AR Newbie Registered Member

NAD 3020e problem

hi, i wonder if anyone could help me.

Was just moving my computer about and the lead that takes the audio to my amp came loose and i think the two metal bits of the phono leads touched each other and my speakers started repeatedly barking at me in about 3 second intervals. I even turnde the volume down on the amp and it still carried on doing it.

unplugged the amp from speakers and switched off and then back on again and it sounds like a car does when starter motor has gone. It just clicks over in three second intervals like there is something stuck and not letting it power up.

Is it something as siimple as an internal fuse that's blown or does it sound more serious than that?

I'm a bit of a technophobe with very basic knowledge so if anyone can help it would be cool if you could use layman's language.

thanks very much

Hetixo

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hetixo
    hi, i wonder if anyone could help me.

Was just moving my computer about and the lead that takes the audio to my amp came loose and i think the two metal bits of the phono leads touched each other and my speakers started repeatedly barking at me in about 3 second intervals. I even turnde the volume down on the amp and it still carried on doing it.

unplugged the amp from speakers and switched off and then back on again and it sounds like a car does when starter motor has gone. It just clicks over in three second intervals like there is something stuck and not letting it power up.

Is it something as siimple as an internal fuse that's blown or does it sound more serious than that?

I'm a bit of a technophobe with very basic knowledge so if anyone can help it would be cool if you could use layman's language.

thanks very much

Hetixo
    The clicking is probably caused by the thermal breaker in the output stage,
    when the output current is abnormally high, the thermal breaker will intermittently cut out and pruduce the clicking mechanical sound.

please check if the speakers are shorted or something else shorted the output.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    hi and thanks for reply - sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you about it.

Nothing as far as I can tell has shorted. The computer is fine, and so are the speakers. I've just replaced the amp with the exact same model and everything is working fine as before the problem occurred, all wired to the same appliances.

Is the thermal breaker easily fixed, or is it not worth it on such an old amp?

Regards

Hetixo

Thread Information