Suspended

Any knowledge on LINN's Class V technology?

If you've read my post "Up In Smoke" you know that I am currently using a LINN 5125 power amp in my HT system to replace the Arcam I had. I vowed to post on this amp but cannot seem to find much information on what Class V is. I know it's a digital switching power supply and this amp runs very cool with no amp hum or noise. But how does a 11 pound amp deliver 125 wpc into 8 ohms and 230 into 4 ohms? I didn't expect to like this amp as well as I do, I noticed a big difference in sound immediately but after watching a couple of familiar movies I began to realize the dialog was more understandable and the rear sound effects had more realism, as well as an overall improvement in steering of sound effects or audio queues. This was surprising because I didn't think a power amp would make much difference in how effective the sound effects were. I played a couple CDs in PLII/m so the majority of the sound would come through the center channel which is powered by the LINN, my impression was the midrange is very good, the highs were not harsh but did have like a digital brightness to them, this could also be from the preamp as well, the bass was there and you get a physical feel from it but it's still different from my Krell or Arcam. the LINN seems to be much leaner in the midbass area. I hope to be able to hear this LINN amp in a 2 channel configuration. I need to borrow some BFA connectors , that's all the LINN has for speaker connections. I'd like to know how to daisy chain the channels and if this increases power output, I know the amp allows this but that's all that was said.

If anyone has any further knowledge about the 5125 or class V technology I'd appreciate the help.

Everyone has to call switching amps something different, don't they? You've got Class D, Class T, Digital, and now Class V (whatever that means). Can't we just call a spade a spade?!?

As far as I know, there are two basic topologies being used for switching amps; ICEpower and, for lack of a better term, Class T. ICEpower is licensed from a danish firm whose name escapes me and is used by PS Audio, Jeff Rowland, and ARC to name a few. Class T is a Texas Instruments design (IIRC) and is employed by Bel Canto and Spectral. I have no idea which topology Class V is, but under the hood it looks like Class T.

Switching amps are inherently lighter because they don't require the massive heat sinks that Class A or A/B designs do. Remember, while those designs are only 20-35% efficient, a good switching amp is closer to 90%. The inefficiency is burnt off as heat, thus the need for the sinks. I have to admit, I'm not crazy about Linn's decision to not utilize a large transformer like PSA or Bel Canto, but Ivor is no fool and I'm sure he has his reasons.

Hope this helps.

Suspended
    LINN's Class V rather than a big transformer it uses a digital switching power supply. I think the LINN uses the digital technology in a different area than the PS Audio does. I could be wrong because if I knew I wouldn't have to post a question, right?

The amp sounds pretty good. It has great detail and clarity. The bass is good but sounds different than I'm used to. I can't really put into words, it sounds like the bass from my Velodyne sub, it plays low but not very punchy. The highs tend to be more on the bright side of neutral to me but I've only heard this amp with my Primare preamp so I can't say that is an inherent trait of the LINN. It could be the result of the synergy between the two pieces. What impressed me the most about this amp is a noticeable improvement in the clarity of dialog in movies and seemingly more information from my rear speakers, For instance, in Star Wars Episode 2 where the Jedi kill the assassin after the big chase scene I could understand more clearly what the assassin tells the Jedi before it is killed. But on the other hand when watching Pearl Harbor I could tell the LINN didn't have the same impact from the center channel as the Arcam did during the bombing scene. So I guess both designs have their strengths and weaknesses. Even with the difference I like this LINN amp.

I'm still waiting to see what Arcam estimates the repair will cost.

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Switching amps are inherently lighter because they don't require the massive heat sinks that Class A or A/B designs do. Remember, while those designs are only 20-35% efficient, a good switching amp is closer to 90%. The inefficiency is burnt off as heat, thus the need for the sinks. I have to admit, I'm not crazy about Linn's decision to not utilize a large transformer like PSA or Bel Canto, but Ivor is no fool and I'm sure he has his reasons.

Hope this helps.
    A point to note is that Linn has successfully used the switching power supply in traditional analog amplifiers such as the Linn Klimax with great success, so it is arguable that a traditional power supply has any much advantage over switching supply when the specific design is rightly matched.

Point taken, TAH. Paul at PSA has admitted in the past that there is no scientific reason that a huge power supply should make a difference, he just feels it does and has incorporated that thinking into every product they've made since their inception in the late '70's. My old passive PSA 4.6 pre-amp had a massive out-board power supply as an example.

Mr. P,
    I think the reason that the midband is so clear is because most switching amps have really black backgrounds, therefore the contrast my come through as better clarity. As their name implies, switching amps are either on or off, there is not trickling in between. Less background noise equals better definition. I guessing here, but it would seem logical.

Thread Information