Forum Regular

Another newbie seeking advice

Only found this forum recently and reading your posts (and debate) - extremely useful for beginners such as myself!!!

Im currently looking to upgrade the source for my stereo system. A local dealer lended me a DAC that has a pre-amp in it. Just for my understanding:

1) connecting the DAC to the current integrated amp (using RCA interconnects), am I using both pre-amps in the DAC and integrated amp? believe both dont have by-pass function.

2) if yes, does this complicate things, as signals are going through more circuits, and thus degrade the sound?

3) Can someone pls explain what exactly the pre-amp and power amp do to the sound signals respectively? I sort of understand the both are to "amplify" the signals.

Thanks.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

DAC's both decode, and amplify the signal

Quote Originally Posted by Vincin
    Only found this forum recently and reading your posts (and debate) - extremely useful for beginners such as myself!!!

Im currently looking to upgrade the source for my stereo system. A local dealer lended me a DAC that has a pre-amp in it. Just for my understanding:

1) connecting the DAC to the current integrated amp (using RCA interconnects), am I using both pre-amps in the DAC and integrated amp? believe both dont have by-pass function.

2) if yes, does this complicate things, as signals are going through more circuits, and thus degrade the sound?

3) Can someone pls explain what exactly the pre-amp and power amp do to the sound signals respectively? I sort of understand the both are to "amplify" the signals.

Thanks.
    To provide a "line level" output. The CD standard output is 2v. The DAC you have might also have a volume control, so it can be used as a stand alone unit you can plug directly into an amplifier. Amplifiers need a pre-amp to control the volume and do the switching between inputs. Your intergrated amp has both function in one box. Your DAC, if it has a volume control, can be either plugged directly into an amp or a pre-amp. If you plug it into a pre-amp section of your intergrated amp then you should turn the volume on the DAC to full, and let the pre-amp control the volume.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information