Forum Regular

pioneer vsx1014txk vs yamaha rxv650 buy which one?

I want to buy the yamaha rxv650...but I was just reading the pioneer vsx1014txk reviews, those seem like very happy people stunned at what the pioneer can do. So, which one should I get, or which one would you get and why. I can't go higher on price so if there's another unit better than these costwise I'd like to know about it. Thanks.
    Last edited by mr. budget; 03-19-2005 at 08:30 PM.

Forum Regular
    I'm going with the yamaha because I'v eheard far too much praise for their units, clean power, good mechanics...sold to yamaha for xxdollars. I'll let you know what this unit is like for me. thanks.

Forum Regular
    Well, I got the rxv 650 and I must say this thing is so darm versatialle. I'm really happy with this thing and ht is incredible. a while I've been waiting for this setup. Yamahaulauver, damn right I hauled it all over the busses, etc. I think the pioneer would be a good buy too of course this is the opinion of someone who's never had a system before
    Last edited by mr. budget; 03-22-2005 at 02:54 PM.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Not enough difference between the two,really about the same.
    Look & Listen

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Mr. Budget...take your time to read that f'n manual...Twice...tons of stuff in their, and the students Yamaha hires during the summers to write their manuals don't appear to be the brightest.

Give that YPAO auto/setup thingy a go....don't even breathe while it's hissing and bleeping and blooping. I wouldn't recommend running 9 speakers off that things power supply...and if you're running 7, use common sense and be careful...it's got plenty of power and will play loud, but it is a receiver...

Forum Regular
    That thing's kind of cool, you could also adjust it further manually. I'm trying to get started on fixing this system up, got regular 27" tv, regular other stuff, trying to make a dent in the instr mnl. What's a good level for movies and music for volume dbs and does it take power to run this thing if the speakers are unplugged like if I ran only a center in 6.1 would it still output as much power if the other speakers are unplugged? Also, thanks for the warning about power, any other major no no's that people usually hurt their units accidentally? I've thought I had in indestructable system before, over time I brainwashed myself and believed a lot of things n/a to my system. Like I'd read someone say you couldn't blow these speakers if you tried, he's talking about really really strong speakers, not mine, but I believed mine were too! and I'm lucky it didn't all blow up a few times. I would have got an amp but I realized I'm financially challenged and so a budget buy. Hey, I can always sell and buy if things change, I really don't like limits. It's a lot nicer here now that I have a proper unit. I've probably read it before but what is your system like kexodusc, it's tough sometimes for me to go back and find stuff i read previously.

I dunno, on my RX-V1400 (last year's RX-V1500), and I listen to anything from -40 dB to -20 dB, but I only use the receiver's amp for the center channel, I have the pre-outs feeding into 2 Adcom GFA-535II power amps and an AudioSource AmpOne power amp for some added juice...for average size rooms at good volumes, you your receiver is fine...my room is 21 X 24 or with high ceilings though, and sometimes we really crank the tunes/movies...so the extra power is nice. I had the amps lying around anyway so I put them to use...some mess of cables at the back of the rack though. Never tried the receiver by itself much. My brother's receiver is identical to yours, he usually runs in between -35 and -25 dB, and he doesn't play stuff very loud.

Rule of thumb, is for every speaker you plug in, count on the workload being harder on the receiver...with 7 channels driven, your Yamaha probably puts our a more realistic 30-35 watts per channel with 6 or 7 speakers going, but that's plenty. With 2 speakers you probably get 80-90 watts or whatever the rating on in the brochure says. Most speakers today will play very loud, 89 watts at a distance of 1 meter away with only 1 watt of power...if your mom and dad are visiting, you can bet you aren't even using 1/2 a watt...point is, sometimes power is over-rated...sometimes. Trick is not to push the receiver too, too hard...never turn your receiver up past -15 dB. Too much volume and not enough power can lead to clipping...distortion...bad stuff...blown amp, damaged speakers, and you're back to a boombox before you know it.

My system has grown over the years since I first got into this stuff in high school. I started with some old stereo gear, went to a Sony receiver, than Marantz receivers for a few years, then a Yamaha RX-V795a last year to hold me over until I bough the RX-V1400. I have 2 systems, my Home Theater (HT) and my 2-channel stereo system in my little studio for serious listening. Just bought a 51" Toshiba HDTV, loving it so far, and Rogers is coming tomorrow with the PVR HDTV terminal...we'll see how goes...this winter I replaced my Paradigm Studio 20's and 40's with the EFE ar.com DIY speaker kits...took forever for me to build since I was always on the road, but when they were done it was all worth it...much better sound at a lower price (though my woodworking skills could be improved), I'd recommend them if you want $1200 speakers for $400 without the brand name. Still have the Studio 40's...don't know what to do with them, but I won't sell them.
    Next project is a 15" sealed subwoofer...got the cabinet cut, but not assembled, waiting for some back ordered parts. Should be fun when it's done.

Forum Regular
    I just realized it's got pre-outs, didn't think it did. Can't shut the optimizer off yet, it took a minor bump (amp), but I just throw the old stuff around like it's junk and it never breaks, and this one gets tapped and I'm upset, that's irrational. Now I need to figure out all kinds of things and get new cables and I felt like I just signed up for a job or something. Actually, I needed a new hobby and I'd like read about the speakers and amps especially when I was knitpicking about minor stuff (taps, bumps), they put similar units in cars and the shipping is like real bumps, but maybe I should be a bit more careful. Now I'm more enthusiastic about this wheras before I didn't know what I was missing and I didn't realize how much better this system could be. Thanks for your help. I've been wanting to look around the forums now that things are better, it's like a good hobby now.

Yeah, bumps are never good...might want to cut down on those.
    Personally, my only beef with the YPAO setup is the way it sometimes sets your speakers to "large" or "small", and the way it reads the subwoofer. I'd recommend changing your speakers to small and setting the bass to "subwoofer" only if you have one, otherwise set them to large...you might have to change the receiver's subwoofer level too, on most I've seen, it gets cut back too much because of room peaks, rather than average signal...

Forum Regular
    I learned a lot from the manual, no sub yet, it'll be a while till I can upgrade, I heard about that problem it's like best to crsovr at 60 or 80 or 200 hz? Do you remember which one was best? The cerwin vegas woke up now I never realized what a difference the rcvr could make, I should have never played them with a crap reciever I think it was damaging them too. Do you know how much of a beating and distortion cerwin vegas can take before they give? Actually the woofers don't usually give it's the mids and tweeters, I think, so I don't think I should be concerned, just feel like I kind of was running garbage through them, but it's not as bad as I think. Sometimes I know I didn't damage the rcv or spk but my mind keeps nagging me and trying to worry me saying I damaged them when I know that it was impossible that they were damaged. Plus I think first equipment usually takes a beating that's how to learn sometimes. Do you know how to hook this up to a computer, I think there's a couple ways I could do it, can't remember how to right now. Also can you safely stack a center channel on top of a dvd player? I want to put it under the tv but I don't have room unless I put it on top of the dvd player Also, I'm here a lot, can I use it all the time, maybe give it 5 min cool downs sometimes?

When you get a subwoofer, the best rule of thumb is to use as low a crossover point as you can while still falling under the +/-3 dB response range of your main speakers...I'd say 80Hz or 60Hz are a good start. 40Hz if you can pull it off, but go with what sounds best. Don't exceed 90Hz with Cerwin Vega's

The CV's can take a lot of punishment..back in college we use to blast everything from AC/DC to Tupac through some CV's at my apartment...when things sound bad turn it down. The speakers should be fine until they're over-driven..Just be sensible and don't exceed the -20 dB rating for very long.
    As for the computer connection, I assume the soundcard should have some outputs, optical, coaxial, etc...use those to connect to the receiver aux inputs (or whatever's available)...I haven't done this in 2 years so things might be different now.

Don't put the Center channel on the DVD player. Move the DVD player. It needs to breathe...you don't want to buy another DVD player.
    You should be able to run it for quite a long time...I have mine on for 12 hours a day sometimes...not at high volumes the whole time, but at moderate levels...talking volume (do you have an SPL meter, that's useful for gauging how hard you push your system)...just keep an eye on things...make sure the receiver is in a well ventilated area so it can breathe and not overheat...I'd give it 30 minute cool down periods at least if it's on all day...Might not be necessary though.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for your help, what is this within the +/-3 db range of my speakers? They're like 96db or something. Also, don't have the spl meter but radio shack should have one...I'll post if anything new comes up.
    Last edited by mr. budget; 03-25-2005 at 03:54 AM.

Thread Information