Pioneer SM-B200A AM/FM stereo

Anyone got any info on this receiver? Might have a chance to pick up. It seems to
    be the first receiver (tube) that Pioneer produced. The only thing, I can't get any info
    on is the watt power and the phono stage (MM or MC)?

Love to have it just for the nostalgia factor, maybe it will turn out to be a great tube alternative
    for my TT.

You know I appreciate any help!

Cheers.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    The wattage will be low, I would guess no more than 20 wpc. That's an old unit!! It would most certainly need upgrading. Caps and resistors for sure. The transformer would need to be looked at also.

I wouldn't pay too much money if I was you, even fully restored, it won't be the mightiest amp. If it has the original tubes, particularily the 12AX7's, it would have a bit more value.

I wouldn't recommend using the phono stage in it, even if upgraded. You would be best to buy an external pre amp for your TT and plug into the line stage.

How much is he asking?

He's asking 100.00. I think it takes 6mb (?) tubes, instead of 12ax7's. I might be bitting off more than I can chew. I was going to use it exclusively for my TT, and run it through my Mini Monitors. I thought the phono stage would be decent, but maybe not. It's so cool though.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    As I said, the amp will need work. Then again, that's entirely up to you. It was made in the 60's, the parts and components are tired.

As far as the phono stage goes, it's age will make it inferior to even a modern budget stage. I would suggest the Audio Technica available from Needle Doctor for $40, check the closeout section.

Just like you, I bought an Eico HF-85, fully tubed, thiinking I would use the RIAA circuit for my table. I was rudely awakened. I will get the work done to upgrade it, but I think the comprimise of my Creek OBH-18 is a fine one.

I would only pay $100 if ALL the tubes are working and original AND the aesthetics are pleasing. If it's decaying, forget about it. For $200/300 more dollars you could have a brand new Miniwatt. Remember, to make it sound lovely, it will require work which will cost money.

BTW, it uses 12AX7 in the preamp circuit, dual 6BM8's for power and a single 5AR4 rectifier. A nice complement used on a few amps of that time. I'm sure when fully upgraded, it would sound nice.

Thread Information