Cool Best receiver for my Ca$h

Hi, i'm in need a new receiver for my stereo, cause my corrent setup is a sony stereo thingy from the 70's as my tuner, and a very well aged sansui integrated. So, I need a new receiver to run my shiny new Paradigm atoms. My price is around $300-350 CND, and I would have to be able to purchass it in or near ottawa, ontatrio. Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

$300-$350 receivers

Hey audio dude,
    At this price point I'm pretty well sold on Onkyo products. I use the R510 which is probably 4 years old, not sure what the corresponding numbers for new models would be. I like it well enough that I have a Denon 1802 relegated to backup status in a secondary system.My reasoning is as follows:
    1) flexibility--no shortage of input/output options, as well as preouts ensuring that if I upgrade speakers to something less efficient than my warhorse KEF units I can slap a power amp in line and continue on with business.
    2) strong output performance--most receiver stats are questionable at best, and it could certainly be debated as to the true performance of my unit, but I do get more than sufficient power for a 12x20 room in either multi-channel or two-channel modes. Since you are using Atoms I am going under the assumption that your not trying to fill an auditorium.
    3) ease of use--remote?ergonomically acceptable and highly utilitarian. Want DSPs?rarely use them myself but there are tons available.

Just one idea out of many. I'm sure a lot of the guys will mention Yamaha. I owned one about ten years ago in college and have no bad words to say about it at all. Listening for yourself is the key and I hope this gives you a place to start. Good luck and have fun!

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I'm sure a lot of the guys will mention Yamaha.
    Not in this price range. The entry level two channel starts at $299 retail american, although street prices will be obviously lower.

If you are willing to ebay, this is the two channel reciever I would go with, it retailed for $550 american, but has since been discontinued: http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-RX-777-5-...QQcmdZViewItem

If you want a warranty, there may be some shops that have a few floor models still hanging around.

Forum Regular
    The Onkyo 8011 and 8211 should fit your budget and are decent units. If I were you though I would consider the introductory Denon DRA-295. At $250 US it should fit right into your budget and I would think you'd have some dealers in Ottawa who carry it. I've heard it quite a bit and it will drive most speakers quite well and has a very nice feature set for an introductory receiver. Check it out. Another possibility is a Harmon Kardon HK 3380 but I don't know about availability in Canada. Used is a possibility but if you are just starting out I think it is often better to buy new until you have a little experience. It's nice to have a warranty and return privileges if you need them. Hope this helps and enjoy those Atoms!
    Gary

Umm, are you sure a new receiver will better that Sansui? Vintage Sansui's are very well regarded, and for good reason. They were one of the few Japanese companies that actually put some effort into what they built. Huge transformers and quality caps were the norm, not he exception. At the price point you're considering, most of the stuff you'll be looking at is practically disposable.

hmmm....the sansui amp is the model "AU 4900" it sounds pretty good, but I want a better tuner, and amybe a display..

Forum Regular
    While I will stick with my recommendation of the Denon DRA-295, topspeed makes a good point about your integrated. You could buy a standalone tuner from Yamaha or Denon. I'm not certain but I think both companies have products well within your budget. You could also check out a matching Sansui tuner on the vintage market. If you go this route, be sure it has been gone over by a good tech and brought up to spec before buying. Frankly though, if you're like me, a contemporary receiver with a nice remote is a great convenience and should give you good service with your new speakers. Regardless of what you decide I would hang on to your integrated. It would be a great amp for a second system if you ever want one, say if you upgrade speakers down the road you could pair the Atoms with the Sansui again and say an inexpensive dvd player for a nice bedroom system.Good luck.
    Gary

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    hmmm....the sansui amp is the model "AU 4900" it sounds pretty good, but I want a better tuner, and amybe a display..
    First, look up your Sony tuner here - www.fmtunerinfo.com. See how it stacks up before replacing it. If you get another tuner, you can get a very good used tuner for little $$$.

I would stick with the vintage/classic setup and maybe upgrade the tuner to a better vintage piece (maybe a matching Sansui, even if it's not any better than the Sony). For that authentic vintage vibe you could add a classic tape deck from Pioneer, Yamaha or Akai.

Finally, if you don't have a decent pair of headphones you might consider some Grados or Sennheisers. I have the Sansui Au-5900 integrated and the headphone amp in it really kicks butt with my Grado SR60s. You could add a better tuner, vintage tape deck (or maybe even a turntable) and a pair of headphones for about the same $$$ as a new receiver.

If you go w/ a new stereo receiver, start by checking out something a little out of your price range like the one from Outlaw Audio and then decide whether you want to save up for it or whether you'll be satisfied with something cheaper.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Audio dude,
    Yeah, I may have jumped the gun on that one. I was operating on the assumption that there was something inherently wrong with the Sansui. And while I would to continue to support the brands of receivers mentioned above, you will probably have to increase your expenditures pretty dramatically over $350C to get a noticable sound improvement.
    If convenience is the issue then you may be on the right track, but for sonic quality, at best, you are looking at a lateral move

Dino!

Good to see you back on the board ! You haven't been posting in FavFilms much.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Dino!

Good to see you back on the board ! You haven't been posting in FavFilms much.
    Hey Speedy!

I like to chime in when I have something relevant to say. I can't remember the last time I sat down and watched a movie. My kids are out for spring break next week so I'm bustin' it at work so I can take a little chill time next week. I've been thinkin' bout a post for favfilms, though. I'm gonna post a list and short synopsis of obscure movie reference books that I collected back in the dark ages before you could find whatever you wanted on the www. I think some of them would still be useful and informative if they're still in print.

hehehe, already have a set of grado sr60's, they sound great.
    I was thinking about buying a decent receiver from yamaha or somthing and using the pre out as my tuner? then, if/when the sansui dies, I can use the receiver!

Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    hehehe, already have a set of grado sr60's, they sound great.
    I was thinking about buying a decent receiver from yamaha or somthing and using the pre out as my tuner? then, if/when the sansui dies, I can use the receiver!
    My son is using my old NAD 7225PE stereo receiver as his tuner and phono pre with his Cambridge Audio integrated amp. That's not a bad idea. It adds some flexibility. As long as your preamp section in the Sansui keeps on tickin', you won't have to worry about finding a receiver with phono if you use or decide to add a turntable. (One of the amp channels went out in the NAD. Instead of spending more than it's worth to repair it or throwing it out, it's in use as a tuner and pretty good phono pre.) If you plan on staying with the Atoms long term then you're in the right ballpark with Yamaha, Denon, etc. (That's not a slight toward the Atoms, Yamaha or Denon. I'm just looking at the speaker/amp price ratio.)

Unhappy

hmm...the yamaha receiver I want doesn't have a pre-out...so what do I do?!?

Thread Information