• 04-09-2011, 09:50 AM
    paddler
    Another pre-amp rec thread
    thanks in advance

2 channel system w/Jolida 502 and Klipsch Forte speakers, old technics TT w/ Denon DL-160 cartridge. Currently using a Onkyo Integra P3030 pre-amp but thinking about a change. Previous recs had me looking for a Black Cube phono pre-amp but not sure I want to give up tone controls due to varying album mixes. Also, thinking a tube unit might be good. Trying to stay in budget of used Black Cubes so around $400..Any suggestions?
  • 04-09-2011, 02:19 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I've seen some older non-remote Conrad Johnson in the $450.00 range on Audiogon, like the PV10. Have you seen what used Jolida are available in your budget, same brand usually gets you good synergy. You might also see if any used Vincent Audio are in your range.

I would try to go tubes seeing your amp is tube.
  • 04-09-2011, 06:34 PM
    TheHills44060
    Ooooo like your system paddler. I would recommend an Audio Electronics AE-3 tube preamp. It would fit in perfect with the Jolida and fit your budget
  • 04-09-2011, 07:41 PM
    02audionoob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paddler
    thanks in advance

2 channel system w/Jolida 502 and Klipsch Forte speakers, old technics TT w/ Denon DL-160 cartridge. Currently using a Onkyo Integra P3030 pre-amp but thinking about a change. Previous recs had me looking for a Black Cube phono pre-amp but not sure I want to give up tone controls due to varying album mixes. Also, thinking a tube unit might be good. Trying to stay in budget of used Black Cubes so around $400..Any suggestions?

It sounds to me like you're thinking the Black Cube would replace your preamp. It's only the phono stage. The phono preamp is not where you would have tone controls.
  • 04-10-2011, 05:22 AM
    Poultrygeist
    For the price I doubt you can find anything better than this Yaqin. You should forget tone controls as they dilute the signal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yaqin-MS-12B-HiF...item20b6ff5c3e
  • 04-10-2011, 02:47 PM
    JoeE SP9
    I agree with poultrygeist about tone controls.

Could it be that there are varying album mixes because they are supposed to sound that way? All recordings should not have the same balance between lows highs and mids. They shouldn't sound the same because they were recorded, mixed and mastered by different people in different places with different equipment.
  • 04-19-2011, 12:15 PM
    paddler
    Bryston .5B preamp vs the above recommended Yaqin?

and about the tone control thing, what will i do with my hand?
  • 04-19-2011, 04:25 PM
    Mr Peabody
    The Bryston should provide great detail and excellent bass control. However, your system will be backward compared to the direction most people go. With the Bryston you'd have solid state preamp driving a tube power amp, most use solid state power for better low end resolution and control while using tubes on top for their better midrange and presence. I know nothing of Yaqin, but if it was me I'd go with pre & power tubed. I also wonder about impedance matching with using solid state preamp to tube power. Have you looked into Jolida for a tube preamp?
  • 04-19-2011, 07:24 PM
    paddler
    yes, been thinking tube pre-amp, considering the Jolida JD9 and then saw good recs on the Yaqin 12B. Saw the bryston for sale and read some glowing reviews, wondered if it was a killer. Thinking i'll hold out. Too many choices out there! .
  • 04-19-2011, 07:27 PM
    02audionoob
    Are you looking for a full-function preamp or a phono preamp? The Jolida JD9 is only phono.
  • 04-20-2011, 03:35 AM
    paddler
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Are you looking for a full-function preamp or a phono preamp? The Jolida JD9 is only phono.

a phono preamp is the real need
  • 04-20-2011, 07:47 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I haven't used a big variety of phono preamps but I was very impressed by the Creek and they aren't expensive comparatively.

Is your Jolida a power amp or integrated amp. I know they have a 502 power and assumed that is what you had since asking about preamps but I've since learned they also have an integrated using the same number.

Referring back to my comments on tube or solid state, that only goes for preamp and power amp matching. With a phono stage I feel it's not a big deal to have either tube or solid state as long as it's a good unit.
  • 04-21-2011, 05:51 AM
    paddler
    its an integrated amp but has no phono section or tone control. looking to maximize the phone section. starting to lean toward the tubed Jolida JD-9 for hopeful synergy
  • 04-21-2011, 07:36 PM
    Mr Peabody
    LOL, boy that makes me feel like the guy who caught the ball and ran the wrong direction. Good thing the Noobster reeled us in.