• 10-10-2005, 05:47 AM
    Vincin
    Another newbie seeking advice
    Only found this forum recently and reading your posts (and debate) - extremely useful for beginners such as myself!!!

Im currently looking to upgrade the source for my stereo system. A local dealer lended me a DAC that has a pre-amp in it. Just for my understanding:

1) connecting the DAC to the current integrated amp (using RCA interconnects), am I using both pre-amps in the DAC and integrated amp? believe both dont have by-pass function.

2) if yes, does this complicate things, as signals are going through more circuits, and thus degrade the sound?

3) Can someone pls explain what exactly the pre-amp and power amp do to the sound signals respectively? I sort of understand the both are to "amplify" the signals.

Thanks.
  • 10-10-2005, 09:00 AM
    Geoffcin
    DAC's both decode, and amplify the signal
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincin
    Only found this forum recently and reading your posts (and debate) - extremely useful for beginners such as myself!!!

Im currently looking to upgrade the source for my stereo system. A local dealer lended me a DAC that has a pre-amp in it. Just for my understanding:

1) connecting the DAC to the current integrated amp (using RCA interconnects), am I using both pre-amps in the DAC and integrated amp? believe both dont have by-pass function.

2) if yes, does this complicate things, as signals are going through more circuits, and thus degrade the sound?

3) Can someone pls explain what exactly the pre-amp and power amp do to the sound signals respectively? I sort of understand the both are to "amplify" the signals.

Thanks.

To provide a "line level" output. The CD standard output is 2v. The DAC you have might also have a volume control, so it can be used as a stand alone unit you can plug directly into an amplifier. Amplifiers need a pre-amp to control the volume and do the switching between inputs. Your intergrated amp has both function in one box. Your DAC, if it has a volume control, can be either plugged directly into an amp or a pre-amp. If you plug it into a pre-amp section of your intergrated amp then you should turn the volume on the DAC to full, and let the pre-amp control the volume.