Thread: Amp Showdown

Amp Showdown

Hi AR.com members,

I have two amps that I cannot find the specs for and need advice on. They both sound pretty decent but I wanted the opinions of the best conglomeration of audiophiles on the web (that is you guys and gals ). I have a tube preamp that I want to run through either a NAD 2400 THX or a Pioneer VSX-D1S. I have tried A/Bing them but the set up time plugging and unplugging takes too long and it seems that my "audio memory" sucks worse than a pair of 1987 Jenson 6x9s. The reviews of each amp are great but I am just going to be using the Pioneer as an amp, Also, when I run out of the pre into the Amp In jack of the Pioneer I can't use the volume on the Pioneer! I have to use the volume on the pre. No biggie but what gives, man, what gives?

Thanks in advance folks- I REALLY appreciate the time and expertise!
    The round mound of rebound sound is profound and bound to pound the ground. OK, I got nuthin.....

Suspended
    We really need a bit more info. I'm assuming the Pioneer is an integrated amp and you went from a preamp into the power amp section of the Pioneer by taking the jumpers out of the pre to power jacks. If this is the case, simple, you bypassed the Pioneer's preamp section which includes the volume control. Those jumpers connect the Pioneer's preamp and power amp so taking them out separates them. Why would you need two volume controls any way?

HI Mr. Peabody,

Thanks for your reply! I indeed have removed the jumpers on the Pioneer and am running my preamp into the "Power in" input on the Pioneer. I would have thought that I would be able to use the volume control on the Pioneer but it has no effect. Is this normal when using an integrated amp for it's amp function only? Also, I guess my bigger question is which amplifier would you use, the amp section of the older Pioneer VSX-D1S (regarded by some as one of Pioneer's finest integrated amp) or the NAD 2400 THX which is only an amp? I wish I had some audiophile friends living nearby! ha ha- thanks for your thoughts btw.
    The round mound of rebound sound is profound and bound to pound the ground. OK, I got nuthin.....

Suspended
    It's normal not to be able to use the volume when you remove the jumpers. Think of the Pioneer as a preamp & power amp in one box and those jumpers are what connect them together, so when the jumpers are removed the preamp (volume, tone controls etc.) will not effect the power amp any longer because they have been disconnected.

I personally would guess the NAD would be the better power amp. If not too much trouble you could try it both ways to see which you like best. What preamp do you have? Another experiment would be to connect the NAD to the Pioneer preamp output. Also, what speakers are you driving?

I tried swapping both amps but without being able to do a quick A/B test like I would be able to do with speakers it was hard to tell. I have an Audio Experience Symphonies Plus tube preamp that sounds great. Also, I am driving a pair of Allison Four speakers. I have a pair of Klipsch KLF-10s but they don't fit well into the space I have. I also have a NAD 3150 integrated that has been giving me troubles (one of the channels keeps going in and out). If it is the power amp section of the 3150 that is the trouble then maybe I will experiment by using it as the preamp. I love mixing and matching- it is a great way to eat up an afternoon! My girlfriend wants to punch me in the face for it but oh well!

Suspended
    The tube preamp with the NAD power amp should be your best combo. Even though the Pioneer is said to be a good integrated I doubt the amp section would compare to a NAD dedicated power amp.

Welcome to AR.

That is how I had it before- thanks for verifying my original setup! Have a great Friday and weekend. BTW- you have some sweet equipment (I am jealous!). My questions to you are rather like a Yugo owner asking a Ferrari owner about which model Yogo he thought was the fastest. ha ha Thanks again.

Suspended
    You are welcome and keep in mind most of us started with receivers or worse and worked our way up.

Thread Information