preamp and for HT use the DVDP would plug into the AV receiver. This way I would not need 2 pairs of speakers or a speaker selector switch.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Right, that's what I used to do with my Krell. My CJ has the bypass which was a feature I made sure my next preamp would have but the CJ's sound didn't mesh with my other HT amps, so I just separated everything.

Any ideas on what separates you might get?

Thanks, at least some one else thinks this can work. I'm looking at the B&K reference series 200.2 version 2 amp because its cheap,has XLR,warm sound, 375wpc, and 75amps which is perfect for my Magnepans 1.6's and it will allow me to upgrade to the 3.6's in the future. I know there are better amps but not for $1500. As far as a preamp, I dont know yet. It must have a pass thru and XLR. Any suggestions would be apprecieated.
    Thanks,
    Larry
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I know my Conrad Johnson PV14LS2 has the pass through, retail is $2,499.00 but you can find them used for well under $2k. I think this is an excellent preamp that performs far beyond it's price and you might really enjoy a tube preamp. On the other hand that with the B&K may not blend with your receiver's internal amp's sound. And, you may not want to burn a tube while watching HT. Most Krell preamps have the "Theater Through" feature. You may be able to find an older one on Audiogon affordable. These I'm sure of and I will look around, if I come up with anything I'll post it. You could really do the same thing with a tape monitor loop but I don't know if the higher signal when turning it up would effect anything. You are probably safer with a true unity gain "bypass".

Mr P., basically what I'm looking for is a preamp with a HT bypass feature.

When you said you split up your system, are you using the same speakers for both systems and if so, how did you do it?
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I understand what type of bypass you need and several CJ and Krell have them for sure. Krell call theirs "Theater Through" and I think CJ just calls theirs "Theater Bypass Loop" It just allows your stereo set up to be a slave to the HT system while watching movies.

Now I use the same speakers but I switch the speaker cables at the speaker. It's quick with bananas.

It may come to that, switching cables.I've been doing some research and I might be able to do the same thing with a tape loop using the tape monitor as a HT bypass.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP