Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar

Anthem 225 Integrated Initial Impressions

I picked up the Anthem on Friday night and spent that night listening to some of my audition material on the Jolida. On Saturday morning, I began the task of taking the Jolida out and putting the Anthem into the mix. Neither of these amps are light by the way. I got the Anthem about 3/4's of the way onto the shelf and with mirror and flashlight got all the connections hooked up.

First up I played Beethoven's Symphony No. 7 from HD Tracks. This is a new addition to my audition music in the last couple months. I noticed right away that the music had more body and presence. What really floored me in the 4th movement was a part where the orchestra is building to a very moving part of the piece and a strong bass line comes in from the right speaker that I always thought was from the horn section and now I hear it and it's actually the kettle drums. Ummmm.

Next up some female vocals. I choose some Shirley Horn from her "You Won't Forget Me" CD. Shirley's voice was its usual mellow self, maybe not as warm as through the Jolida, but her piano was definitely on the same part of the stage as she was. That was not the case with the Jolida as her piano always sounded farther back in the soundstage.

Next I was back to Beethoven for his Piano Concerto No. 4. The 3rd movement is always one of my favorites. I played my two of my favorites. First was Jiri Belohlavek conducting the BBC Symphony Orchestra with Paul Lewis at the piano and the second is Christoph Eschenbach conducting the Orchestre De Paris with Lang Lang at the piano. Both different renditions of the same piece and both had a greater command of my listening space as the piano seemed to almost take over the room.

I'm just starting to get into some sax pieces and clarinet. Trumpet should be interesting as I find it can be blaring sometimes, depending on the equipment.

When I listened to Renaissance for instance I preferred the Jolida's presentation. Some of the piano came across as harsh. Like John was banging on the keys rather then just playing them.

Lots more to listen to, but so far it's been quite eye (or ear )opening.
    Last edited by Jack in Wilmington; 10-17-2011 at 07:49 AM.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Suspended
    Congrats on the new unit.

Couple things to consider...breakin time and powered on time. If you leave the SS unit on for several days, the caps will be fully charged as opposed to turning the unit on and immediately testing the sound.

It also may not match well with the Danes. How does it sound with Ushers as Mains?

Also, you are now comparing Tubes to SS and there are differences and personal preferences.

What album are you using for the Renaissance Piano notes? Most of those older albums were not recorded all that great. I'd love to hook you up with some of Annies solo works if you don't have them. Your other post prompted me to play One Enchanted Evening, which is a live recording of just Annie and Rave on Piano in a church in Upper Black Eddy PA from 2003. Mostly older classics from Annie's childhood. Many spots on that disk had the hair on my arms standing as well as feeling all the emotion of her vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    Congrats on the new unit.

Couple things to consider...breakin time and powered on time. If you leave the SS unit on for several days, the caps will be fully charged as opposed to turning the unit on and immediately testing the sound.

It also may not match well with the Danes. How does it sound with Ushers as Mains?

Also, you are now comparing Tubes to SS and there are differences and personal preferences.

What album are you using for the Renaissance Piano notes? Most of those older albums were not recorded all that great. I'd love to hook you up with some of Annies solo works if you don't have them. Your other post prompted me to play One Enchanted Evening, which is a live recording of just Annie and Rave on Piano in a church in Upper Black Eddy PA from 2003. Mostly older classics from Annie's childhood. Many spots on that disk had the hair on my arms standing as well as feeling all the emotion of her vocals.
    Thanks for the heads-up on the break in time. I can also see the personal preferences being an issue. I have a feeling there is going to be two sections of my music collection, "for SS" and "for Tubes".

The Renaissance tracks were from Prologue and Tales of 1001 Nights. I'll have to check and see about the solo Annie works. She's had the hair on the back of my neck standing up a few times.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Congrats Jack! Sounds like you are having a little bit of fun over there! And man....I sure love some Shirley Horn. Once again congrats.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Congrats Jack! Sounds like you are having a little bit of fun over there! And man....I sure love some Shirley Horn. Once again congrats.
    It was a nice change in the afternoon. I had been outside cutting some branches off some trees and after listening to my chain saw for about a half hour she sure sounded sweet. Along with a nice glass of Merlot and waiting for the wife to finish dinner it was just about perfect. Beautiful fall day around 65 degrees. It was a shame to come inside, but Shirley would not sound as good on my outdoor speakers.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Suspended
    1001 Nights leaves a bit to be desired as far as recording sound quality but the music is great. I wish you could audition the Krell before settling. On good recordings the kettle drum has an unforgetable wallop to it. You should be noticing quite a difference in bass detail and control with the Anthem, if not you should shop a bit more. The 1.8's need some current to control them, they are capable of impressive transient responses.

Suspended
    1001 Nights leaves a bit to be desired as far as recording sound quality but the music is great. I wish you could audition the Krell before settling. On good recordings the kettle drum has an unforgetable wallop to it. You should be noticing quite a difference in bass detail and control with the Anthem, if not you should shop a bit more. The 1.8's need some current to control them, they are capable of impressive transient responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    It was a nice change in the afternoon. I had been outside cutting some branches off some trees and after listening to my chain saw for about a half hour she sure sounded sweet. Along with a nice glass of Merlot and waiting for the wife to finish dinner it was just about perfect. Beautiful fall day around 65 degrees. It was a shame to come inside, but Shirley would not sound as good on my outdoor speakers.
    Hi Jack!

I love Shirley Horns voice. In her old age she does not hold her notes like she use too, and her voice is not as warm as it once was, but just the same in her old age before she passed, she could still sing and play and her higher notes still have a little mid range warmth. She had a very slow delivery when she sang and her phrasing of words where unusual but she had a strong following. She was discovered by Miles Davis back in the day, and went on to have large success as a Jazz singer, as well as dabbling in classical. She was loved for her slow ballads and her piano playing.

Check her out in this youtube clip singing in her older age doing this nice tune written by Bruno Martino , but made popular by the close friend of Antonio Carlos Jobim and Stan Getz...João Gilberto

Mrs Shirely Horn died in 2005...she was 71.

Shirley Horn Trio, in "Estate", Live Concert, Bern Jazz Festival, 1990. - YouTube

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Thanks Mr P. for stopping by, it's good to hear from you. Congrats by the way on your new speakers. The Renaissance was a mix up as I meant to grab Scheherazade. I have the German import of that recording and it sounds wonderful. After 1001 started playing I thought oh well lets see what it sounds like. Then I got into an article in Stereophile and got lazy.

The bass is amazing. I haven't heard anything like this in any set of speakers I've owned. I find myself listening to a CD and then switching to my Usher setup which has the subwoofer to compare bass lines. I had Weather Report on today and Jaco's bass work had me mezmerized. Then I put on a Charlie Christian recording from the 40's with Benny Goodman on clarinet and Lional Hampton on vibes, gave me goosebumps.

If the Krell is better than this, I'd sure like to hear it. I heard the 400, but only for a short time and at very low volume. I'm surprized you let your Krell go, but I know you love the CJ and it sounds like you've found a great match for it.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Yeah I would have liked to hear the Krell 400 on Dynaudio's as well but it sounds like you are getting some good result with SS running your Dyn's even though the tube stuff gives you things as well. Tubes obviously are for the emotional music that brings out the midrange and dynamic full spectrum music is where SS takes over with its dynamic control and with good SS good imaging and Sound staging as well. I think the krell would be something to hear with your setup and mine for that matter but I have been looking at the Class D audio amps for their price and performance and the fact I can make them look like I want them to. Its something to consider with their price.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    I have been looking at the Class D audio amps for their price and performance and the fact I can make them look like I want them to. Its something to consider with their price.
    I've also been looking at the Class D Audio SDS amps... They might be a good compromise between tube and SS sound... and might well give Jack a best of both worlds result OR just a different take on the sonic presentation.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Mr Peabody, we are all (or at least me anyway) eagerly awaiting your impressions of your new speakers... I don't think you want us all at your front door with pitchforks and torches demanding that you give your opinion...

Suspended
    I may have my issue with AR some what fixed so I hope to be around more. If I am running alright I will start a thread on my speakers.

I would have liked to hung on to my Krell but things have to go so we can get other things

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
    I've also been looking at the Class D Audio SDS amps... They might be a good compromise between tube and SS sound... and might well give Jack a best of both worlds result OR just a different take on the sonic presentation.
    I've been following your class D amp post with interest as I have little knowledge of these. Is there somewhere I can find a listing of all the class D amps that are available on the market?
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Ajani
    I've been following your class D amp post with interest as I have little knowledge of these. Is there somewhere I can find a listing of all the class D amps that are available on the market?
    Not that I'm aware of, but some of the more popular Class D manufacturers are:

Bel Canto
    Nuforce
    Jeff Rowland
    Rotel
    Wyred4Sound
    Channel Islands Audio
    PS Audio also used to make Class D amps.

I think these are the amps that everyone is speaking about:

Class D Audio Home page

(If I'm wrong, I apologize for correcting you Ajani)
    -------------------------
    Quad CDP-2
    Quad 99 Pre
    Quad 909 Amp
    Quad 21L Mains
    Quad L 2 Sub (used on occasion for 2.1)
    JW Audio Cryo Nova, Nebula and Jumpers

Bel Canto
    Nuforce
    Jeff Rowland
    Rotel
    Wyred4Sound
    Channel Islands Audio
    Nice list; here are a few more:

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by salad 419 View Post
    I think these are the amps that everyone is speaking about:

Class D Audio Home page

(If I'm wrong, I apologize for correcting you Ajani)

No need for any apologies. I assumed he already knew about the Class D Audio amps and was asking about other options. But yes, the Class D Audio amps are the ones we were all talking about...

Bel Canto
    Nuforce
    Jeff Rowland
    Rotel
    Wyred4Sound
    Channel Islands Audio
    I've heard the entire Bel Canto system including the class D mono amps. Great gear! That Bel Canto phono preamp looks interesting...but the pricing is another story.

Anthem seems to have a winner in the 225. Quite a few people online really sing it's praises. All the SS benefits, tons of control, but with a very natural sound. Would love to hear one in my system one day. To date I've run only moderately powered integrateds (60-75 watts). Not sure what 225 watts griping my speakers sounds like.
    Naim Nait 5i
    Naim CD5X
    Wharfedale Evo2-10
    Linn LP12
    Cambridge Audio 650P, and 550T
    LFD and Nordost cables

I'm really liking the Anthem. Last night I was in a Santana mood and the percussion just blew me away. The end of Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen was unbelievable.

Then I went in to check my E-mails and I got an offer on the Jolida. I had gotten five previous offers, but this one looked good. Did a little checking and accepted the offer. I'm shipping it out today.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Suspended
    I'm really liking the Anthem. Last night I was in a Santana mood and the percussion just blew me away. The end of Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen was unbelievable.

Then I went in to check my E-mails and I got an offer on the Jolida. I had gotten five previous offers, but this one looked good. Did a little checking and accepted the offer. I'm shipping it out today.
    Sounds like we both got lucky on the same day.

Wow! Congrats Jack! And you too Hyfi!

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Wow! Congrats Jack! And you too Hyfi!
    Thanks Frenchie, How is your search going for a phono pre?
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

You are tempting me! Drums are something I love listening to. I don't find them lacking in my current setup, but maybe the 225 would change my mind. One day I will give it a go...there's a used one for $1,000 in my area but unfortunately I don't have the funds to make it happen right now.
    Naim Nait 5i
    Naim CD5X
    Wharfedale Evo2-10
    Linn LP12
    Cambridge Audio 650P, and 550T
    LFD and Nordost cables

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information