Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: BAT Preamp

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Jack, I am selling my X1 preamp for $2100 if you are interested.
    I think that I would like to try some tubed pre first. Thanks for thinking of me and I'm sure it would be a step up from what I'm using now, but I'm at that age where if I'm going to do it, get what you want. You shouldn't have any trouble selling it, Pass Labs almost sell themselves.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I think that I would like to try some tubed pre first. Thanks for thinking of me and I'm sure it would be a step up from what I'm using now, but I'm at that age where if I'm going to do it, get what you want. You shouldn't have any trouble selling it, Pass Labs almost sell themselves.
    I don't blame you. Thats why I finally decided to upgrade my entire system. I am not getting any younger. Thank god for good used gear. I could not afford this $hit new!
    I figure the new cost of my 2 channel system is about $20K and I paid 1/2 that.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

That AN DAC looks interesting. I will have to research it. I am considering the PS Audio Perfect Wave MKii. It retails for $4K but can be had used for $2K. I want a DAC that is balanced.

Here is a picture of the BAT. Its quality is not that great-

Attachment 9616
    Now thats what im talking about! Bravo mi man...you've done good as they say! And I love what you have to say about the sound! Yeah man.....tubes is where its at as far as im concerned. Not to say SS amps arent great as well, but for my ears, tubes does it for me....I love the emotion and romance they offer.

As far as DAC...at that price point you should look around before spending on the PS Audio DAC....this DAC will be a much better buy with more options.

INVICTA | Resonessence

Amazing HiFi System with Resonessence Invicta DAC, Leema Acoustics and PMC - YouTube

I will be purchasing the CONCERO HD in a few months.

CONCERO | Resonessence

All the Resonessence Dacs have that Saber DAC which is outstanding.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

So basically what Raven has is a hybrid system......cool.

Jack, I think you are doing it the right way, and you where at one point a tube man with the Jolida, so you know tubes and what they can offer. While you are getting your remodel done, you should spend some time doing research and scoping out which direction in tubed preamps you want to go?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    So basically what Raven has is a hybrid system......cool.

Jack, I think you are doing it the right way, and you where at one point a tube man with the Jolida, so you know tubes and what they can offer. While you are getting your remodel done, you should spend some time doing research and scoping out which direction in tubed preamps you want to go?
    I will be checking on various preamps while the construction is going on. BAT is about 20 minutes from my house and I also have my Audio Research dealer on the lookout for a nice used pre. You mentioned my old Jolida, it did have warmth and emotion but just lacked the low end thump that SS brings to the table.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Now thats what im talking about! Bravo mi man...you've done good as they say! And I love what you have to say about the sound! Yeah man.....tubes is where its at as far as im concerned. Not to say SS amps arent great as well, but for my ears, tubes does it for me....I love the emotion and romance they offer.

As far as DAC...at that price point you should look around before spending on the PS Audio DAC....this DAC will be a much better buy with more options.

INVICTA | Resonessence

Amazing HiFi System with Resonessence Invicta DAC, Leema Acoustics and PMC - YouTube

I will be purchasing the CONCERO HD in a few months.

CONCERO | Resonessence

All the Resonessence Dacs have that Saber DAC which is outstanding.
    The Resonessence INVICTA is a fascinating product. It's clearly more than simply a DAC, rather combines features of an AVR, media streamer, and preamp. The price is high although there is an argument for it considering its unique combo of features.

Here is a nice detailed user review of the Invicta, it looks interesting-

Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system

Here is another review-

Resonessence Labs Invicta DAC Review
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

And from what I gather from several readings about the Resonessence Labs, they are the company that designs and manufactures the Sabre DAC. They are one and the same ESS Technology, they know DAC chips and the Sabre DAC chips are the leaders in this technology.

Company | Resonessence

"Resonessence Labs is a trading name of BCIC Designs Inc. a company registered in British Columbia Canada. The principal founder of the company is Mark Mallinson, former Operations Director for ESS Technology. The company’s focus is to design and manufacture exceptional audio products. Our design engineers and Investors are industry audio experts at DAC and ADC design, and were front and center in the design of the ESS Audio DAC and ADC."

ESS Technology - Clearly the best

In about 2 months I will have one of their DAC's!

Raven wants a balanced DAC so that would rule out the Concero and push him up to the Invicta which I think is 4K. So the PS Audio might be the better fit for him. I've seen new units on Audiogon for $2200, now that's a deal.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Raven wants a balanced DAC so that would rule out the Concero and push him up to the Invicta which I think is 4K. So the PS Audio might be the better fit for him. I've seen new units on Audiogon for $2200, now that's a deal.
    Spot on Jack! It looks like PS Audio is dumping the MKii DAC as they are coming out with a new DSD DAC the Direct Stream, thats why there are so many MKii's for 1/2 price on audiogon right now from the manufacturer. I wish I could buy one now but my wife would divorce me. Hmm!

I am also considering a used Bel Canto DAC 2.5 and 3.5 and there is a local dealer here considering that they are made here in Minneapolis.

PS Audio | Connected high-end home entertainment products

http://www.belcantodesign.com/Belcan...Converter.html
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

The Direct Stream looks like a sweet unit. I'll be looking for the reviews on that, when it hits the market.

I was looking at the back of the Bel Canto, they sure don't want you to use an after market power cord do they.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Spot on Jack! It looks like PS Audio is dumping the MKii DAC as they are coming out with a new DSD DAC the Direct Stream, thats why there are so many MKii's for 1/2 price on audiogon right now from the manufacturer. I wish I could buy one now but my wife would divorce me. Hmm!

I am also considering a used Bel Canto DAC 2.5 and 3.5 and there is a local dealer here considering that they are made here in Minneapolis.

PS Audio | Connected high-end home entertainment products

Bel Canto Design -- DAC3.5VB mkII
    Those are sweet looking components, not doubt.

Personally I'd prioritized balance topology and a discrete analog section ahead of DSD and gee-whiz features. For much less money but meeting those criterion I'd check out Schiit Audio's Gungnir DAC, HERE.

The Gungnir is fully balanced and upgradable. I'm certainly very pleased with my Bifrost Uber which is, in effect, a single-ended version of the Gungnir. Quite conceivably Schiit will offer a DSD upgrade at some point although I personally think DSD is a scam -- there is absolutely no objective basis for considering DSD superior to PCM: quite the reverse actually.

DSD is not a priority for me. Sound quality and XLR rank 1,2. I would like to have an SACD player though. Thats why I have been considering a Marantz 11S3 SACD player which is also a DAC. However the reviews on the Bel Canto's are excellent and appear to have the sound I am looking for-detailed, dynamic, transparent, wide sound stage with a hint of warmth.

I can always add a Schiit Loki if I want DSD.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

DSD is not a priority for me. Sound quality and XLR rank 1,2. I would like to have an SACD player though. Thats why I have been considering a Marantz 11S3 SACD player which is also a DAC. However the reviews on the Bel Canto's are excellent and appear to have the sound I am looking for-detailed, dynamic, transparent, wide sound stage with a hint of warmth.

Just a head's up here. The Loki would be fine for the occasional DSD file but it is essentially just a Modi with DSD. I owned the Modi for a while, and while the Modi, and I presume the similar Loki, was an easy listen, it didn't have anywhere near the transparency or air of the Bifrost much less the Bifrost Uber.

Can you run two DAC's at the same time?
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Can you run two DAC's at the same time?
    The Schitt Loki is unusual in that it has a by-pass that routes the output of your 'other' DAC through it and on directly to you amp/preamp input. I.e. this arrangement has the sole advantage that only one preamp input is need to accommodate both DACs. Note however that the Loki and our 'other' DAC must each have its own connection from the digital source.

You sure can run 2 DAC's if your source has 2 digital outs.

Its been pretty dead around here lately so I thought I would post my final thoughts on the BAT.

The BAT has taken my listening experience to new heights and enjoyment. I spend 2-4 hours a day listening to music. The Pass X1 preamp surely improved the sound of my system but not to the extent of the BAT. The music is more palpable, textured and real sounding, especially vocals. I find myself smiling when listening. I am no longer sitting there and critiquing the sound any more. The pairing of the BAT and the Pass X250 amp is a good one and seems like they were made for each other.

I have been tube rolling my DAC and what I have found is that all the tubes sound good, just some are better than others. This was not the case with my Van Alstine preamp and the X1. I am amazed at how the BAT can take a source signal and make it sound so good.

Another thing that I have noticed and am grateful for is that the BAT makes all my recordings sound good, even the poorly recorded ones which is the complete opposite of what people have said about their high end gear. Most people say that their high end gear exposes the weaknesses of poorly recorded music. This is not so with the BAT. Yes, you will still be able to tell that it is a poor recording but because the BAT adds depth, detail and spacing between instruments, things just sound better. The hint of tube warmth and darkness helps as well. The Pass X1 did this to some extent but I find I am able to listen to some recordings that I did not want to listen to before with the X1 as they were fatiguing.

I am as close to Audio Nirvana as I can get right now. Adding a better DAC and a pair of Magnepan 1.7's would push me over the edge I think (of course the new BAT VK-53se and a Pass X250.5 would help too).
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Raven, Pass is up to the X250.8 now . I met a guy from Audio Circle today, Blackmore, he has an older BAT tube power amp, he was telling me that he found his amp worked better with XLR connections, he said he could tell a difference even from using the adapters. I didn't ask if he ever used the Cardas. I also realize at this point you have no choice, I'm just passing along info.

I tried some Clarus XLR's in my system, I'll probably start another thread on them some day, the improvement was very good, no need for A/B as it was that evident. If you ever want to take your gear to new heights, once you recover from your recent purchases you need to experiment with quality cables. I don't know when Frenchie will be back around but he heard my system today with the cables. These are crazy expensive, I want to borrow some Transparent to get the comparison.

Audio Nirvana tends to be elusive -- congratulations achieving it.

I saw that there is an X250.8. Too expensive for me. The 250.5's should start showing up used at lower prices. Maybe some day I would upgrade but I would rather get a pair of 3.7i Maggies.

Mr P., I am using XLR between my Preamp and Amp. I finally bought pair of these Cardas Clear XLR adapters- Adaptors at the recommendation from Geoff at BAT. They normally sell for $150pr, I found them for $117pr. I use them to connect my DAC to the preamp. I can't tell any difference in sound quality between the $22pr adapters that I was using. I will probably sell them, what a waste of money. The build quality and metal is better but they sound the same.

I was able to negate some of the 6db drop off by using some higher gain tubes. I have some Tung Sol Black Plates from the 1950's that have a nice sound and higher gain.

I am currently negotiating with a guy on a pair of the Cardas Parsec XLR's. There is a woman on AC that replaced some high end kimber cables with the Parsecs and is now selling off all of her much more expensive Kimbers. She said that the Parsecs are as advertised- detailed with bit of warmth.

I am really digging the reviews of Bel Canto Canto DAC'S. Has any one heard one?
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I've heard the Bel Canto and Frenchmon even borrowed one of the DAC/preamps some time back. They do sound good to me but I've never had the chance to A/B up against anything else. To me they come off as neutral, I didn't find it offensive in any way on the other hand it's not warm and fuzzy either. Associated amps were Bel canto as well.

Some one gave me a Cardas Cryo treated RCA to BNC adapter for my Audio Note DAC and I couldn't tell any difference from the regular Radio Shack one I had been using. I figured it was so small compared to the rest of the signal is maybe why.

I'm anxious for you to get the Cardas cables in to see what you think.

I'm not surprised that you don't hear any difference between deluxe Cardas adaptors and the cheaper one. Hate to say it, but I'm not surprised that your BAT contact recommended the Cardas -- audiophile industry representatives & reviews tend to recommend the more expensive stuff. I wonder why that would be?

I recent suckered myself into buying a pair of 4', cryo-treated Neotech NEI-3004 XLR's from Take Five Audio. They were to replace a 7' pair of Belden 1800F from Blue Jeans Cable. The Take Five Neotech's aren't super expensive but did cost about 2x the Blue Jeans Belden. There is absolutely no difference in sound that I can detect.

My advice was and is don't spend money on high-end cables. The sound differences will be extremely small if not imaginary -- unfortunately we can't minimize the placebo effect on audiophiles.

Suspended
    Feanor, all you know is you heard no difference between those two brands, to take that small piece of information and make such a blanket statement is gross exaggeration. The fact is you've yet to spend any money on a cable of quality. If there's no difference why use BJC over the cheezy free cables? Why not try a cable you can return if you hear no difference? I think you are afraid that you might, hear a difference.

The "placebo effect" is a myth, especially how you apply it. If the majority of public, and smaller fraction being audiophiles, can't think for themselves then there's no hope for us and we'd just buy anything and everything, which to my observation is not the case.

I guarantee you if your hearing ability is there you can tell a difference between the BJC and entry level Transparent. Their XLR's start expensive though comparatively. Try a set of Anticable, you can have a return. Or, buy from one of the internet retailers that allow returns.

Most people here on AR have at least tried something that resulted in a difference and have moved on from your ridiculous position.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Feanor, all you know is you heard no difference between those two brands, to take that small piece of information and make such a blanket statement is gross exaggeration. The fact is you've yet to spend any money on a cable of quality. If there's no difference why use BJC over the cheezy free cables? Why not try a cable you can return if you hear no difference? I think you are afraid that you might, hear a difference.

The "placebo effect" is a myth, especially how you apply it. If the majority of public, and smaller fraction being audiophiles, can't think for themselves then there's no hope for us and we'd just buy anything and everything, which to my observation is not the case.

I guarantee you if your hearing ability is there you can tell a difference between the BJC and entry level Transparent. Their XLR's start expensive though comparatively. Try a set of Anticable, you can have a return. Or, buy from one of the internet retailers that allow returns.

Most people here on AR have at least tried something that resulted in a difference and have moved on from your ridiculous position.
    Mr P, I hope you don't take my remarks personally, and yes indeed, your hearing possibly better than mine. I'm an old guy and have limitations in my high frequency hearing.

I have heard many different interconnects and quite a few different speaker cables, mostly low to medium in price, (not very cheap or "cheezy"). They have all sounded practically the same. When I say "practically" that doesn't mean that after A>B'ing for hours I didn't think I heard some extremely fine difference -- though most often I have not.

You mention Transparent cables: they are poor examples to prove your point. All or most of Transparent's ICs employ Zobel networks, i.e. they are not "straight wires". (Same must be said for MIT cables and some others.) They are designed to modify the electrical signal, and accordingly they will sound different.

Audio components obviously differ in the sound differences they deliver.
    • Large differences from speakers, (obviously), and say, phono cartridges
    • Moderate but quite significant differences from major active components: amps, preamps, disc players, DACs
    • Small but still often significant differences from, say, vacuum tubes and maybe turntables
    • Very small but not necessarily negligible differences from, say, opamps, capacitors, or other constituent components
    • Moderate to neglibible, (a wide range), depending on circumstances from RFI/EMI filters and isolation devices
    • Exceedingly fine differences, typically (i.e. excluding very cheap, faulty, or poorly designe examples), from ICs, speaker cables, and power cords

In the realm of fine differences I think it is quite common for audiophiles to imagine differences that just aren't there (or are sub-sensory). That includes me -- I have thought I've heard differences only to try again later to discover I couldn't hear them anymore.

It amazes me to hear you my "placebo" comment ridiculous. Surely you don't deny that some audiophiles, some of the time, in case of fine differences, only imagine differences they think they hear. If you do deny it, I think you should try from Machina Dynamica, HERE, e.g. "Codename Blue Meanies".

BAT Preamp-blue_green_meanies.jpg

Those "Meanies" are the funniest piece of Bull $hit that I have ever seen!

I figured that I would not hear a difference with the Cardas Adapters and I figured that I can get about $80 back if I sell them. BAT recommended high end adapters, they use to sell some. I was skeptical and I was right. If any thing, they will not corrode and they are shorter than the cheap ones and allow my IC's to plug straight in without any bends as with the cheap ones.

I have how ever heard differences in some cables. My AQ Coral IC's had a slightly warmer sound than the BJC's and they were less sibilant. The Tara Labs RSC's when placed in my main system were way too bright. My Monster M1000 and M950's sound like my BJC's. My Silnote IC's sound a bit warmer than the BJC's. And my Virtue Audio cables are junk.

I do expect the Cardas Parsec's to have improved sound based on user reviews. It seems that the reviews on Cardas cables are that they all lean to the warmer side without losing detail.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP