Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mid-Fi

Anybody tried Emotiva ?

I want to buy a 5-channel amp under $500 for HT. I plan to get used a 100w x5 Rotel, Carver or B&K. But today I see this

http://www.emotiva.com/expandedpages/lpa1expanded.html

63 pounds weight and looks 10 times better than old Rotels and BKs.The price is amazing? Question is who know how it sounds?

There are only a few reviews online for it and it seems to be a positive thing, but then again it's $500, so you can't have huge expectations.

Forum Regular
    From what I understand, Emotiva puts out a great product.

I have only heard good things about their amps. Their last processor seems to have had some bugs in it, but the amps get great reviews.

Haven't heard one myself. Sorry.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

There's a review at AH which touched on the LPA-1 and a dedicated thread over at AVS. If you end up giving this amp a try, let us know what you think. I believe they have a 30 day return policy.

I am kinda curious myself, this might be a route I consider for my HT-only setup since the price is right!

I'll be watching.

Does anyone know anything about this Parasound - HCA-2205A - 5-Channel Amplifier that Audio Adviser is selling at 999? Seems like a killer deal, even for a B demo unit. Does this thing have a bad rep?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I'll be watching.

Does anyone know anything about this Parasound - HCA-2205A - 5-Channel Amplifier that Audio Adviser is selling at 999? Seems like a killer deal, even for a B demo unit. Does this thing have a bad rep?
    $999! Has it been dropped a couple of times? GM, what's your next upgrade, speakers to finish off your HT or a nice amp?

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    $999! Has it been dropped a couple of times? GM, what's your next upgrade, speakers to finish off your HT or a nice amp?
    I would like it to be the matching speakers, but they are not in production yet.
    An amp is high on my list but haven't decided on one yet. That Parasound is very hard to resist. The force is tugging at me.
    I just got in my sound meter and test CD. The BFD is looking like it will be next. I have a few peaks to take care of.
    Acoustic panels may be around the corner also. To buy them can cost as much as my whole system, and wifey has banned me from building anything new. The last time I built a set of speakers out of MDF it left a heavy coating of dust on everything in the garage. I told her that I wouldn't used MDF this time but you know how women can be when their cars are covered in yuck.
    Buttkickers look like fun also. They have an LFE kit that's under $400 and goes down to 5 htz at over 1000 watts. Still, with that Titanic, I'm not sure how much this is needed at this point. So the BFD looks like the winner right now.

Sorry to have jacked this thread. Amps, lets talk amps!

Get it !!!

That is a steal for that amp, which was once around 2.5k. Plus, it's a John Curl circuitry design and you can't beat getting a 5-channel amp of that caliber for that price!

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    That is a steal for that amp, which was once around 2.5k. Plus, it's a John Curl circuitry design and you can't beat getting a 5-channel amp of that caliber for that price!
    It seems lke a fantastic deal. But there's this little voice in my head that keeps saying that, "if it sounds too good to be true, then it probbably isn't."

It seems lke a fantastic deal. But there's this little voice in my head that keeps saying that, "if it sounds too good to be true, then it probbably isn't."
    What kind of return policy do they carry on their b-stock items?

30 days.
    Continuous power output: 220 watts RMS x 5 (20 Hz-20 kHz, 8 ohms), 300 watts RMS x 5 (20 Hz-20 kHz, 4 ohms)
    Current capacity: 60 amps peak per channel
    Slew Rate: >130 V / msecond
    FR: 5 Hz-100 kHz, +0/-3 dB at 1 watt
    THD: <0.03% at full power, <0.01% typical levels
    S/N Ratio: >96 dB, THX Reference Level
    IM distortion: <0.03%
    TIM: Unmeasureable
    Dynamic headroom: >1.5 dB
    Interchannel crosstalk: >80 dB at 1 kHz, >60 dB at 20 kHz
    Input Impedance: 33 K ohms
    Input sensitivity: 1 V for 28.28 V, THX Reference Level 1.5 V for full output
    Damping factor: >1000 at 20 Hz
    Power consumption: 1500 watts
    Dimensions: 19" wide, 7" high (7-5/8" high with feet), and 18" deep

It's a nice looking unit too. http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...ber=1PAHCA2205

30 days.
    Continuous power output: 220 watts RMS x 5 (20 Hz-20 kHz, 8 ohms), 300 watts RMS x 5 (20 Hz-20 kHz, 4 ohms)
    Current capacity: 60 amps peak per channel
    Slew Rate: >130 V / msecond
    FR: 5 Hz-100 kHz, +0/-3 dB at 1 watt
    THD: <0.03% at full power, <0.01% typical levels
    S/N Ratio: >96 dB, THX Reference Level
    IM distortion: <0.03%
    TIM: Unmeasureable
    Dynamic headroom: >1.5 dB
    Interchannel crosstalk: >80 dB at 1 kHz, >60 dB at 20 kHz
    Input Impedance: 33 K ohms
    Input sensitivity: 1 V for 28.28 V, THX Reference Level 1.5 V for full output
    Damping factor: >1000 at 20 Hz
    Power consumption: 1500 watts
    Dimensions: 19" wide, 7" high (7-5/8" high with feet), and 18" deep

It's a nice looking unit too. http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...ber=1PAHCA2205
    It's also a heavy mother too! I think it's around 85lbs.

Yeah, that amp has tons of solid reviews for it and I tested it out once at a local Hifi place...they were driving Definitive speakers with it. Very awesome amp, heavy as all get out! I think John Curl uses depleted uranium in his design...lol.

It looks like a beast and is just what I have been looking for. But I just spent a good chunk of change on my speakers. It's not fair to wifey if I make another large purchase so soon.

It looks like a beast and is just what I have been looking for. But I just spent a good chunk of change on my speakers. It's not fair to wifey if I make another large purchase so soon.
    Chicken

Chicken
    Don't squawk at me till you pull the trigger on those Mini's.

Buy her a purse and matching shoes and you are IN like FLINT!

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Buy her a purse and matching shoes and you are IN like FLINT!
    She wants us to take a trip to the Philippines.

Don't squawk at me till you pull the trigger on those Mini's.
    Squawk

Squawk
    Peck peck peck....
    COCK-A-DOODLE-DOOOOOOOOOOOOO....
    er...

I thought about picking the amp up but I just don't have room for it. 85lbs!!!!!!

I wonder if I could put it on top of my Titanic......hmmmmm

nightflier

Is it a...

Quote Originally Posted by minye
    I want to buy a 5-channel amp under $500 for HT. I plan to get used a 100w x5 Rotel, Carver or B&K. But today I see this

http://www.emotiva.com/expandedpages/lpa1expanded.html

63 pounds weight and looks 10 times better than old Rotels and BKs.The price is amazing? Question is who know how it sounds?
    ...digital amp?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information