Thread: Amp research

Forum Regular

Amp research

When looking for an amp to buy to power 4 ohm speakers, what should I loof out for? Should I look at what an amp is powere for 4 ohm or 8 ohm?

The Collector
    what kind of power do you want? how much do you want to spend? do you want it for movies or music? is it going to be used in a surround setup?

Forum Regular
    4 0hms, since the speakers are rated at 4 ohms.
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Forum Regular

We need some more information here since "it depends"

What speakers do you have or are you considering. Some 4 ohms speakers are a bit nasty to drive, and others are actually fairly easy.

What is your budget? I just did a really stupid thing and let my dealer talk me into bringing home a Parasound Halo A51. This is a 250 watt behemoth that makes my little speakers do very sick and wonderful things. It also isn't cheap...but now I'll probably end up getting one before the year is out...it's just too cool, and way too pretty. It isn't in my budget right now, but, I'll have to start putting my quarters in a jar. Something like this doesn't care if your speakers are easy to drive, or a real *****.
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Forum Regular
    My speakers are 4 ohm 85db MB Quart S line for a 5.1 application. I mostly listen to two channel music, but enjoy a killer sounding movie as well, even DVD audio... Looking to spend no more than 800.00 on a A/V Receiver, or if it's a two channel amp, no more than 600.00. I have been looking into NAD C270 or ??????

Forum Regular

Lightbulb Would you consider a Yamaha ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dharris
    My speakers are 4 ohm 85db MB Quart S line for a 5.1 application. I mostly listen to two channel music, but enjoy a killer sounding movie as well, even DVD audio... Looking to spend no more than 800.00 on a A/V Receiver, or if it's a two channel amp, no more than 600.00. I have been looking into NAD C270 or ??????
    Dharris , would you look into a cost effective and still great sounding option of a Yamaha reciever / Integrated amp/ AV Reciever. We've been recently discussing this on a seperate forum thread in the same forum room - it might make you rethink - for that price it could be a killer deal - though I dont think it would even closely rival "Spacedeckman's" behemoth - but then I guess it would cost many times less - thats something that does matter.

Forum Regular
    I would not recommend your speakers with a reciever! Your asking for trouble.
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bturk667
    I would not recommend your speakers with a reciever! Your asking for trouble.
    So you think that i should go with a two channel amp and use my current receiver as a pre amp?

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dharris
    So you think that i should go with a two channel amp and use my current receiver as a pre amp?
    Okay here is a cheap solution for you. Right now I'm contemplating the purchase of a Receiver...those on this forum who know how much I hate receivers are likely in shock at this. LOL...okay I'm not quite that ego-centric...close.

Now my speakers are FAR easier to drive...big wharfedales 80hs amd 95db sensitive. I'm looking at the Marantz 4300 and 5300. I need a second headphone system primarily but I figure why not get home theater and a tuner.

Anyway, The reaosn I have so targeted this line is because it has preouts. What this means is that this company is allowing you to upgrade the truly bombastically crappy power amp sections they provide...high current in these receivers is a totally meaningless buzz-word that sdoes not translate to better souning receivers...a better noiseless preamp section will.

So here is what YOU and I do. We get one of these receivers...right now they are being blown out because they're last years models(I may not get the right remote so the deal may fall through) but the 4300 here is $320.00Cdn or $250.00US. Then you go out an purchase a used Rotel, Adcom or Bryston Power amp for $500.00 which will have more power and a better power supply than probably any receiver made by any Japanese brand at $4k. The cheap Marantz units have most of the processing which I doubt the 2-3 level up models are going to improve on. You lose a few on screen features perhaps.

Marantz did well in the blind listening sessions at Hi-fi Choice magazine as well.

SO for $750.00 you get a powerhouse used power amp and a full functioning receiver with all the major surround modes and 6.1(1 more than you need IMO). Then you use the Receiver's MAIN channels to drive the rear and the power amp to drive the fronts.

Short of going all separates this is the only real option that I would consider for my easy to drive speakers...for you IMO it's practically a must.

Forum Regular
    So RGA, can I use my current receivers pre-outs instead of buying another A/V receiver?

RGA
    Forum Regular
    By all means yes. Some receivers have preots for the front speakers some have them for all 5-6 or 7channels. You could probably pick up a very very good Rotel power amp on the used market for around $300-$400 which would likely embarrass most flagship receivers' power supplies...or at the very worst equal them.

Then it simply becomes -- does your receiver have all the features you need? The other advantage is once you have all of the power amps - or one big multi-channel power amp - then when you upgrade you can get a dedicated preamp/processor and boom you have separates.

Forum Regular

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    You could probably pick up a very very good Rotel power amp on the used market for around $300-$400 which would likely embarrass most flagship receivers' power supplies...or at the very worst equal them.

Hey- DHARRIS

Sent you an email already from your last post- it is your lucky day my friend! I am selling 2 Rotel amps that would work sweet for you. Take your pick! RGA is the man- Rotel is awesome and WILL embarrass most power amps and receivers!

Forum Regular
    I know you all will get a kick out of this but I can't surf here watching the blind leading the blind...........Marantz? Hi Fi Choice Mag? Adcom? I have a life and will continue to enjoy it. You all take care and care of each other
    Adios

Thread Information