arcam p1000

Printable View

• 07-20-2007, 10:27 AM
    musicman1999
    arcam p1000
    Just wanted to see if anyone had experience with Arcam's p1000 power amp.It would be matched to an Anthem AvM-30 processor driving Jm Labs speakers.Thanks in advance.

bill
  • 07-21-2007, 06:10 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I have heard several Arcam amps and owned one. I have not yet heard that particular one though. I have always been impressed with the ability of the Arcam amps. With the experience I have, had, I wouldn't hesitate to try the p1000. It is of the Diva series though and not the FMJ. FMJ amps are hardier, higher quality amp line. Check to see if their power rating is into 4 ohms, that's the way Arcam usually gives the power rating. That could make a big difference. 135 into 8 ohms, would double into 4 ohms on a high current amp like Arcam. Or, if it's 135 into 4 ohms it would be about half into 8 ohms which you could find disappointing if you have 8 ohm speakers. Either way though I have seen even their small integrated amps drive some very difficult speaker loads.
  • 07-22-2007, 12:37 PM
    musicman1999
    I checked on the Arcam site and it is 135/per into 8 ohms with all channels driven.My speakers are 8 ohm and easily driven so lots of power on tap.I have heard some of their integrated amps but never a straight power amp.I own an Arcam cd player and although it is no longer being used,it is a nice little player,well built and sounds good.Any other ideas around the $2500.00-3000.00 range for 5 or 7 channels?

bill
  • 07-22-2007, 03:16 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I haven't looked at price or features but the buzz I get from the Rotel digital 7 channel amp is good. Also the NAD Master series 7 channel is supposed to be a beast weighing almost 100 lbs.

If you only need 5 channels the LINN 5125 Class D amp I use is a nice amp and could be bought used for under $2k. Actually in your price there are several great options used, including some Krell 5 channel. If you can find one Conrad Johnson has a 5 channel MOSFET that would be under $2k used.

I had a 100x3 channel Arcam FMJ. The Arcam high end was slightly smoother and the bass has more punch and definition than my LINN. The LINN excels in the midrange over the Arcam, all in my opinion, of course. The LINN is only 11 lbs, no heat and has auto turn on, it's like making your processor a receiver because once the LINN is hooked up, you never have to see it again. Other Class D amps may have the same type features too. Overall, for HT, if I had a choice between the LINN of a 5 channel Arcam, I'd stick with my LINN. The midrange is seductive and very clear for dialog and sound effects. If the system was for both HT and music, then the scale may lean back toward the Arcam.

I took a quick look at www.spearitsound.com and they have a Krell 5 channel Showcase that retails $3,995.00, new in the box for $3,195.00. That would be about the ultimate without going over board. Jack I'm sure would pick up shipping and there would be no sales tax, unless you live in MA. I've dealt with Jack buying equipment before, a class act and he has no problem giving you an honest opinion on gear.
  • 07-23-2007, 03:14 PM
    musicman1999
    The system is for both music and ht so maybe i will check out the Arcam,thanks for the info.I was not aware that Krell could be had so cheap.

bill
  • 07-23-2007, 05:38 PM
    bobsticks
    While I have no practical experience with Arcam there are very few amps about which you'll read virtually nothing bad. Arcam seems to fall in this rare category and may be worth an audition. If ya do, please report back.

I own a Rotel multi-channel that is currently riding the bench. Its performance with my MLs was thoroughly decent but frankly shined brighter with B&Ws, Danes and Spendors during audtions. I can't help but wonder if it might bring just a touch too much sizzle to the JMLabs.

Krell is, of course, Krell and would be totally top-notch especially at that price point. I, myself, am currently enjoying musical bliss with one of the McIntosh multi-channels--the MC7205. With 3-4k you might find one used.
  • 07-27-2007, 11:32 AM
    Mr Peabody
    I'm sorry, after checking again the Krell was $4k with a retail of $6k. I accidently looked at the price of a McCormack that was right under it.

The P1000 may not be as big of a gain from the Cambridge as you may want though. The basic style will be similar with the Arcam being somewhat cleaner and stronger. Are you looking at strickly new?
  • 07-27-2007, 12:01 PM
    Mr Peabody
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ult&1190512776 This Krell is $3k

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ult&1190429084

Here's a Classe 5 channel

Here you go! http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ult&1188904535
    This guy has a lot of feedback to check and will accept credit card for additional safety. This looks like a great deal and will certainly give you a big step up in quality.
  • 07-27-2007, 04:34 PM
    musicman1999
    Thanks for the suggestions,that last Krell guy would not ship to Canada,that looked good however.I prefer buying new because i like the piece of mind of a warranty,but for the right deal that could change.I am starting to think you may be right about the Arcam Diva range.It may not give me that "wow,thats good"that i am looking for.
    thanks
    bill
  • 07-27-2007, 05:23 PM
    Mr Peabody
    That's a shame he wouldn't ship, especially for a sale. I can understand wanting a warranty. When I was looking I noticed a Bryston 5 channel, is their unit expensive new? Bryston could give you a near Krell experience. I believe their warranty is something like 20 years transferable, which would be a good find used with remaining warranty time. You might also check to see if anyone around you carries Primare, their amps are good too.
  • 07-27-2007, 05:35 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Another thought
    You could take a look at www.amusicdirect.com and similar sites to see what they offer. I know Musicdirect offers a 30 day return and carries several high end lines. I have no personal experience with PS Audio but they may have a multi-channel in your price This is one of the lines MD has.
  • 07-27-2007, 07:34 PM
    musicman1999
    I am starting to think about starting with a stereo amp for the fronts and add the rest later,that way i can kick the quality level up a bit or cd listening.

bill
  • 07-28-2007, 06:45 AM
    Mr Peabody
    That's an option too and could very well be the best one if you would happen to have 2 preouts, one to the Cambridge for HT and one for the stereo amp when listening to music. The reason I say this is because you may notice that sound effects that pan may be less seamless. Especially if your stereo amp has more of a different sonic signature. I didn't think there was much of a difference when I was using a Krell on mains and my Arcam on center and rear but when I went to a 5 channel amp I did notice the improvement. Going from 5 same channels to 2 amps the difference may be more obvious to you. It also will depend on how sensitive you are to the differences in sound. I seem to be able to pick up on this type of thing where others who have watched movies with me couldn't even tell if my levels were off or not. I remember my brother was over and wanted to watch Star Wars which was just out at the time, I just done some change and didn't have a chance to set things up properly, my levels were off badly, he couldn't tell and I was climbing the walls.

If your budget is the same, you could get more amp with only 2 channel as well.