Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular
    Thanks again for all of the input. I think the idea of spending less at first until I get a good handle on my sonic preferences is a good idea. My intentions from the get go essentially are based on that very idea, as my goal is to do as much research as possible and get the best bang for my buck that I can. Then, once I take the plunge and buy something, I'll at least begin to increase my experience with audio gear, and learn a bit more about my sonic preferences, because I'll be able to compare that purchase with my current setup.

Suspended
    With out too much expense you could pick up the X-ray and the Emo preamp. This would give you a good base line to work from. The preamp has the theater bypass if you wished to keep the Emo power in the HT set up. Or, for not much more pick up the 1082, you'd have to check on a bypass, may have to compromise there. Any way if the 1082 sound like RGA says and the X-ray, your system should sound pretty nice. I think you'll be impressed with the X-ray and either dedicated preamp will be a pretty large improvement over the Yamaha for music preamp. The Emo offers some nice features like the mentioned bypass and sub out with two way crossover, and as I stated I like same brand for synergy. When upgrade time comes the Rotel might be an easier sell along with getting more of your money back.

Forum Regular
    Mr. P., getting the cd player and a decent pre-amp is a good idea. I hope to purchase within the near future.

Forum Regular
    Hi RGA,

I'm wondering if you could tell me where they are selling the Rotel RC-1082's for half price? I don't think you mentioned where the sale is and I can't seem to find out by using google. If you could give me that info I would appreciate it. Also, I did a bit of reading on it but by no means a lot, and I think that this preamp does not have a HT bypass or equivalent under another name, unless I missed something. Can you confirm please. Thanks
    Last edited by devuonoste; 10-20-2009 at 02:07 PM.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    The Rotel may not be for you - I did not know you were looking for a Home theater bypass. I do not believe it can be done. This is Rotel's two channel line-up. They have a home theater side and maybe there is an amplifier to consider.

For Rotel's lower price you would have to check with Rotel dealer's in your are to see what they've got going. My dealer is soundhounds in Victoria BC Canada - they likely won't sell you something if Rotel is anywhere near you because they have restrictions on regions of sale.

So if you can't find this unit on discount and or you can't live without the home theater bypass then certainly explore other options. The Rotel was mainly used as an example.

However from the same line-up there was the Rotel RSP 1069 which is supposed to be a very good preamp/processor that went for $2200 - so if this has been replaced then they may be on a clear-out. Soundhounds is a two channel only stereo shop. No home theater rooms. I can make zero comment on it - I have never even seen in it in person but http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...l_rsp_1069.htm

Suspended
    RGA, he wants the preamp for stereo and his Yamaha for home theater. The 1069 is a full blown processor.

To buy Rotel online (temporarily) check: www.spearitsound.com they used to be a Rotel dealer for years and recently parted ways so they are liquidating inventory via the net.

Suspended
    http://www.avguide.com/review/rotel-...o-preamplifier

I saw a few featuer lists for the 1082 and I didn't see a bypass. It does feature several input including phono with built in preamp, headphone amp and input for mp3 player.

RGA, glad you pointed this preamp out, it's good to see Rotel breaking their mold. I'll have to get a chance to check some of their new gear out.

I have the Rotel RC 1090 preamp paired with the X-RAY and they actually sound good together. There is one on audiogon for $525.

frenchmon

I think the 1082 is the same as the 1090, but only the 1090 does not have the bass, treble and balance controls as the 1082 does. I think the 1082 replaced the 1090.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    I think the 1082 is the same as the 1090, but only the 1090 does not have the bass, treble and balance controls as the 1082 does. I think the 1082 replaced the 1090.
    I don't think so from what I've been reading. The 1082 is a departure from Rotel's "house sound". This has me interested in hearing what that means, I was not a fan of Rotel's sound. Not bad, just not my thing.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    To give the 1090 the benefit of the doubt it is "possible" that this series was also a departure - The TAS reviewer unfortunately wasn't specific in mentioning which prior series he was talking about. Rotel has a bucked of models and I find it doubtful anyone would have seriously auditioned every preamp coming out Rotel. I have not heard the 1090. The 1090 though seems to me to be more of a feature loaded preamp with the kinds of connections on offer and the LED display. I know the 1090 was fairly well thought of as well for being a good bang for the buck unit.

For me there is no home theater - I am building a third system that will be dedicated for home theater down the line - of course I've been saying that for the last 9 years and I still haven't bothered - which is off because I have a very sizable DVD collection. Maybe I should try the Marantz surround receiver I bought several years back. I have never actually tried it as a surround sound amp.

The Absolute Sound reviewer Chris Martens does try to discuss the sonic departure for the Rotel http://www.avguide.com/review/rotel-...o-preamplifier.

I suppose Rotel figured if you wanted a home theater unit you would buy the RC 1069 and would not go for a stereo preamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I don't think so from what I've been reading. The 1082 is a departure from Rotel's "house sound". This has me interested in hearing what that means, I was not a fan of Rotel's sound. Not bad, just not my thing.
    I've read that review as well about the house sound. But I assure you that the 1090 is not of that character. In-fact from what I have read of the 1090 over at Club Rotel at htguide.com, the 1090 is pretty much 98% that same unit as the 1082 only without the bass, treble and balance nobs. And like the 1082, it has no digital connections...it is pure analog. I think the guy doing the review said the 1082 was the only preamp by Rotel to do this, he must have not seen the 1090. Its purely two channel analog. It had very favorable reviews and many who have used this preamp along with the others prefer the 1090. There was even one thred that ranked the Rotel preamps and the 1090 and 1082 as well as the 1082 and 1090 in ether order, was the way they where ranked by a few who had or heard both units. I believe I read some where the 1082 was made after the 1090 was discontinued.

BTW...I may have a chance to get away from the wife and kids this weekend. If so do you want to do the shootout with the EMO and Rotel CDP? IF so I can bring the Rotel amp and preamp 1090 as well . Let me know.

frenchmon

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    To give the 1090 the benefit of the doubt it is "possible" that this series was also a departure - The TAS reviewer unfortunately wasn't specific in mentioning which prior series he was talking about. Rotel has a bucked of models and I find it doubtful anyone would have seriously auditioned every preamp coming out Rotel. I have not heard the 1090. The 1090 though seems to me to be more of a feature loaded preamp with the kinds of connections on offer and the LED display. I know the 1090 was fairly well thought of as well for being a good bang for the buck unit.

For me there is no home theater - I am building a third system that will be dedicated for home theater down the line - of course I've been saying that for the last 9 years and I still haven't bothered - which is off because I have a very sizable DVD collection. Maybe I should try the Marantz surround receiver I bought several years back. I have never actually tried it as a surround sound amp.

The Absolute Sound reviewer Chris Martens does try to discuss the sonic departure for the Rotel http://www.avguide.com/review/rotel-...o-preamplifier.

I suppose Rotel figured if you wanted a home theater unit you would buy the RC 1069 and would not go for a stereo preamp.
    And what features would that be? I dont see any features on the 1090 that are not offered on the 1082 other than analog connections for a dvd player on the 1090 where as the 1082 has the same connection but its labeled aux 3. The units are basically the same units.

frenchmon

Oh I forgot to mention...the 1090 has balanced connections where as the 1082 is with them.

frenchmon

Forum Regular
    Any thoughts on a pre-amp with HT bypass or the equivalent that would be comparable in sound quality to the Rotel 1082 or 1090? Does anyone know how the Emo. USP-1 would compare in sound quality to the Rotels mentioned above?

Dont know if this is in your price range but there is a Conrad - Johnson PV 14L that has a ht bypass. Now that would be a serious preamp to match with that X-RAY.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....-PV-14L-Remote

Suspended
    Frenchmon we can put some gear together this weekend if you want. You can bring the Marantz player if you wish as well. For ease of switching things though I may just use the 500i and then if we want to hear a particcular player on the CJ gear after comparing we can.

The PV-14 or 14ls2 are good suggestions. The issue may be a variation of sound between mains and center when using HT. When I saw that, I'm like, duh, when was I going to think of that.

Unfortunately, no one here has the USP, you should check it out for us. I'll have to look around to see what other preamps I can find with a bypass.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the info. I'll look into those pre-amps.

Suspended
    Weren't you considering the MF A5? It has a bypass, the NAD M3, most any Krell integrated and preamp.

* Looks like Parasound a2100 & P7offer bypass.

* Belles 28 or 21, maybe others (don't know anything else about this preamp except it has the bypass)

* I've read Bryston & Cary offer the feature in some preamps.

* The Adcom gfp-750 does and I've heard this is a great preamp in passive mode.

* If you hit the lottery a couple Boulder pieces do a preamp 2010 and the integrated 865

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the info Mr. P. You are correct that I have the MF A-5 on my list as well as the NAD. I just wanted to look into a nice pre-amp to go with possibly the Odyssey Stratos Extreme monos or equivalent monos, as I'd like to keep my options open. I am trying to get as much info as possible; however, it's becoming rather difficult to decide what direction I want to take, as there are so many options that would sound really well and could possibly satisfy my tastes. Also, I thought I may go with a pre-amp with the bypass and the xray cd player for now and see how the sound of my system changes. I know you discussed the difference between the center and the mains above, but I'm wondering if a pre-amp with the bypass works in a way that the pre-amp and power amp work in 2channel and then when you use the bypass, the system operates as I have it now (i.e. the yammy and power amp working together for HT). That's the way the Emotiva rep. explained it to me. Can you let me know if I'm missing something? Once again I thank all for all of your suggestions, as it's nice to get info on a number of different candidates that I probably wouldn't have looked into.

Suspended
    You have it correct how the bypass would work. Any sound difference would possibly come from the stereo preamp if the sonic signature was very different, like tubes, for instance. But just passing the signal through it may be minimal.

Suspended
    Hey, if you are considering the Conrad Johnson, I'd be willing to sell my PV14-ls2 in order to step up to a CT-6. Mine is in perfect condition. Of course, it has some time on the tubes. I still have original box and manual. If interested let me know and I will shoot you a price.

Forum Regular
    Mr. P. I am interested but I may have to wait until early next year to purchase, as I'm having a tough time convincing my wife about the cd player and the pre-amp. I may have to wait until next year to get both. I guess I can't complain, as I bought the av123 LS6's, the Emotiva, an audio rack and a number of CD's within the last few months. I appreciate the offer, and if you can wait that long I would consider purchasing yours. I am still open to any info on audio setups, as I still want to get as much info as possible.

Suspended
    thanks for a good info

Suspended
    I'm sure I'll still have it, I'm not actively posting it for sale. But if I did sell it I'd have a good reason to step up

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information