• 03-17-2006, 07:40 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Any experience with Audio Refinement amps?
    Right now I'm using an Arcam 3 channel amp on my main & center speakers and an Adcom on the rears. I'm thinking of getting a 5 channel amp because one, the coherency was amazing when putting 3 matching channels of amplification along the front and two, I can save space. This brings me to my question. Spearitsound is bringing the last of Audio Plus's AR stock and will probably be offering some good deals on it. However, I'm not familiar with the line and I don't want to lose fidelity. Arcam FMJ will be hard to match without laying out some money which I'd like to avoid.
  • 04-04-2006, 03:25 PM
    MikeyBC
    All I know about them is they are designed by Yves-Bernard André's company (YBA), and they care a lot about sound and build quality.
  • 04-15-2006, 01:43 AM
    RGA
    Personally I think the COmplete sounds musically better than anything I have heard or owned from Arcam -- but this ain't just for music and I have no way to tell you if their 5 channel unit would be any good or not. The AR Complete is basically a YBA Integre (not the integre DT (Double Transformer).

The Complete is not free of complaints either -- it is a little lightweight in the bass department if partnered with heavier loads but for 1k US is fantastic. I have heard good things about their surround sound units but they are also out of date if that matters to you.

Personally I would find a good processor and then buy several USED power amps - even ones from Arcam -- 3 Delta 290 power amps could probably be had for $750 total if you look(The delta 290 integrated can also be converted to a 290P so these should be easy to find on Ebay etc for very low prices) The 290P was about $1kUS new. This would give you 6 channels. Then and then just buy a really nice surround sound preamp.

Of course if you're trying to do all this via trade ins then be sure the YBA will do what you want -- and that you have some sort of return policy - say 7 days before they are allowed to sell your trade-ins.
  • 04-15-2006, 06:55 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Hey RGA, I've been missing you around here, I thought you gave up on this place.

If you think it's better than Arcam that's some praise. I would be surprised if it had as much detail and nearly as fast.