Forum Regular

between Classe and Musical Fidelity......

Hi guys,

I would like to make the right choose between Classe and Musical Fidelity. I want to buy an integrated amplifier from one of these brands. It will be powering a set of Paradigm Studio 100 V2. My musical preferences are light rock and pop singers. I am looking for the best audio quality, and I know both are excellents.. I like to listening to every detail so I am not a fan of amplifiers extremely smooth, like B&K or Rotel. I prefer that my integrated be near to the bright side so this is the problem. Which of them will be right to my taste or close to my taste? Thanks for your time and any information is welcome.

Jorge.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    If you're looking for bright, then a Classe amp is not the answer. Classe amps tend to have a mellow, tube-like presentation bordering on dark.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    For what you want - MF.

How bout buying a Bryston Power amp and with a preamp from another manufacturer or Used for the same money.

Quote Originally Posted by dvjorge
    Hi guys,

I would like to make the right choose between Classe and Musical Fidelity. I want to buy an integrated amplifier from one of these brands. It will be powering a set of Paradigm Studio 100 V2. My musical preferences are light rock and pop singers. I am looking for the best audio quality, and I know both are excellents.. I like to listening to every detail so I am not a fan of amplifiers extremely smooth, like B&K or Rotel. I prefer that my integrated be near to the bright side so this is the problem. Which of them will be right to my taste or close to my taste? Thanks for your time and any information is welcome.

Jorge.
    You might look into Odyssey's Stratos and preamp (whatever it's called). You want, bright? Klaus has got your bright right here! Very detailed and the complete antithesis of smooth, tube sound.

(Klaus is the guy at Odyssey, btw).

Forum Regular

There are some options.....

Ok guys, I don't want a bright amplifier. I mean a quality amplifier but close to the bright sound. Something like Arcam, MF, Bryston. The other side may be Rotel, B&K, Classe, etc. I can live with Arcam but I am not thinking about Nad, Adcom, Rotel, and other entry level amplifiers. I want something up like MF, Arcam, might be Bryston. I can not afford other brands like Mark Levinson, Balance Audio, Krell, Jeff Rowland, etc. What about Bryston Can I say Bryston is a hi- end brand? Is it one of the best amplifier made in Canada? I don't have experience with them. I would like to hear opinions. Thanks,
    Jorge.

AR Elite Member
    bump, cuz I guess I'm looking for a similar type of amp, but more neutral.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Technically - Bryston is about as good as Solid State technology gets - after that it is mostly audio Jewelry. The question is will you like the amplifier's chariceristics or not. I would take Brytston over Classe or Musical Fidelity in a heartbeat - but depnding on the speaker I maight take YBA or even Rotel. Rotel isn't given the credit it deserves.

I look for amps that compliment the speakers well. Basically they're a rock speaker - You won't find another amplifier that has the magnitude of driver control that is better than Bryston or better built than Bryston. If i were to consider buying a SS amp - and I might for my second sytem - you would have to convince me NOT to go with Bryston - given that they're not obscenely priced.

Bryston is most certainly high end.

Forum Regular
    I just recently had a chance to sit down with a Classe CA 201, a Bryston 3B SST and a MF A3.2cr.

That Classe amp cost a fortune and it was very smooth and dark. It had about a half inch of aluminum on it's face plate (talk about audio jewlery), and was definetly not the amp for me.

The Bryston amps are fantastic and really have a nice bass quality about them. They are very neuteral and built like tanks (and look like 'em too) and also come with a 20 year transferrable warrantee! I do believe that the Bryston amps are the best built amps in canada.

The MF was the best of the bunch though with a clairity like no other and had the best all around bass mid and high. It was probably the Choke regulation that made it able to achieve this. It was also a great price and looker to boot (build quality is outstanding).

Go with MF, you won't regret it.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I'm going to agree

Quote Originally Posted by Waxxiemann
    I just recently had a chance to sit down with a Classe CA 201, a Bryston 3B SST and a MF A3.2cr.

That Classe amp cost a fortune and it was very smooth and dark. It had about a half inch of aluminum on it's face plate (talk about audio jewlery), and was definetly not the amp for me.

The Bryston amps are fantastic and really have a nice bass quality about them. They are very neuteral and built like tanks (and look like 'em too) and also come with a 20 year transferrable warrantee! I do believe that the Bryston amps are the best built amps in canada.

The MF was the best of the bunch though with a clairity like no other and had the best all around bass mid and high. It was probably the Choke regulation that made it able to achieve this. It was also a great price and looker to boot (build quality is outstanding).

Go with MF, you won't regret it.
    The Musical Fidelity is capable of incredibly resolution, especially in the upper range. Glare free, with a responce that extends well past human hearing. The problem with this is that if you also have a system capable of high resolution then all the flaws in the recordings become more focused. It seem that the better I get my system the less of my recordings I am enjoying. That's a little bit harsh I know, but it's like HDTV to standard video; it's a great idea until you see that your favorite actress has a nasty skin condition that you never saw before!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information