Forum Regular

amplifier burning help1!!!!!

got a electrical failure on my home and during that time i was listening to my music. When my power is back up .. my amp wont work anymore... i can see the power lights but no sound. however i did smell abit of burning thing inside my amp.... i couldnt really open my amplifier case becoz i need to use special screw driver to open it.

Can you tell me how much to repair... and what things will the mechanic change my spare parts? i dont wanna get cheated by them coz i already did cheated by someone few years back.. please help me!!!!!!!

Stereo Amplifier : Audiolab 8000A

I like this amp very much pls help me ok!! it doesnt cost cheap.....

Forum Regular
    Here is a link to show u.. u need to save it and use the magnifiying glass to see my drawings.

no1: it is burned ... that small tiny thing .. i dont know what u called it... its like a fat needle or someything.....

http://yakuzaer.bravehost.com/audiolab1.jpg

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero_honda
    Here is a link to show u.. u need to save it and use the magnifiying glass to see my drawings.

no1: it is burned ... that small tiny thing .. i dont know what u called it... its like a fat needle or someything.....

http://yakuzaer.bravehost.com/audiolab1.jpg
    The link you provided does not work. Nevertheless, no one can properly diagnose your problem over the Internet just by looking at pictures. You need to have a technician check your amp out thoroughly. Any number of components in your amp could have been burnt out by the turn-on surge when your household power came back. I understand that you were cheated by some unscrupulous technician in the past but you need to put that behind you. Life has its ups and downs and you have to take chances. If ever your power goes out again, unplug and/or turn off all electrical equipment in the home.

Forum Regular
    Hero_Honda!

What part of the world do you live in? The parts you have pointed to are a pair of 1/4w resistors, and the main output transistor for the "left" channel, based on convention. Typically the base resistor is only a couple of ohms, and once the power transistor it is connected to becomes a short, they quickly overheat. The protection circuit may activate to shut of BOTH channels, but perhaps only one channel is damaged. Labor to perform the rebuild will likely be a couple of hours at $60-$100 per hour, and parts will run up to about $50, assuming they are limited to that one channel. The only hiccup can be "house marked" transistors, which become difficult to cross reference without help from the original manufacturer.

Glen B is right that there could be hidden surprises and damage to other areas that could drive the cost up, but if what you have described seems the extent of it, it should run about $250 to fix.

Hope that helps...

“The only thing to be Patriotic about is the Truth.”
    MAS

Thread Information