Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar

Anyone love/hate ADCOM here?

Hello,
    I picked up a GTP-870HD this weekend off of a great deal on ubid. Now, I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. My current system is a mixture of of equipment that I've bought off of CL, ubid, and ebay. I'm to poor to go the purist route. So, I just read lots of audiophile comments and buy either: used, refurbished or deep discounted stuff (5 kids--three in collage--makes a guy poor.)

My current system is used 90% for music and 10% movies:

--> Four In-Wall Klipsch R-5650-S (2 back and 2 surround)
    --> Denon DVD-3930CI (DVD/Audio CD)
    --> B&W 684 fronts (which sounded just OK driven by my denon 687, but are incredible driven by my vintage Harman Kardon pm655).
    --> Denon 687 (Which is hooked to my four inwall Klipschs).
    --> A wonderful Harman Kardon PM655 vintage integrated amp (at least 20 years old) that is hooked to my front B&W 684's.

--> No name lousy subwoofer that has a fake plant on it, and is never turned on.
    --> Sharp XR-32X (Cheap 720p projector that does the job for now).

-----------------

I was thinking that the Adcom would allow me to have the same pre-amp for all speakers. But, now I need a power amp. So, if I may, I'd like to ask for some help on a few questions:

-- What Power amp would go with my Adcom and B&W's?

-- Until I get a power amp, can I just use the Harman Kardon PM655 as my power amp for four of the speakers? (e.g. it can drive two sets of speakers. The PM655 has the ability to separate the pre and power amp portions. So, could I feed the Adcom directly into the power amp section of the PM655?)

Best Regards,
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

It seems like the logical power amp for your setup could be an Adcom multi-channel model like the GFA-7607 or GFA-7707. You're going to need individual amplification for seven channels to get the most out of the setup and the PM655 is going to give you only two, even though it can drive four speakers. I suppose you could also use the PM655 to drive two channels and get a 5-channnel amp like a GFA-7000 for the other speakers, but it seems like if you're getting the 5-channel amp you could use only that.

Suspended
    Agreed. NAD would also make a good match and be in the same price range as Adcom or possibly find used.

Also, check www.audiogon.com

Mr Peabody & 02audionoob,
    Thanks for your help. I was thinking about the GFA-7607 as well, but I didn't know if they would work well with my B&W 684's. That's why I was toying with a Rotel. Thanks again for your help.

BTW, here's a couple of reviews that describe the GTP-880 (predecessor of the GTP-870HD) and the GFA-7607.

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/surroun...sors/704adcom/

http://www.hometheatermag.com/preamp...sors/304adcom/

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 08-24-2009 at 11:57 AM.
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

What are you thinking might be better about the Rotel? In general, if I were choosing head to head, I'd choose Adcom.

Suspended
    I had the gfa-5400 and at 125x2 it drove Dynaudio Audience 60's with no problem. They are a very good value in most instances. And a steal for what they sell for used. You can find their 555 or 5500, 200x2, for under $500.00. I still have an Adcom system but using a 5500 now with a gtp-450.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I had the gfa-5400 and at 125x2 it drove Dynaudio Audience 60's with no problem. They are a very good value in most instances. And a steal for what they sell for used. You can find their 555 or 5500, 200x2, for under $500.00. I still have an Adcom system but using a 5500 now with a gtp-450.
    I agree. Used Adcom are huge value. Of course it helps that there are plenty of Adcom on the used market.

I have owned a couple of Adcoms.
    1. A GFA-555II stereo amp; this amp eats any NAD for breakfest, such as the C270 which I've also owned, (but possibly excepting the new Master series). I paid $300 for mine although a more typical used price would be $400-450 and worth every cent.
    2. A GFP-750 active/passive preamp that go for $700-750 but beats any NAD pre in sound quality and flexibility except that it is line stage only.
    I have never auditioned Rotel equipment at any length so I can't make a direct comparision.
    Last edited by Feanor; 08-26-2009 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley
    Mr Peabody & 02audionoob,
    Thanks for your help. I was thinking about the GFA-7607 as well, but I didn't know if they would work well with my B&W 684's. That's why I was toying with a Rotel. Thanks again for your help.

BTW, here's a couple of reviews that describe the GTP-880 (predecessor of the GTP-870HD) and the GFA-7607.

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/surroun...sors/704adcom/

http://www.hometheatermag.com/preamp...sors/304adcom/

Best Regards,
    Stan

I have a Adcom amp 5400 @ 2X125 and a Rotel amp RB1080 @ 2X200 and they both would do a wonderful job for what you want. I give a slight edge to the Rotel . I do use the Adcom in my hometheater driving the front speakers

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    What are you thinking might be better about the Rotel? In general, if I were choosing head to head, I'd choose Adcom.
    I was thinking that since B&W makes Rotel, that that would be the best match for my B&W 684's? Anyways, I appreciate everyone's comments. I'm looking for a used ADCOM or maybe a good deal on a new one.

Best Regards,
    Stan

Do you have a budget in mind?

Do you have a budget in mind?
    That's a good question. I think the answer boils down to value. There is a lot of ADCOM power amps for sale on Ebay, but they are older ones and most are two channel. While new ones are not significantly more. For example, for a 7-Channel 125W GFA-7607 I can get one for::

--> Refurbusihed (with shipping) for $890 and a 2 year warranty.
    --> New (With shipping) for $1,099.08 and a five year warranty.

On ebay, they seem to have mainly 2 (with some 3 channel used Adcoms). Then on Audiogon, they have one 5 channel, but it goes for $495 plus shipping. So, it makes more sense to buy the refurbished 7-channel (so I could power my entire home theater).

I would never have gone the separate route, but I just lucked on to a GTP-870HD from UBID (with 5 year warranty--confirmed by ADCOM) for $299. My jaw dropped when I saw it. This is the second amazing deal that I've gotten off of ubid. I've gotten some good deals of of CL, but UBID is really been great for me.

Best Regards,
    Stan

Audiogon prices on the Adcom gear has varied quite a bit in the time I've watched it. I've seen prices that vary by 50% on the same item. If I were in your place and could swing the new or refurb price, that does sound like a better plan than the used prices you're seeing for some items.

If I were on a very tight budget I'd go for the GFA-6000, which is a 5-channel amp. That's why I asked about budget. If I had a thousand bucks to spend and could get the amplification handled for $250, I'd spend the remainder elsewhere.

Audiogon prices on the Adcom gear has varied quite a bit in the time I've watched it. I've seen prices that vary by 50% on the same item. If I were in your place and could swing the new or refurb price, that does sound like a better plan than the used prices you're seeing for some items.

If I were on a very tight budget I'd go for the GFA-6000, which is a 5-channel amp. That's why I asked about budget. If I had a thousand bucks to spend and could get the amplification handled for $250, I'd spend the remainder elsewhere.

So we both can't sleep tonight, hugh ;-)

Thats some good sound advice. I'll take my time and see what comes up. The GFA-6000 does sound interesting though. I guess I could use one of the 100W channels for the back speaker (since I don't have a center).

I'll check things out and tell you what I find. I appreciate your expert advice.

Best Regards,
    Stan

Suspended
    I think you will be glad you lucked onto separates when all is set. You should try to add a center speaker next.

I was thinking that since B&W makes Rotel, that that would be the best match for my B&W 684's? Anyways, I appreciate everyone's comments. I'm looking for a used ADCOM or maybe a good deal on a new one.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    While many people seem to think B&W and Rotel have good synergy, there are other and perhaps better speakers that sound just as good if not better than a B&W and Rotel combo. Rotel is not owned by B&W...they are only distributed by the same company. B&W did purchase the Canadian company that makes high end gear called Classe, but they do not make the gear. They only purchased it a few years back while leaving the company as it where.

I have worked with both the Adcom and Rotel brands and in my opinion the Adcom Amps are better overall if you compare units of the same power to each other. I own an Adcom amp and love it and have compared it to some other brands out there that are quite a bit more expensive and the Adcom allways held its own especially for the price. Now I used to sell Bowers and Wilkins speakers but it was years ago before that version of the 600 series speakers came out but the first generation 600 series that I sold sounded very good with Adcom equipment. But the first gen 600 series seems to have little in common with todays 600 series so without working with the newest 600 series I could not say for sure what the best amp for your speaker would be. But a multichannel Adcom if could be found for a good price would probably be something to look at closely.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

It was three days since I won the ubid auction, so I called them up and asked: where is my pre-amp. They told me: "Sorry we made a mistake. Here's a $30 credit to compensate you. So, I've lost the GTP-870hd and am looking back into used. Such is life....

But, I appreciate you all's pointer on Adcom, I'll continue to look into them.

Best Regards,
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    I have worked with both the Adcom and Rotel brands and in my opinion the Adcom Amps are better overall if you compare units of the same power to each other. I own an Adcom amp and love it and have compared it to some other brands out there that are quite a bit more expensive and the Adcom allways held its own especially for the price. Now I used to sell Bowers and Wilkins speakers but it was years ago before that version of the 600 series speakers came out but the first generation 600 series that I sold sounded very good with Adcom equipment. But the first gen 600 series seems to have little in common with todays 600 series so without working with the newest 600 series I could not say for sure what the best amp for your speaker would be. But a multichannel Adcom if could be found for a good price would probably be something to look at closely.

Well I happen to own both now and differ with you. I happen to believe the Rotel is more balanced while the Adcom is a little heavy in the bottom end. The Rotel gives a smoother presentation from top to bottom... But they both are not bad budget amps.... its all subjective.

It was three days since I won the ubid auction, so I called them up and asked: where is my pre-amp. They told me: "Sorry we made a mistake. Here's a $30 credit to compensate you. So, I've lost the GTP-870hd and am looking back into used. Such is life....

But, I appreciate you all's pointer on Adcom, I'll continue to look into them.

Best Regards,
    Stan

Thats just not right!!!! Something sounds fishy...So you win a low bid, but they dont like that you are the highest bidder so they just take it back? I smell a rat!

Do you think you could hop on this?

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ulti-channel-p

Suspended
    That's a bummer. You might want to consider looking at www.emotiva.com I'm not sure what their processor sells for but they are known for providing decent quality gear for a decent price. Several of the guys here have their power amps and say they are beasts. One guy whose opinion I respect prefers the Emotiva stereo amp to either of his Adcom or Rotel. I hate to give them a sell job without any experience first hand with it but I also hate to see some one done dirty like that too. Emo gives a 30 day trial and it may be a way to get into separates without a 2nd mortgage.

I definitely thought my 5400 had a bass hump but that's why I bought it for use in my 2nd system where I'd be playing mostly Rock & Pop for working out. The hump just gave it a full sound though it wasn't bloated or lacking definition. My 5500 is better balanced but still has a much stronger bottom end than I've ever heard from Rotel. To me Rotel is too laid back but if you don't notice that yourself the sound is pleasant. I think for home theater the more powerful sound of Adcom may be better. As Frenchmon says though, it's all subjective. Sometimes we are willing to overlook some weakness in one area to allow us to enjoy something we prefer in another area.

When I worked Adcom and Rotel I seemed to like the 500 mk2 series better than the 5000 series Adcoms for overall balance of sound. The 545 through 565 had their different sound characters just like any amp out there but to me they were built better than the 5000 series and We used to open these amps up all the time when the reps were there to see exactly what we were selling. Our Rotel and Adcom amps amongst others let us look inside their products and from time to time we would set our amps up without the top plate on them to let our customers see exactly what makes these amps better in comparison to receivers and int. amps. You are right it is all subjective just like some people will like a certain speaker while the next will think it is to bright or to laid back for them. I guess its just up to the person and the ears that god gave ya.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

I will say the Adcom 5800 amp was one of the 5000 series amps that I felt was the exception to what I said. I powered very difficult to drive loads with that amp and it allways sat there and smilled at me and just poured out great clean and balanced sound to any speaker system it powered. I did fall in love with that amp I just did not need that big of an amp for my system at that time so I did not get one for myself but I did sell quite a few of them and never had one complaint, only praise.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I love adcom amps and there styles, owned a few now and then. More to try too.
    eagle eye audio

A little anecdote...I went over to a craigslist seller's house to audition his speakers and he let me bring my own amp. When I got there I saw he had a Rotel amp...don't know which model...it was what he had been using to run the speakers I was considering. He hooked up my Adcom and we listened to various CDs of his and mine and guess what...he seemed to like my Adcom better than his Rotel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information