Anthem Statement D2?

Printable View

• 11-27-2005, 03:02 PM
    brickyardz
    Anthem Statement D2?
    Does anyone have an idea when the Anthem Statement D2 will be coming out? I was just about to go out and purchase the d1 along with the p5 mp,but if the D2 is coming out right around the corner,I am going to wait.Thanks for the ino
  • 12-01-2005, 03:25 PM
    lxpat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brickyardz
    Does anyone have an idea when the Anthem Statement D2 will be coming out? I was just about to go out and purchase the d1 along with the p5 mp,but if the D2 is coming out right around the corner,I am going to wait.Thanks for the ino

I spoke to Frank at Anthem and his best estimate is that the D2 will be available by Dec 25th... but this date is still tentative. Apparently they are trying their best to have it in showrooms by X-mas. I currently own a statement D1 and I specifically asked what the primary differences between the D1 and D2 will be upon release. The audio processing will not be any different (assuming the D1 has been upgraded to the latest firmware release). However, as many news releases have already stated, the D2 will incorporate HD video processing (via s-video, component, and HDMI inputs) and will utilize the Gennum GF9350 VXP image processor and will upconvert/scale any SD or HD signal to 1080p as well as allow the user to view the setup menu/on screen display when watching source material at 1080p. The Statement D1 currently allows HD video switching (via component input/output), but does not do any video processing (and will not display the setup screen when using the component video outputs which forces the user to utilize the composite or s-video outputs for on-screen setup/monitoring and is not ideal when watching HD source material).

I also specifically asked about the ability to "upgrade" the D1 to the features of the D2 which I am keen to do. This will involve shipping your D1 to the Anthem factory for an extensive overhaul and they will replace the rear panel to accommodate HDMI inputs and output as well as a rearrangement of the location of some of the existing connections on the D1. See http://www.shows.soundstagelive.com/...oppers_2.shtml for panel images of the D2. The factory overhaul/upgrade of the D1 to D2 will apparently take up to three weeks and cost roughly the equivalent in price difference between the MSRP of the D1 vs the D2. Eg. the D1 MSRP is $5000 vs the expected D2 MSRP of $6500. So per my conversation with Frank at Anthem, I am expecting to pay $1500 to convert my D1 to D2 status. I also specifically asked if there was going to be any other material difference between my "upgraded" D1 vs the newly released D2. He was confident that all of the audio/video processing features would be the exact same and the only difference might be the labeling on the front panel of the D1 upgrade vs the D2. So my understanding is that the D1 post upgrade will be exactly the same as the D2 after the overhaul and firmware updates have been applied.

So it seems like you can't go wrong by buying the D1 now assuming you can patiently wait 3 weeks for it to be upgraded to D2 status. That being said, assuming the D2 is actually available in your local showroom by Dec 25th, it will be the same waiting period regardless of what route you take. E.g. it will take a minimum of three weeks to get your D2 features up and running with your AV system. Like I have mentioned, I am a happy owner of the D1 and highly recommend this pre-pro to those who are looking for a superb a/v component for a reasonable price. Furthermore, given the projected cost of upgrading this unit with stellar HD video processing capability for $1500, I really can't see how you could go wrong in buying the D1 today and enjoy it until Anthem finally releases the newer D2. Who knows, you might even find a bargin for the D1 given the anticipated release of the D2 and the $1500 upgrade will be a stellar deal when it becomes available (not to mention you would most likely have to pay much more than this to buy a standalone video processor using the Gennum GF9350 VXP technology).