AR Newbie Registered Member

Amp for Vienna Acoustics

I have a pair of Vienna Acoustics Beethovens. Music I listen to is jazz, classic rock, bluegrass. I love the clean natural sound. I love them, but feel I'm not tapping into their potential. I use them mainly for 2 channel audio and sometimes for HT. Powered right now by a Denon AVR 1803. Any recommendations on upgrading for better 2 channel sound? Should I go for a high end 2-channel amp or a better 5.1 channel HT reciever? Music is my priority.

If you prefer 2 channel sound for music, which most here do except in hi-rez, adding a separate amp will work wonders. In checking Sumiko's website, the only Beethovens I could find were the Concert Grands. Please don't tell me you are pushing $5k speakers with an entry level Denon receiver? That can't be right, can it? If you are using the CG's, your problem is right on the spec sheet: 4 ohm nominal load. It doesn't say what the minimum is, but you can bet it's well below 4 and therein lies your problem. These speakers aren't that easy to drive and are going to need an amp that can keep up.

What's your budget?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ziabob
    I have a pair of Vienna Acoustics Beethovens. Music I listen to is jazz, classic rock, bluegrass. I love the clean natural sound. I love them, but feel I'm not tapping into their potential. I use them mainly for 2 channel audio and sometimes for HT. Powered right now by a Denon AVR 1803. Any recommendations on upgrading for better 2 channel sound? Should I go for a high end 2-channel amp or a better 5.1 channel HT reciever? Music is my priority.

I have a pair of Vienna Hadyn, I am using Musical Fadelity A3.2 Int.amp to match.
    Just great for vocal jazz or classical music.
    I would suggest to you better go for a 2 channel amp for your wonderful speakers.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Amp for VA Beethovens

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    If you prefer 2 channel sound for music, which most here do except in hi-rez, adding a separate amp will work wonders. In checking Sumiko's website, the only Beethovens I could find were the Concert Grands. Please don't tell me you are pushing $5k speakers with an entry level Denon receiver? That can't be right, can it? If you are using the CG's, your problem is right on the spec sheet: 4 ohm nominal load. It doesn't say what the minimum is, but you can bet it's well below 4 and therein lies your problem. These speakers aren't that easy to drive and are going to need an amp that can keep up.

What's your budget?

Apparently I have more money than brains. Just kidding! I have no idea what a reasonable amount would be to spend on an amp. How about around $1,000 plus or minus? Another question - if I do get a a good 2 channel amp, can these speakers still double as front stereo speakers for HT use with the Denon? Thanks for your help - clearly I need it!

You can absolutely use your Denon as a pre/pro and have the two channel amp run your mains for stereo listening. Simply hook the amp up to the pre-outs in the back of the Denon and it will drive the Beethovens while the Denon will drive the center and surrounds. Simple.

Choosing the right amp won't be as simple. You're going to have to demo as many units as you can find until you find the right synergistic match for your system. There are solid states amps, tubes, switching amps, and hybrids to consider. Personally, I prefer switching amps, but I wouldn't turn down a nice ARC or BAT tube amp should someone want to give it to me .

For a new amp around $1K, I'd look into Rotel, B&K, and Parasound. Tubes at this price point most likely won't have enough balls to do both music and movies. You should really consider going used as this will allow you a whole new world of options. As a general rule, pre-owned amps are one of the safest investments you can make as there aren't any moving parts to break or wear down. A quick perusal at audiogon.com turned up notable amps from BAT, Bel Canto, ARC, Classe, Parasound Halo, PS Audio and Bryston to name but a few. All are within negotiable range of $1K and all would would better the base offering of the previous trio of brands I mentioned.

The good news is you about to discover the importance of a good amp. You're also about to get your music back so enjoy the ride.

Hope this helps.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    If you're serious about two channel stop buying revceivers. The top of the line Pioneer Elite denon and Yamahas are pathetic - so heaven help the 1803. They are the equivalent of Lexmark all in one printers - they do everything at the absolute minimum of quality - if you want a good photocopy get a real photocopier or a great photo get a good photo printer. If the Denon has preots then buy a power amp.

If the speaker is real tough to drive then that would be my choice - if they're not too hard to drive I would look at something like the AQ1003DT, Jolida 302B or tha Audio Refinement Complete as the absolute bare minimums in quality amplification. if the speakers are tough to drive Musical Fidelity is a reasonable option as is Bryston.

I would not buy a new power amp - used very good Brystons can be had for a good price - Rotel as well real cheap on the used market.

http://www.divertech.com/antiquesl.html#INTEGRATED
    http://www.jolida.com/catalogue/tubeamp.shtml
    http://www.audiorefinement.com/

All of these require a fairly easy to drive speaker.

I read that the Vienna Bach and Mozart are around 6ohm 91db, tube happy, not sure about this model. Agreed with the Audio Refinement Complete also - I just upgraded to this amp from Rotel. Very big improvement, and my speaks are like 87db 4ohm, so you should definately be fine with the Complete. As for the tubes, not knowing if the Beethovens are as efficient it's hard to say. Here's the Complete I just bought on audiogon.com for $450 ($1050 new) - http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1112335573. The Jolida JD1501RC is an 100wpc integrated with a tube preamp and remote which is said to sound very good also, http://www.jolida.com/catalogue/models/jd1501rc.shtml. Underwood HiFi sells this for $590 new - see audiogon. They also have a 50wpc version, no remote. I would say that is the minimum power you should get. Power is not an indication of sound quality though, so forget the receivers high wpc rating - throw them in the trash (or on ebay). Thats the big daddy of the Vienna family, get it some high quality electronics, it will reward you greatly.

I just looked it up, the Beethoven is 4ohm 91db, fairly efficient but the 4ohm is fine for something like the Complete or Jolida - not sure about tube amps.
    Last edited by psonic; 02-05-2005 at 09:55 AM.
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

"hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

RGA
    Forum Regular
    The impedence isn;t a problem if it's stable at 4 ohms because the tube amps have 4ohm pots(well many do so one would need to check). 91db is good - the OTO SE at 9 watts has a 4 ohm tap which would drive the Vienna's well I shoul think - it will depend on the min to maximum ohm swing of the speaker which is rarely addressed.

The Jolida and ASL are above 30 watts. Here's a review http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...slaq1003dt.htm

Thread Information