bi-amp w/ any 5 channel amp?

this may be a dumb question, but if i want to bi-amp my front speakers...can i use any multichannel amp? If so, how is it done?
    I'm looking at a 5 channel amp for this purpose. I will be using RCA cables not balanced. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    this may be a dumb question, but if i want to bi-amp my front speakers...can i use any multichannel amp? If so, how is it done?
    I'm looking at a 5 channel amp for this purpose. I will be using RCA cables not balanced. Thanks!!!

Yep. You'll need a crossover (active or passive) that goes between the pre-amp and the amp and then feed the seperate outputs to the various channels on your amp.

The following has a diagram on page 3 labeled "Stereo Two-Way" that should help:

http://www.rane.com/pdf/ac22bdat.pdf

-Bruce

Absolutely...but why?

I didn't think you needed another crossover to do this if your speakers already were bi-wire/bi-amp capable. After all, when you run the separate cable runs to the upper and lower connections on the speakers, aren't you utilizing the upper and lower crossover in the speaker? Why the additional crossover or am I missing something?

More importantly, imo is why would you want to do this. Yeah, yeah, I know all the mishmash about how it's an easier load on the amps to have two separate power supplies driving the mids/highs and the lows. Less crosstalk, better power reserves, yada yada yada. I doubt you'll hear the difference. If you can congrats, because you're hearing is a helluva better than anyone I know. The only reason I can see for bi-amping is if you run different amps with different sonic signatures to the highs/mids and lows. For instance, running a tube amp to the highs/mids and ss or digital to the lows. That way you get the magic midrange/euphonic sound of tubes where it matters: voices and treble extension, and get the depth, speed and slam of great ss or digital amps in the bass. Running the same amp to both nets you what audible gains?

It's funny you brought this up with the Sunfire. This must be some marketing thing with them because when I was considering amps, even though I only wanted (and bought) a 2 channel, the shop was trying to push the exact same thing on me with the Cinema Grand stating how great it is to bi-amp with it. Even if I liked the sound of the Sunfire, I wasn't sold on the benefits of paying more for the extra channels.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I didn't think you needed another crossover to do this if your speakers already were bi-wire/bi-amp capable. After all, when you run the separate cable runs to the upper and lower connections on the speakers, aren't you utilizing the upper and lower crossover in the speaker? Why the additional crossover or am I missing something?

I guess I'm used to not having those components in the speakers when biamping. It pretty well defeats the purpose otherwise, in my opinion.

-Bruce

wish more feedback on the Sunfire existed. I cannot demo one nearby. I wonder if their bi-amp is just for sales or adds real value. The one true amp i demoed with my speakers is one I cannot afford, the Classe 201.

Demo this with your speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    wish more feedback on the Sunfire existed. I cannot demo one nearby. I wonder if their bi-amp is just for sales or adds real value. The one true amp i demoed with my speakers is one I cannot afford, the Classe 201.
    Here's a no-lose situation. What if you could get an amp for 30 days from the factory and if you didn't like it, return it for a full refund? No this is not an internet only company. I demo'd B&K, Rotel, Odyssey, Krell, Sunfire, Anthem, Adcom and a host of others before finding the PS Audio HCA2.

http://www.psaudio.com/products/hca.asp

The great thing is you can demo the amp within your own system, room acoustics, etc. and then decide if it's best for you. At less than 40lbs, your return shipping will probably be $35 UPS ground if you don't like it. For a 30 day demo don't you think it's worth it? However, I'd be surprised if you didn't like it. Sonically, it has the liquidity of tubes in the mids and highs yet conversely it has low energy slam and depth of the best ss amps (only deeper!). Cymbals sound like cymbals with the right attack and decay (I'm a drummer, trust me on this) and voices from Sarah McLachlaughn to Satchmo are just wonderful. Bass, as mentioned, is unreal and scary fast with no bloating or overhang. Obviously, I like it a lot It's not perfect, there could be a tad more detailing in the microdynamics, but it's not enough that you would notice unless a/b testing versus other amps like I was. Some also have a problem with its size...or lack thereof. This a realtively small unit and because it's digital, it runs dead cold regardless of the load. It lacks cooling fins and venting holes because they would be superfluous. The HCA2 is THAT efficient. I think it's pretty damn cool looking.

Even though it sounds like I'm a shill for PSA, I'm not. I would trade it in a heartbeat for pair of ARC mono's. I just don't want to deal with tubes at this stage of my life. Give it a listen. If it doesn't match well with your system, you're out the cost of a cheap dinner for one.

Thread Information